U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 PM

191 posts, read 739,751 times

Advertisements

Watching Kennedy on the debate with Blankenship, and wondering just how much misinformation he can cram into one sentence. He feels that the mining industry is evil because it doesn't employ all the miners that it once did. Does he think that coal should still be mined with a pick and shovel. And besides, what American industry hasn't mechanized. GM and Ford and Chrysler build cars with robots. I was in a light bulb factory in Warren, OH a few years ago, and there was a great deal of automation. Of course WV mining is automated.

We real West Virginians that were born here really don't need people like that to come in and save us.

At least environmentalists Judy Bonds and Marie Gunnoe are actually from here.

And at least Mr. B. was professional enough to refer to Kennedy as Mr. Kennedy, while his adversary continually referred to Mr. B. as Don. Where's the class in that, or in a voice sounding like he just smoked 29 cigars in a row???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 AM

938 posts, read 2,638,658 times
Yes...that beacon of light and honesty known as Don Blankenship...

I don't like politicians...but I dislike capitalists that use economic leverage to exploit people even more...and that's Blankenship in a nutshell. Really, what's your point? "Ol' Donny Boy might be a fascist...but he's OUR fascist?"

I love the types of debates where both sides are wrong...yet, ironically, I hate American politics...huh...

Old 01-22-2010, 03:33 AM

11,944 posts, read 13,186,086 times
I haven't heard very nice things said about Blankenship by the few miners I've met. Impressions do go a long way until information voids are filled in with facts.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,162,402 times
To make one thing perfectly clear, (if anybody was wondering)...that person on the boob-tube debate the other night was not me...nor any member of my family...

Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 PM

LOL DK, easy enough I haven't had my TV plugged into the wall since 6 mos prior election. I just couldn't take the trash talk and it appears keeping it unplugged is a safe bet.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:25 AM

297 posts, read 954,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
LOL DK, easy enough I haven't had my TV plugged into the wall since 6 mos prior election. I just couldn't take the trash talk and it appears keeping it unplugged is a safe bet.
Same here. Cable news just turned me against TV, so when we moved we decided to skip it. I get enough news from the internet, and actually do things now, other that sit in semi-conscious suspended animation having my senses mauled. Like John Prine said years ago, "Blow up your TV". I highly recommend it. It's amazing.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 AM

hahahaa city when these jokers go on overtime with the sales pitch- My rule is never pay anyone for the privilege of abusing you.

Sanity is a precious commodity these days, but don't let on to speculators or they'll start betting on that too.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 PM

1,528 posts, read 3,615,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
Watching Kennedy on the debate with Blankenship, and wondering just how much misinformation he can cram into one sentence. He feels that the mining industry is evil because it doesn't employ all the miners that it once did. Does he think that coal should still be mined with a pick and shovel. And besides, what American industry hasn't mechanized. GM and Ford and Chrysler build cars with robots. I was in a light bulb factory in Warren, OH a few years ago, and there was a great deal of automation. Of course WV mining is automated.

We real West Virginians that were born here really don't need people like that to come in and save us.

At least environmentalists Judy Bonds and Marie Gunnoe are actually from here.

And at least Mr. B. was professional enough to refer to Kennedy as Mr. Kennedy, while his adversary continually referred to Mr. B. as Don. Where's the class in that, or in a voice sounding like he just smoked 29 cigars in a row???
Yet the state apparently needs major out of state corporations like Massey Energy to save them by blowing apart the mountains and polluting waterways..There can be compromise on both sides. And if you truly believe Don Blankenship is an honest person then I have some oceanfront property in Welch to sell you.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:52 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,162,402 times
If I remember correctly, A.T. Massey hired DB to run his coal business in Wv.

He was being paid 1 million dollars per year to do that. (A paltry sum for the job, the responsibility and getting shot at several times)

I admire DB. He is his own man and kisses NO BUTT.

A person working for Massey makes a choice to work non union and for the low wage.
Those are business dictates.

It is not a welfare company as it does put bread on the table and money in the county coffers.

If there was any real problem with Massey Energy, the State of Wv would send back the Coal Severance Taxes they collect each month and shut them down.

Coal, Electric, Gas and Oil Companies have a host of Lawyers on their staffs...they write the energy laws that are being delivered to Charleston at this moment,

What will be voted on this term is the crafted jargon that will benefit these companies...in turn they will host a thank-you dinner, give out some cruise tickets to Bermuda and send a big check to various campaign funds...

PS Don Blankenship is as honest as anybody else in C-town this month...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia