Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Isn't it only about 20 minutes from Wierton to the Pittsburgh International Airport?
Yes when PA built the new shortcut toll road (576) to the airport it made the trip from Weirton to the airport insanely fast. You can get to the airport faster from Weirton/Steubenville than you can from within a lot of areas in Pittsburgh itself. It's a perk to living in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:08 PM

120 posts, read 401,707 times
As I stated, I only lived there for a little over a year. Nonetheless, I felt that it was an "average" city in WV. From what I understand, the area used to be quite heavily populated and thriving, but has slowly deteriorated over time (decline in the steel industry). You will definitely find very affordable housing; however you will be limited in terms of recreational / social activities. The weather can be a little harsh because of its northern climate. As was said before, the job growth is very poor, but that hasn't drastically effected the crime rate. The commute isn't too bad. In short, I'd recommend the area because of relatively inexpensive housing, but there is a trade off.

Are you prepared for the daily drive? Your social activities will be greatly limited. Would you be happier paying more for housing in closer proximity to the city, thereby eliminating the commute and having more outlets?

Good luck...

Old 02-01-2010, 02:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
[Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Isn't it only about 20 minutes from Wierton to the Pittsburgh International Airport?]

Something like that. But the airport is 15-20 miles west of downtown, and traffic always backs up (during rush hour) going into the tunnels. Weirton to the airport area, or Robinson Twp even, wouldn't be bad, but I wouldn't want to have to drive all the way to downtown (or any points east, such as Oakland or Monroeville) from WV on a daily basis.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Well true if you're trying to get to the eastern or northern parts of Pittsburgh from Weirton it can be a pain other than that though it's pretty easy. Like I said though if you're heading into the airport from Weirton you do not get mixed up in the downtown traffic because you take the new shortcut toll road 576. The whole Ohio Valley is dead as far as jobs go it's not just Weirton they don't call it the rust-belt for nothin'.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Pittsburgh has tons of cheap housing already...this is probably the first time I've ever heard anyone decide to get way out of Pittsburgh for cheap housing.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:18 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Pittsburgh has tons of cheap housing already...this is probably the first time I've ever heard anyone decide to get way out of Pittsburgh for cheap housing.
Agreed. I've never heard anyone else say Pittsburgh was an expensive place to live. It's insanely cheap for a larger city. I recall from my days at WVU that there were more than a few people that commuted from Morgantown to Pittsburgh and likely even more commute from the Northern Panhandle (no local jobs) to the Burgh.

If you didn't mind driving 70 or so miles the commute wouldn't be too much of a hassle...especially if you aren't working right downtown. Don't worry about the traffic too much in Pittsburgh...people haven't seen real traffic if they think the tunnels into town are bad.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 PM

323 posts, read 834,868 times
The daily drive wouldn't bother me. I lived in a city where it took me at least 40 min to drive 8 miles to work. If I can survive that madness, I can handle anything.

Most of the people I know have moved or want to move while still being able to work in Pittsburgh. I am looking around now and getting more info on different areas.

West Virginia and Ohio both seem to have far lower cost of living expenses compared to PA. Both WV and Ohio have cheaper housing within better neighborhoods compared to Pittsburgh.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Don't forget to figure taxes into your cost comparison.
  • The PA State Income Tax is a flat 3.2% (approx); WV is graduated, from 3.5% to 6.5%. Most local governments in PA also have a 1% wage tax; I don't know if WV has that or not.
  • PA has no sales tax on either clothes or food.
  • PA has no personal property tax. In WV, you have to pay the tax in order to renew your vehicle registration.
  • Gasoline seems to be about 10 c/gal higher in WV than PA.

I must be getting old... my 22 mile, 25 minute commute is about as long as I want to consider.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Meh I've seen what the nicer pads around the Southside go for, it's still way more than what you'll pay for the same place on a nice street in Wheeling.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:34 PM

50 posts, read 201,925 times
Wheeling is an hour from Pittsburgh going slightly over the speed limit with no traffic. How about Washington, PA? That is only 1/2 hour from Pittsburgh and it should be less to live in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh, by the way is fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia