Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread over on the Knoxville thread..and it really took off and became successful. It's inspired me to find out more about the entire Appalachian region and the music tradition.

It seemed at one time, another generation...people knew their musical instruments and were avid, amazing musicians...giving us a rich musical tradition.

Is some of that still alive in WV? Sounds like Knoxville is Americana, Kentucky is bluegrass. How about WV? Is music still something strongly in the culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I posted a thread over on the Knoxville thread..and it really took off and became successful. It's inspired me to find out more about the entire Appalachian region and the music tradition.

It seemed at one time, another generation...people knew their musical instruments and were avid, amazing musicians...giving us a rich musical tradition.

Is some of that still alive in WV? Sounds like Knoxville is Americana, Kentucky is bluegrass. How about WV? Is music still something strongly in the culture?
American culture is blessed with an amazing variety (in depth, breadth, and quality) of musical traditions. I can assure you that traditional Appalachian music is alive and well throughout the mountains, and especially in West Virginia. But, the music "industry" is largely centered in Nashville... not in Knoxville.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM

566 posts, read 1,578,740 times
Thumbs up Great Question!

People had to create their own entertainment before tv was invented. All of my elders could/can play multiple instruments. The guitar, mandolin, fiddle, and harmonica, are never dusty. Mom sits in with the piano and organ, and my Uncle is thrilled with his modern keyboard.

Bluegrass is alive, but not embraced much by the younger set. I know whole families that are all talented bluegrass pickers, sometimes they even let me bring my old dobro and join in. It's not often I'm asked to bring my trumpet. In season, it's not hard to find outdoor bluegrass festivals to fill your weekends.

My youngest plays guitar and trombone, his son is learning the trumpet this year, my nephew is on the saxophone.

There's a radio station that I can only pick up from the farm, it's all traditional bluegrass and the music fits where I am. We have family gatherings at the farmhouse and haven't felt the need to reconnect the tv and telephone there for some reason. There's a large barn in that neighborhood, built specifically for Friday night 'sings', the attitude is y'all come, and bring everyone. If you don't come, they might just come and drag you. If you say you have work to do, they may help get it done so you can join in. Strangers are welcomed.
__________________________________________________ ______________
My apologies for getting carried away below. I'll remove the Youtube links if they are creating problems with this post.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Goose Creek Symphony was a favorite in the 70s, they're not your average bluegrass band, however. After all, they do have a set of drums and electricity most of the time, with a piano, organ, saxophone, and horn. Fun lyrics with a bit of a message and great pickin', their songs include a mix of traditional bluegrass, country, and country rock. Last I heard, the band still makes appearances in West Virginia.

[] Goose Creek Symphony [] The Same Thing Again Goose Creek Symphony website

The Corn Won't Grow, So Rock n Roll - original recording ..cover pic on the Charlie Gearheart Highway in Kentucky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BlKN...eature=related

The Corn Won't Grow, So Rock n Roll- live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqNIswbjCNE

Welcome to Goose Creek - live (not bad at all for a consumer level camcorder)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AClW-...eature=related

Words of Earnest - live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo0nA...eature=related

Right Track - live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_clU...eature=related

Guitars Pickin', Fiddles Playin' - live ..Orange Blossom Special mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm784ybR8Ls

Charlie's Tune - live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LfEm...eature=related

I'll Fly Away
Lala Song Player - I'll Fly Away by Goose Creek Symphony
__________________________________________________ ____________

140 results for Goose Creek Symphony original/live recordings:
Lala - Where music plays

Uncle Pen, In My Father's Likeness, Broken Goose Creek Down, Whupin' It, The Gospel, You Get a Line, Miana and Me, Rush on Love, Cindy, The Light of Love, Hot Dog Daddy, Back Here, I Won't Go Through That Again, Higher on the Mountain (incorrect title and the correct one escapes me), Finale for a Symphony (this is 'Higher on the Mountain'), Goin' Home, These Hills..Ode to Flea Bob, Still Dumb, Fitful Sleep, Oso Special, Sally Goodin, Don't Classify Me, Saturday Night at the Grange, The World We're Livin' in Today, Mercedes Benz, :
I'll admit to getting a little choked up during These Hills - Ode to Flea Bob.

Had to sign up to get more than three songs, I thought it was worthwhile, and it's free to boot. Thanks for making me search, I may have found my favorite website!

Edit: Correction... I played nearly every song on my first visit to the Lala website . When I returned, it would only give me 30 second samples with an offer to buy MP3s.

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 01-18-2010 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: editing

Old 01-18-2010, 04:51 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,948 times
I saw Goose Creek at Piedmont Park in Atlanta in the early 70's. I have that album.

Come to our Vandalia Gathering. I don't consider WV music bluegrass, but there are a lot of young pickers and fiddlers there. As well as old ones. Augusta Heritage is great too.
Vandalia Gathering

Augusta Heritage Center in Elkins, West Virginia, is a non-profit organization which teaches workshops, presents, nurtures, and documents traditional arts in Music, Dance, Craft, and Folklore.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM

80 posts, read 257,580 times
If you live near Weston you can listen to bluegrass on WHAW AM 980 they have some fine stuff especially the show that airs 10-11am on Mondays. WOTR in Lost Creek 96.3 FM also has a lot of great bluegrass on the radio as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
I don't consider WV music bluegrass, but there are a lot of young pickers and fiddlers there.
Dwight Diller simply calls it "Mountain Music." You can hear some clips at his website. CDs for a lot of "Old Time" music are available from Morningstar Folk Arts in Hillsboro.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Dwight Diller simply calls it "Mountain Music." You can hear some clips at his website. CDs for a lot of "Old Time" music are available from Morningstar Folk Arts in Hillsboro.
I agree with Dwight. Have you been to the store in Hillsboro?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:26 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Yes, when we go to Watoga, we almost always stop in there.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Wheeling West Virginia radio used to be a favorite for country music broadcasting....I used to listen to it in Cincinnati...when I was growing up.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
There is both a traditional mountain and a bluegrass following in West Virginia and sometimes they overlap. And, while the music isn't that popular (yet) with many young people it is starting to catch on some, especially in the Morgantown area. By the way... the Mountain Stage scheduled for March
21st. at the WVU Creative Arts Center in Morgantown will have the Grascals and Patty Loveless among others.

Mountain Stage Live Schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia