U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM

566 posts, read 1,432,749 times

Advertisements

You're welcome kiki, hope you like it. They're in the plaza across from Hardee's on Washington Blvd. We call ahead and it's ready when we get there. The dinner's feed two of us, twice, they give you generous portions. We usually get the same thing every time though. Gen. Tso's chicken or Moo Goo Gai Pan, cheese won-ton, and every dinner come with eggroll . There's some noodle dish the others have tried and liked too. Mrs. R has to order, I don't translate the accent very well and I keep losing my menu. Oh, grab a menu to take home if they don't give you one. (number 1, number 2, etc. )

The Mexican place beside Value City is Tampico, excellent food I agree, I went there once a week for a while after I first tried the place. I liked it a lot better than Don Emilo's, and I thought they were ok.

Kokomo's is on our list to try, heard they serve good food, it's right on the river across from the Yacht Club. Also want to try the Wild Horse Cafe in Pomeroy, Oh.

Been to River City Tavern and Grille? We sure have plenty of restaurants!

My son loves Fusion, he was in there all the time for a while. Then he started making his own at home.

We have cut way back in the past year or so, but my cholesterol is slipping now, so I may treat us this weekend.

For fast food and car shows, we got a Sonic a year or two back. I've yet to try it.

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 03-24-2010 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Editing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:34 PM

938 posts, read 2,639,278 times
El Ranchero used to be the best Mexican in town. I haven't eaten a meal in Parkersburg in years though.

I'm definitely craving some Rubi's though...and Pizza place...

Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 PM

At some point El Ranchero had a problem with green cards, then a fire, but I think it's been rebuilt.

Tampico has Latino cooks too.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 AM

26 posts, read 67,549 times
would anyone like to chime in with a list of good building materials stores in pkb? we have a home project coming up and in the past i have tried to avoid buying from big box stores if i can - stone suppliers, framing and finishing lumber/millwork, lighting and plumbing fixtures - good local places here? any thoughts would be appreciated

Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 AM

We have the usual, Lowe's, Home Depot, 84 Lumber. Then there's locally owned Badger Lumber, although, they too will be supplying commercially produced lumber. If there's a special need in lumber, I believe Carsey sawmill is still in operation, located on Old St. Mary's Pike near Rt.31, if I recall, he's in the phone book. You might also check Haessly Lumber, Rt. 7 north, Reno, Ohio, outside Marietta.

There are stone and brick/block suppliers, one on Blizzard Dr. State Electric on old Camden Ave. is a good place for all electrical supplies and a full spectrum of lighting, etc., as well as a Westinghouse Electric Supply store at Boaz, north of Vienna on Rt. 14. HAJOCA on Rayon Dr. is one name that comes to mind for plumbing, there are others but the names have changed, so I'm not recalling them at the moment. The heating/plumbing supply located on Blizzard Dr. is one of those.

On Neale St. there's a small shop that recycles from demolished homes, and there's the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store on 7th St.

I'm forgetting some, will post back if there's anything worthwhile to add, and get the names/locations.

Edit: Park's Hardware on 7th St. is a great hardware store.

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 04-06-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Editing

Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM

@TR thank you! that will be helpful for many days in the days to come!! i really appreciate it!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 PM

894 posts, read 1,329,792 times
For lumber/framing I would go to 84 Lumber in Mineral Wells. For lighting I would go to State Electric off Camden Ave in front of Erickson Sports Complex. For plumbing I would go to Crescent-Sprague in Marietta (take Exit off 77 and turn right on the street toward Kroger and go until you see it on the left. If you need a plumbing contactor, I recommend Pioneer Pipe in Marietta.

The Habitat Re-store can be awesome if you hit it right. I saw a $2000 double French Door from Pella that was only $900 because Pella had donated a floor sample.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 AM

@bbj
thank you so much for all of those!

ReStore is one of those things that can be a total waste of time, or a total miracle, depending .. fun

Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 PM

29 posts, read 44,359 times
Hello! The south side is the best area for people with small children. In particular the areas that are towards Lubeck.

Are you renting or purchasing a home? I have found a few that are very cheap. There is one towards lubeck that is on sale for 40 some thousand. its a 3br house as well. The jobs situation is not very bright here, however the cost of living is low and if you streamline your expenses it works out ok if you have two incomes at minimum wage. I live nicely on approx 650/mo paying 320/mo in rent on a two story house. You can find more on the bulltetin board then you can online. This area seems to be stuck in the old days before internet so you cannot find much rentals online here.

The best thing is to get here, get a bulletin board, plug in the routes into the GPS and go hunting for a week. I did this when I went to other areas and you can to evaulate the are more throughly. Staying a week allows you to get a better feel, Also stay in a midrage hotel for a more neutral feeling of the area. Most of the midrage hotels are in those neutral areas that are not too fancy and not too low scale.

What is your time frame for moving??

Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 PM

In the news today.. Wood county is the second most polluted county in WV. The Parkersburg/Marietta metro area is in the top 25 most polluted in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia