Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 AM

19,375 posts, read 22,315,065 times

Advertisements

My vote would be Elkins and surrounds.

However I really would love to live around Franklin. Not too far from Harrisonburg, Moorefield and Petersburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,968,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker-Tailor-Gal View Post
Hey thanks CT, I actually tried to go look at a place in Kingwood...but got lost..HA HA!

Maybe Ill give it another try.
AND MEGAN...I was in Buckhannon when I first got to the area, BUT am renting in ELKINS now.
Id love to say hi & see how you are doing. ( I dont know if a person can post their e-mail here...but I will put it here if you want to contact me...in 'code'; cj (no space) mcgannon ( at ) Gee ( NO double Es) dot com. Talk soon! TB
I think you'd really fit well in the Elkins area. There Augusta Heritage Festival every year, the Forest Festival, and numerous other venues for entertainment. The Elkins library, Randolph County Community Arts Center are true jewels of the city. The tourism industry is obviously very large and influential in the area. Up until the last 5-10 years Elkins was the nearest city to places like Snowshoe, Canaan Valley, Timberline, Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rocks, etc.

But now Elkins is developing it's own heritage tourism with the Tygart Flyer train, American Mountain Theater (don't forget about the Old Brick Playhouse), the future West Virginia Railroad Museum, as well as the redevelopment and remodeling of the former Delmonte' Hotel and the Darden Mill in the railyard. Once C-Hope accomplishes that it will be really phenomenal, it will house traditional artisans’ working studios as well as a Discovery Center for the Appalachian Forest Heritage Area, including displays about the Mill and Elkins' industrial heritage.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM

9 posts, read 19,701 times
OMG!...IT sound awesome, and I stumbled in here with a broken foot wanting to learn to clog!...
God looks after fools & small children!
So...I guess I was led!
Hey thanks again.... Im amazed at how much you know...you must live around here.

Ive been looking at some houses I can afford...but they are all trashed inside...sniffle...
But where theres a will theres away & I'll get home pretty soon.

Take care.
TB

Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,968,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker-Tailor-Gal View Post
OMG!...IT sound awesome, and I stumbled in here with a broken foot wanting to learn to clog!...
God looks after fools & small children!
So...I guess I was led!
Hey thanks again.... Im amazed at how much you know...you must live around here.

Ive been looking at some houses I can afford...but they are all trashed inside...sniffle...
But where theres a will theres away & I'll get home pretty soon.

Take care.
TB
LOL I lived there for 18 years until I left for college.. I go back once a month or every six weeks or so to see my family.

About owning a home... Check with the Randolph County Home Ownership Center an organization ran by the Randolph County Housing Authority. They're non-profit and work with people buying homes. They can help with the process and negotiate with the local banks and mortgage companies. That could be helpful!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:01 AM

37 posts, read 103,494 times
I live in Buckhannon but have always loved Elkins as there seems to be more of the Art and culture appreciation and it seemed to flourish and be recognized. I look for Real Estate prices to come down some this year as things have been elevated for quite some time. I attribute that to out-of-state people driving the market up because they loved it here, wanted to come here and were willing and able to pay more than the average local person for a place. SInce the whole country economy and housing in particular has declined, loans too are tighter to get, the pool of buyers has lessened and hopefully prices will adjust...

Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,725,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady of the Lake 1959 View Post
I live in Buckhannon but have always loved Elkins as there seems to be more of the Art and culture appreciation and it seemed to flourish and be recognized. I look for Real Estate prices to come down some this year as things have been elevated for quite some time. I attribute that to out-of-state people driving the market up because they loved it here, wanted to come here and were willing and able to pay more than the average local person for a place. SInce the whole country economy and housing in particular has declined, loans too are tighter to get, the pool of buyers has lessened and hopefully prices will adjust...
This game of musical chairs on national scale was fueled by finance industry using RE as poker chip. The sooner we can get back to reality where wages and cost of housing has a relationship again, that's when your house will become available. I think there will come a point where nomadic lifestyles chasing jobs around are going to fall out of favor.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Dear Lake and harbor ladies...(!!!) ( water Lilies ) Thanks for the input. I guess I am part of the problem, :- ( , being a nomad.
It is ironic how working artists & crafts people , live at and around minimum wage, and inevitably inhabit out of the way or undesirable places to find affordable housing. THen they fix them up, add ambiance to the community, which then gets noticed, becomes more desirable, the well heeled arrive , the prices got up...then the artists and crafts people, poets, mystics etc...can no longer afford to live there, or the place changes ...gets too precious, and they move away...to start the cycle over again.
Im not complaining...'we make our beds...and must then lay in them', as the saying goes.
Its some kind of human cycle, a food chain thing or such.
So...difficult as it is, it is fun ( in a way ) to be adding color & value to a place one admires...even while never easy.
Part of the artists job..I guess.
Hey ..thanks for the 'hopeful' forecast. I'm waiting and watching.
cheers. TB

Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 PM

Tink I hear you. I became priced out of my home town for a few decades because of gentrification. In other words, yuppie hype LOL. Even in lower manhattan where econo real estate used to be available for artists in SOHO and canal street... all of a sudden everyone had to be there and that crummy loft was inflated to a million in no time flat. Yuppies are weird in that they like the idea of artsy community, they just have no tolerance for the artists themselves and go very far out of their way to regulate them out. Keep some hollow reminders of what artists used to be around in a museum but paint the town beige. Go figure.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 AM

LADY!... YOU are SO SO right!....You have it in a nut shell! ANd put it so finely.

I have lived in (on) The lower east side, CT, San Francisco, Flagstaff, Sedona, Near Santa Fe, Silver City , near Ashville, Old Bombay, and in Ireland to name a few places. I had the ( good?) fortune of being there BEFORE all the above mentioned 'improvements' had fully taken place.
( Being 'Senior" has its perks! ha.)
I am here in part because NM is becoming unbearable.
( not its lovely skys!)
I fled before a tsunami of Californians fleeing their wrecked economy, and worsening natural disasters. I am not mad at them. They have the right to seek happiness. BUT...some many peoples happiness seems to depend on displacing 'natives'...or using their lower cost labor to live 'finely'.
Well it is as it ever has been I suppose. All part of an oddly twisted ...'natural order."

My last and best home is waiting for the touch of my 'paint roller'!
Salude!
Tinker belle

Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Bizarre indeed! Hope wherever you land you find the deeper appreciation of it enough to preserve it before the gentrification marches in LOL. I'm hoping the earthiness of WV sensibilities will continue doing it's magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia