U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,219 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Elkins, WV or nearby area within the next year, from Winston Salem NC. Wife and I have visited a few times just to look around. I have been to WV for the Gaulley, and Snow Shoe numerous times and have fallen in love with the state. Actually started looking around Elkins area per threads on this site, and have liked everything we have seen thus far. The last time we visited Elkins (about 3wk ago), it was more beautiful than in the past due to the heavy, shiney snow everywhere. Wife and I are in healthcare...shouldn't have problems securing employment...but if we do are there any hospitals within a decent commute from Elkins...other than Davis/Elkins? Have a 4yodaughter and 2yoson...any info on schools? More questions to come soon I am sure.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 AM

37 posts, read 93,608 times
I sell Real Estate in Buckhannon and surrounding areas. I watch Job postings on Indeed.com and see many in the healthcare Industry. More around Clarksburg.There is a VA Hospital there and United Hospital Center is building a brand new hospital. We ahve ST. Joseph's here.Of course Ruby in Morgantown has cutting edge healthcare, research etc. MAny people get life flighted there...
This whole region has great natural beauty.Good Luck!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 PM

79,571 posts, read 35,823,981 times
Elkins is a super place. I do not live there but I get there as often as possible. I don't know a thing about the schools but I've never heard a negative.

With the 4 lane, Buckhannon isn't much of a drive now if you had to go there for employment.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,452,045 times
Davis Memorial is a bigger hospital and system than St. Joe and is actually a member of Davis Healthcare which also operates a smaller hospital in Philippi as well as many other offices in Randolph and surrounding counties. There are also a lot of physician offices in Elkins and near the hospital... My mom works for Elkins Express Care actually. I've also had several friends of mine get jobs before they even graduated. Shouldn't be an issue at all finding a job in that industry.

Jobs | Davis Health System

I would stay within the Elkins district for schools. Elkins offers more upper level classes and dual credit classes than say Tygarts Valley High School or Harman High School. Multiple languages are available at EHS whereas only Spanish is available at the smaller schools, there are also more clubs, and sports available. For elementary though I'd recommend Midland Elementary, when I was little that was the best school in the county.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,219 times
Thanks for your responses. We have 2 houses here we must sell before we can make the move. All of your input is appreciated as we want to be at least somewhat knowledgeable about where we are moving.
I am really excited, West Virginia has appealed to me since my first visit, many years ago. My wife was a bit reluctant at first, but I brought to her attention that everyone we knew from WV, hoped to wind up there again. With each trip to your beautiful state she feels it more and more. I believe she is looking forward to moving there as much as I am, now.
Hope everyone has a great day.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:01 PM

374 posts, read 1,018,775 times
Hey Greentruck, my husband and I moved to Elkins last summer. I work at Davis Memorial- PM me if you have any specific questions about the hospital. We are still learning about the area and will be for awhile, but I will try to help if I can!

Old 05-29-2010, 07:42 PM

12 posts, read 26,054 times
I want to move to the Elkins area next summer...I have gained a lot of information on this forum about the area but wondered how are the people there...Here in NC everyone is friendly and wave when you pass by..can I expect the same from the people there???

Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 PM

79,571 posts, read 35,823,981 times
Elkins is very diverse in that regard IMO. You have people who want left alone. College kids, those who wil act like they've known you forever and in the spring, summer, fall a good number of people coming and going.

You shouldn't have any problems fitting in.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:07 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,452,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaquaa View Post
I want to move to the Elkins area next summer...I have gained a lot of information on this forum about the area but wondered how are the people there...Here in NC everyone is friendly and wave when you pass by..can I expect the same from the people there???
I'm from Elkins and I'm the friendliest person on this forum!

ha ha ok...well, not so much.

But you should be fine in Elkins. There are plenty of opportunities to become involved in the community and make friends, or keep to yourself if you wish. Just don't move by the river and complain about the ducks.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,575,527 times
Waving at anything that moves is "in" in West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia