Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:25 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,269,680 times

Advertisements

Stole this tag from another state, but know it will be a great one.

What do I like most about Wv???

It's people, for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 AM

19,377 posts, read 22,320,778 times
I pretty much summed up my thoughts here

//www.city-data.com/forum/9443952-post46.html

Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,401,223 times
i love the pace of life in wv...coming from texas, i don't see all the "keeping up with the jones'" mentality in wv...

i love the mountains, i love going to the free outdoor shooting range in kanawha state forest!

i love all the different seasons!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM

180 posts, read 350,376 times
I love the Mountains and Rivers.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,428 times
This is my first post here...though I've been reading the WV forums for awhile. I'm relatively new to WV...I've lived here in Mount Storm for a little over 7 years, grew up in SW PA. We moved here because of my husband's job...and I thought I'd hate it. But the more time passes, the more I like it here.

What I like about WV:

The people...I've met many friendly WV'ians, and have the best neighbors in the world.

The appreciation for handmade items....I make handcrafted jewelry, I didn't actually start doing that till living in WV....but have received loads of encouragement through living here. WV has a lot of "WV Artisan" types of shops & festivals, and it seems to me that WV as a whole supports that kind of thing.

The scenery.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,579,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Stole this tag from another state, but know it will be a great one.

What do I like most about Wv???

It's people, for sure!
The most:
Too many to list. The people seem to have their priorities in the right place and are courteous to one another for the most part. The culture...the history. The fact that my family and friends for the most part are from or live there.

The least:
The selection of restaurants is pitiful. Its either a chain or a country kitchen for the most part, neither of which are worth the money.

The availability of most ingredients at grocery stores is very limited. I don't expect to find kafir lime leaves or durian, but its a bad sign when its tough to find a shallot in the largest city in the state.

We can be a bit backward at times when it concerns subjects that we have little knowledge about.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM

566 posts, read 1,573,180 times
What I love:

The countryside, hills, mountains, rivers, streams, fields, and every rock formation I come across. The history, my family, their history, and every story that every old-timer has ever related to me. I could write a book, but I think this expresses the gist of my answer.

What I dislike:

The lack of available jobs and lack of a living wage in existing jobs. The stale old stereotyping of the state and it's people.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 PM

5,988 posts, read 8,970,216 times
The best thing about WV is that it is a paradice that only the locals know about

The worst thing about WV is that no one outside WV knows anything about us

Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM

312 posts, read 1,055,950 times
Once in a while I will have a California flashback, when I encounter some traffic, or road rage, or a long line or a store clerk with a blood-chilling stare..but mostly, people are a bit nicer and more approachable.
Country and modern living are meshed together sometimes. you can order biscuits and gravy at a drive up window. Hillbillies with ancient pick-up trucks are driving and texting .... Interesting. There's no place I'd rather be, than dubya vee.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,862,291 times
Here is what I posted previously and I still believe it!

The worst part of living in WV in being constantly on the defense of how truly great our state and our lives are in Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia.

We are our own worst enemies in constantly bickering and casting negatives about our state and its people.

I have worked in WV public schools (31.5 yrs.) and have been to many national meetings and since taking early retirement; have had the opportunity to work in WV, MI, OK, DC, TN, OH, SD, GA, NY, PA, CT, MD and even HI schools. I would never trade places with any of them as I have seen that we in WV have as good as any in the nation.

Time to STAND UP for WV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia