U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2010, 06:06 AM
 
90 posts, read 258,197 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

Personally..i love the state!I travel all 48 and ive found nowhere that compares.ive been so impressed that im leaving this hell-hole known as savannah GA and relocating there...counting the days till i call beautiful WV home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 AM
 
5,721 posts, read 4,836,803 times
Reputation: 4339
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod crowley View Post
Personally..i love the state!I travel all 48 and ive found nowhere that compares.ive been so impressed that im leaving this hell-hole known as savannah GA and relocating there...counting the days till i call beautiful WV home.
Well I don't know how old you are but just remember GA has a lot more jobs and a good economy compared to WV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 07:11 PM
 
90 posts, read 258,197 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Well I don't know how old you are but just remember GA has a lot more jobs and a good economy compared to WV.
Im a commercial trucker and my company is based outta ohio so employment isnt a prob..in fact ill be closer to my work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,690 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Meh I like WV but when it comes to jobs, I will always be skeptical. When your largest employer is Wal-Mart there's something wrong. The state is not known for being good to do business in and our state is mostly known as a blue collar state. Which is not good because a lot of the blue collar jobs have went to the right to work states. About all we have left is mining.
Wal-Mart is the largest non-government employer in the world so it's not just in WV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 AM
 
6,347 posts, read 8,645,610 times
Reputation: 1783
What I hate the most is the state government and the intense hatred southern WV has for Northern WV and the EP, going as far as hurting the whole state including themselves to spite the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,690 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod crowley View Post
Well said.agreed.
Yes, I do agree the WV powers that be have hurt the economy here. However, it's only been a yellow-dog Democrat state since the early 20th century. There are 6 cultural regions in WV, but for simplicity's sake I divide it into 3: North, South, and East.

The East side is more like 'ole Virginia country side in many ways: hand-made or grown products, farms with the backdrop of mountains. In fact, they were against seceding from Virginia. Plus, it has many Federal facilities that nobody knows about just like Virginia. Tons of people coming from VA/MY East Coast areas to ski and even build vacation homes. This scenery and self-sufficiency of the people make it my favorite part. People here tend to be larger built (not fat) - It's not uncommon for women to be 5'9".

The North side identifies with Pittsburgh. Look on a map and you'll see why. The North's culture is steeped in manufacturing, Oil, Gas, and steel. In the late 19th century, the economy there was booming and was considered a very "progressive" area. However, the Northerners tended to look down on the rest of the state, and the rest of the state didn't identify with the North so in the early 20th century they lost all political power. The Capitol was moved from the pro-business, Republican North (Wheeling) to the pro-working class, Democratic South (Charleston). Then when the Pittsburgh manufacturing machine collapsed, it brought down the Northern part of WV as well. There's more educated people than in other parts of WV, but fewer job opportunities so they move to Pittsburgh or Columbus. This explains why Northerners can be more rude/arrogant. But the recent resurgence of the Gas Industry with the Marcellus shale boom has brought some vitality back to the area.

The Southern part is the classic yellow-dog democratic culture that serves as the model for WV stereotyping. Not everyone in the southern part fits the stereotype, but you'll find more uneducated, fat, toothless, spitting, pro-union coal miner types here. The predominate political power in WV is more Southern than anything else. I blame the general mentality of the Southern culture for holding WV back - They can be defensive about doing things their way. The southerners tend to have that southern charm and are easier to work with. They also have the aggressiveness to hold onto the power. They have a lot of good 'ole boys clubs whose political influence can't be easily broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM
 
6,347 posts, read 8,645,610 times
Reputation: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford30 View Post
Yes, I do agree the WV powers that be have hurt the economy here. However, it's only been a yellow-dog Democrat state since the early 20th century. There are 6 cultural regions in WV, but for simplicity's sake I divide it into 3: North, South, and East.

The East side is more like 'ole Virginia country side in many ways: hand-made or grown products, farms with the backdrop of mountains. In fact, they were against seceding from Virginia. Plus, it has many Federal facilities that nobody knows about just like Virginia. Tons of people coming from VA/MY East Coast areas to ski and even build vacation homes. This scenery and self-sufficiency of the people make it my favorite part. People here tend to be larger built (not fat) - It's not uncommon for women to be 5'9".

The North side identifies with Pittsburgh. Look on a map and you'll see why. The North's culture is steeped in manufacturing, Oil, Gas, and steel. In the late 19th century, the economy there was booming and was considered a very "progressive" area. However, the Northerners tended to look down on the rest of the state, and the rest of the state didn't identify with the North so in the early 20th century they lost all political power. The Capitol was moved from the pro-business, Republican North (Wheeling) to the pro-working class, Democratic South (Charleston). Then when the Pittsburgh manufacturing machine collapsed, it brought down the Northern part of WV as well. There's more educated people than in other parts of WV, but fewer job opportunities so they move to Pittsburgh or Columbus. This explains why Northerners can be more rude/arrogant. But the recent resurgence of the Gas Industry with the Marcellus shale boom has brought some vitality back to the area.

The Southern part is the classic yellow-dog democratic culture that serves as the model for WV stereotyping. Not everyone in the southern part fits the stereotype, but you'll find more uneducated, fat, toothless, spitting, pro-union coal miner types here. The predominate political power in WV is more Southern than anything else. I blame the general mentality of the Southern culture for holding WV back - They can be defensive about doing things their way. The southerners tend to have that southern charm and are easier to work with. They also have the aggressiveness to hold onto the power. They have a lot of good 'ole boys clubs whose political influence can't be easily broken.
Much of what you said is true, except you were wrong about the north. Morgantown has the best economy in the state and jobs are in abundance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top