Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

United States presidential election in West Virginia, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, referring to the 2008 election for President...

I can understand Morgantown, Martinsburg, Charleston, and Welch/Bluefield.

What I don't understand is those two blue splotches in the middle of WV! What's there? What's the speculation of what makes them blue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 AM

120 posts, read 401,870 times
The counties are Braxton and Webster, but as to why they are blue, I do not know. Also, you identified Boone County as "Charleston" (Kanawha County). I am not intimately familiar with these locations. They are in two separate congressional districts as well, so perhaps it has to do with local politics (a popular local Democrat campaigning for Obama). Additionally, if you look at the election breakdown on the link that you provided, Obama only won in Braxton by less than 100 votes and in Webster by less than 200 votes...Point being that it's not as if these counties heavily favored Obama (e.g. Boone County favored Obama by almost a 1,000 votes).

Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,858 times
Also, the map has Jefferson County as blue ~ Martinsburg is in Berkeley County. The blue is *probably* because of Shepherdstown and the county's large influx of Montgomery County, MD and DC residents relocating to Jefferson County.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDom View Post
The counties are Braxton and Webster, but as to why they are blue, I do not know. Also, you identified Boone County as "Charleston" (Kanawha County). I am not intimately familiar with these locations. They are in two separate congressional districts as well, so perhaps it has to do with local politics (a popular local Democrat campaigning for Obama). Additionally, if you look at the election breakdown on the link that you provided, Obama only won in Braxton by less than 100 votes and in Webster by less than 200 votes...Point being that it's not as if these counties heavily favored Obama (e.g. Boone County favored Obama by almost a 1,000 votes).
Very true. It's also true that if the contest were between clinton and mccain, WV would have went clinton by large majority. The issues aren't about red vs blue, female vs male, or black vs white that populist media tried to sell america. Most people are intelligent enough to sniff those hack stereotypes and push them aside. IMO WV'ns are just more down to earth, pragmatic, and working class.

Charleston today has 2 bumper stickers floating around. Obama 2008, and Obama is traitor, we hope you're happy. Very few McCain stickers, which suggests to me that they were not voting for McCain as much as they were voting against Obama and McCains moderate history was the defacto lesser of evils. Didn't see Ron Paul stickers, but I find it heartening to hear WV'ns talk about issues citing his perspective, as well as other candidates who didn't make it to the top 2. Just an observation.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 PM

I do find the politics of West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania to be interesting.

Mostly because they just don't fit into EITHER party worldview...it seems they are constantly doing a 'well, its better than...' type of thing each election and going back and forth.

I find it REAL hard to sit and listen to anyone who just has solid solid 'blue' or solid solid 'red' views that toe the Party Line on every single issue that comes up - i.e. no thought process/personal opinion that is actually their own on any issue beyond their general 'party' dictating them what to say and think.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Tiger not sure if you're american living abroad or are native to another country, but america as a whole has been holding it's nose for decades regarding political representation and policy. Many have been voting the lesser evil, or abstaining from voting at all, for a very very long time.

I attribute this to the parties themselves being in need of growing up. I believe most citizens are frustrated. I know I am. I've been 3rd party for about 30 odd years and no candidate of mine has ever had a legit shot at the job. Still, I hold fast to being 3rd party. I'm not native to WV, can't speak for everyone, but this is my home now by choice, and it's how I feel.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
They'll have unified field theory in physics figured out before anyone figures out why people in WV vote the way they do.

Just how it is.

Back in '08, the morons in the media that were trying to figure out the reasons behind WVians voting habits provided us all with many chuckles...

Old 01-15-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Tiger not sure if you're american living abroad or are native to another country, but america as a whole has been holding it's nose for decades regarding political representation and policy. Many have been voting the lesser evil, or abstaining from voting at all, for a very very long time.
I'm an American abroad.

In my observation though...it seems most of the country is very divided and very opinionated with their party.

On one hand, you have half of the population that believe Rush Limbaugh and Fox News are Gospel...and just reiterate whatever strange bizarre things are said on those entertainment programs.

On the other hand, you have the characture 'liberal'...which leave a lot to be desired from that party as well...i.e. Section 8 vouchers being handed out like candy, etc.

Most states seem to be very strongly either one or the other. Then there are the libertarians which gain a lot of traction in some of the Western states like Wyoming, Montana, etc. They're a bit more interesting, at least knowing there is NO ONE representing middle class interests, they decide to support NO MONEY going to prop up either wealthy elites or the poorest of the poor.

I think WV and it seems western PA is similar...they are both regions where people just want to WORK...they just want to be employed and have their jobs. They aren't looking for free-hand out parties...and they recognize that pure-greed yuppie-dom isn't the solution either (i.e. Republicans).

In my observation most of the country buys almost entirely into one of the two parties, and never differentiates on any issue beyond what their selective party tells them to think.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:52 AM

312 posts, read 1,059,593 times
Whoever finds the answer to this question, will own the world. Or at least do very well in advertising/public relations. People are led to sacrifice their lives for beliefs they don't even fully understand. I learned that in Viet Nam.
West Virginia has it's share of rebel-flag wavin', "my-way-or-the-highway" types, but so does Ca. and every other place I've been. People are led by groupthink, media influences, tradition, rumor and who-knows-what-else, but What surprises me is the number of West Virginians who have a sense of individuality, a sense of reason, a sense of humor. Way to go, West Virginia!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 AM

120 posts, read 401,870 times
I tend to agree that many individuals, "tow the party line." I am not at all encouraging that behavior; however, I have a suspicion as to why one would do so. I don't want to make this a political debate (Democrat versus Republican) as to which side of the aisle is "better." If you identify as a member of a certain party and are politically conscience, it's likely because of the foundation / fundamental principles expounded by that party. Many voters may overlook certain policies that they disagree with because they want the the fundamental ideology of their party to prevail. "Candidate X may not be a perfect candidate and has some flaws, but dammit, he's a member of my party and my party believes in X, which is extremely important to me." Try to get a WVian to vote for a candidate that desires to restrict the second amendment. Try to get a self-identified feminist to vote for an anti-abortion candidate. Try to get a retired military officer to vote for a candidate that wants to reduce the defense budget. My point is that we all individually have issues that are important to us--The party that traditionally supports those issues is who we'll likely pull the lever for.

Again, I am not implying that this is a legitimate strategy, but let's say that an individual relocates to a new community and desires to fulfill their civic duty by voting in the election. There are two names on the ballot, a Democrat and Republican. Knowing absolutely nothing about either candidate, an individual is likely to vote the party line. "I'm going to vote for the Republican because that candidate likely supports small government, is a Christian, pro-life, etc. and I want those ideologies to prevail." --OR-- "I'm going to vote for the Democrat because that candidate will likely defend the poor class, is pro-choice, etc. and I want those ideologies to prevail." I can even envision a member of a third party implementing the same voting philosophy: "I know that my candidate has no chance to win the election, but I am going to vote for him because I want to send the message that I am dissatisfied with the two major parties."

Just my two cents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia