U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 PM

6 posts, read 20,922 times

Advertisements

Hey Kiki,

That is not a bad student:teacher ratio. And I'm happy to hear they have full time aides! That's wonderful!!

Hard water, huh? I have sensitive skin, so what do you do if you can't shower in hard water??

No Target? Wow. I bet there's a Walmart though. But I agree, Target is great for when Walmart doesn't have the item you need or you want a better quality item than what Walmart has to offer. Guess I will have a to do a lot of online ordering for some stuff!

How is the mall? How close is it? What stores do they have? I'm a plus size girl and I like JC Penneys. I can order online from my fave plus size store that I like here in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 20,922 times
Hi eaduke,

Good to know that the humidity level isn't as bad as I'm think I'm making it out to be in my mind.

And you said that you know a welder out of 787? How far does he have to go for work?
One of the reps from the 787 union told me that there is a lot of work within 100 mile radius.
Would you ask the gentleman you know from the 787 if that is true or not?
I would really appreciate that kind of inside information!!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:31 PM

938 posts, read 2,637,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki_thinking View Post
Jefferson would not be a school I would choose for my child. I base this on GreatSchool.net's rating of 2 out of a possible 10, on the WesTest scores available on the WV State Board of Education website (JE is much lower than other local elementaries) and on the word of mouth from realtors, other parents, substitute and student teachers in the county. All of them told me that I'd be happier putting my daughter somewhere else.
That's where I went to school. It's the school for the poorest kids in town. I was there for the "consolidation" years. One year, I was at Park Elementary, with nice, small classrooms...the next, I'm at this monstrosity of an elementary school that was so big, they didn't even call it a school. It's Jefferson Elementary Center. Threw the kids under one giant roof with double the class size. I'd love to see them try to merge the Vienna schools into one. The physicians' up in Greenmont would have a heart attack at the thought that their kids would be consorting with the proletariat.

Anyway, with Jefferson, it's not that the teachers there aren't skilled educators, its that they are given kids from rough families. I felt bad for them when they were scolded by the superintendent for being "below par"...because they were very effective at teaching. Kids with less family support do worse on tests. It is what it is.

I remember I won 1st place at an event at Math Field Day waaaaay back in the day. When he announced my school, he looked at the organizers like it must have been a mistake. "WVUPharm, representing...Jefferson Center!?!?" I'll never forget that. Very telling in many ways.

Anyway, you'll probably find the humidity to be unbearable if you use California as a barometer. (heh, barometer...)

The hospitals are ok. Nothing groundbreaking, but sufficient for 99.9% of the motley assortment of things that will go wrong with a person. Now that they finally took Dr. Shiffler's license away, there aren't any total quacks in the area.

A great place to raise a kid, to be honest. But when they leave for college, they are probably never coming back...

Last edited by WVUPharm2007; 02-27-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 02-27-2010, 12:19 AM

566 posts, read 1,431,619 times
We've had some dry summers lately, but go back to 1994-95, and we had heat indexes at 112 degrees. I have the kidney stones to prove it. My a/c runs from June-October. Last July 4th, we were wearing sweatshirts for the fireworks, it was unusually cool most of the summer '09.

The mall is hanging on for dear life, last time I checked. It still has Sears on one end, JC Penney on the other, Elder Beerman in the middle, and a mix in between. There's a Kohl's near the South Parkersburg Walmart, and some really strange clothes at Coldwater Creek (we thought so anyway).

Quote:
there aren't any total quacks in the area.
I wouldn't bet a red cent on that, I can point out a few. Some of the ones they import for brief stays aren't much good either (the tall balding red-headed one is dangerous). At least one of the hospitals started using 'rent-a-doctors' from out of town, so they can cover their butts (hey he doesn't work for us). If you break a bone or are bleeding, they can usually figure it out.

Moving on, Google C8 and decide for yourself. Parkersburg is claimed to have "a nearly undetectable level", whatever that means. Other communities in the area on both sides of the Ohio river weren't so lucky.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:25 AM

890 posts, read 1,326,660 times
Let nobody tell you that the Parkersburg area is not humid. We can have very humidity in July and August. I have lived in this area since 1970 and last summer was real rareity in not having much humidity.

Two hospitals that will meet your basic needs and I know of one person who uses an insulin pump without any problems receiving the care she needs.

For schools, you will be very happy at any location compared to what you experience in CA.

For less humidity, you might want to consider Wirt County (Elizabeth) or Ritchie County (Ellenboro, Harrisville, Pennsboro) as well as anything in the more rural areas of the Parkersburg area.

Good luck and I would predict you will be happy in our area if your hubby can find steady employment.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM

80 posts, read 227,269 times
Parkersburg may have some hot and humid days but it's nothing like over in Central Virginia around Richmond.
The welder I know in that union works mostly in Dunbar near Charleston.So I'd say within 100 miles is probably correct since over the years I've known him his work was pretty much outside of Parkersburg.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:35 PM

26 posts, read 67,506 times
oops, just now saw all the rest of the posts -

here's a link to the local mall, it should help you figure out the shopping.
Welcome to Grand Central Mall
actually, since moving here we've been to columbus, OH a few times too - it's an easy 2 hour drive - last weekend we went to easton mall -
Welcome to Easton Town Center in Columbus, Ohio
it has all the upscale stuff i like to look at and not buy

there's a Crafts2000 here - sort of like a Hobby Lobby or a Michaels Craft store but like 5X larger.
we have most of the major big box stores lowes, home depot, walmart, kmart and most major chains - old navy, panera bread, borders books -- that's why i'm so miffed that we lack a Target

there are several good restaurants here - indian, lebanese, a cuban place, a yummy italian restaurant that is owned by a mexican family, a gourmet-ish pizza place, the blennerhasset hotel. I can't find chinese food i'm happy with - we actually drive to athens OH to eat chinese and go ice skating since the nearest ice rink is there and there is a good international food store there.

and of course, lots of natural areas - a big park in downtown pkb where there seems to be a lot of stuff going on - plus a little wildlife reserve near town - plus several national parks fairly nearby -

as for the hard water, i find that laundry doesn't come clean, my daughter's hair is lanky and flat, and my skin is generally irritated, and i drink far less water than when i could just get myself a glass of water from the tap. no water softener in our rental. we buy water at the grocery store for drinking and cooking. it might not bother others much, but it bothers me terribly. i sometimes take clothes to the laundromat because they have water softeners. when we buy a house here, the very first think i'm doing is buying a water softener. the FIRST thing! i thought about getting a gym membership so i could wash my hair there -

i'm very happy with the our elementary school here.
in addition to the teacher and aide: student ratio - they REALLY are happy to have parental involvement. i'm a sahm right now, so i have time to volunteer an hour or so 3 or 4 days a week and i OFTEN see one or two other parents in the classroom that day. we all have regular activities we do with the kids - i'm a reading tutor.

i agree with WVUpharm, that generally the kids in jefferson elementary start out a little behind the ball educationally .. resulting in lower test scores .. i didn't mean to cast aspersions on the teachers and staff at jefferson.

parkersburg high school looks more like a college campus than a high school i think -
they are very sports focused. just now i read this website which states that they are the biggest hs in wv Parkersburg High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

even though i was born in wv, i don't have much of a regional accent. when we lived in more southern part of the state, i was disturbed when my daughter would come home from pre-k saying somethink like "mama, i need a paynk cray-yown" (pink crayon) but i don't think people here have much accent at all.

things i'm not crazy about:
bad lane planning on grand central avenue (i see fender-benders there several times daily)
living so close to a great big river (the ohio) and but having the river be creepy dirty
i've always felt it was my birthright, if i'm going to live in a rural area, to have good air and water -
but in addition to the hard water (not polluted, just hard) i wonder about the air pollution here -
no macys
i don't think downtown parkersburg is a particularly attractive city.

but for the most part i really like it here -
hth

Old 03-24-2010, 06:43 AM

938 posts, read 2,637,484 times
Quote:
a yummy italian restaurant that is owned by a mexican family
Rubi's is awesome. I used to get some Calamari for lunch at least once a week...and top it off with strawberries and cream...best little cafe in town...

Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM

566 posts, read 1,431,619 times
Quote:
I can't find chinese food i'm happy with - we actually drive to athens OH to eat chinese ....
We've settled on Dragon House in Belpre, Oh. (just across the river) for take-out. It's the best we've found locally. They have a dining area, but it's rather.. spartan.

PHS is the oldest high school in the state.

My clothes come clean, must be the detergent, but the deposits from the water are heavy enough to stop small leaks.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 PM

26 posts, read 67,506 times
@2rivers
ooooo! thank you for the recommendation, we'll try it!
we like the giovanni's pizza in belpre too.

so far we've tried:
mangos: (it was good but has limited hours and smallish portions - cuban/latin american food)
chams: (lebanese with bellydancing on friday nights)
paradise grill: (the only restaurant i've been in that had a mounted cape buffalo on the wall as well of lots of other game trophies)
luiluis (why oh why did they stop doing thai peanut wings)
rubi's (our favorite, double YUM!)
the NET brewpub (rootbeer good, food standard)
pizza place
japanese fusion (i lived in japan for 3 years, so for me, it doesn't taste bad -but strange - maybe because it's "fusion" cuisine. but stuff there tastes a little weird.) but it was awfully pricey I thought.
the mexican place next to value city - again, they are really good!
also had good italian at spagnas - neat walking across the bridge to get to it -

wow, this makes me realize i need to stop eating out so much!!! i didn't really realize how much until i started to make this list - yikes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia