Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:32 AM

13 posts, read 25,184 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my family to West Virginia, we've been there a few times and we like the atmosphere. The people are very nice and the cities/counties don't seem too far away from each other.

Here in Philly driving from one place to another is hectic, 309 is always under construction, it took four days for a plow to come anywhere near our street after the blizzard, and my brother and I are having a hard time finding jobs since we graduated. I applied to 30 jobs last year, I refuse to believe that my resume was just that terrible.

Are they're jobs in WV are people hiring?

My mother is a nurse, an LPN, who wants to get her RN degree once we move. My dad is a real estate agent, I have a degree in Communications and my brother has a diploma in Baking and Pastry.

For me I'll take anything in my field as long as it's not a dead end job. I'm 24 right now, so I know I'm new. If I had my way I'd choose Public Relations, but as I said, after a year of job searching with a degree I'll take what I can. My second question is which city is the best place to live? We like Charleston, but if we can't get a place in Charleston then where's the next best place?

I looked at the other posts on here earlier tonight and a lot of people seem to point towards Huntington, is that a better shot for us?

How big are the houses, at the moment we live in a row home with three bedrooms and a basement, we don't want to move into anything smaller.

We're looking to rent, we're packing now and plan to leave by the end of spring. I've tried doing searches online, but I'm having a tough time finding pictures (places for rent) and then I found the site which is even better than pictures (personal opinions from people who live there).

Lastly, in a question that's pretty random, what's it like in WV for filming? Less companies are coming to film in Philly because the taxes are high. M. Night is one of the few who always comes back. I just wanted to know if anything at all (doesn't have to be a movie) gets filmed there?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Liza24; 02-19-2010 at 02:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Although I can't provide you information regarding West Virginia, I would suggest you find employment BEFORE you move.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 AM

13 posts, read 25,184 times
thanks

Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
I agree with trying to line jobs up before you move, but I would definately look at the Huntington area. Huntington is the second largest city in the state and offers plenty to do including the largest shopping mall in the state. Being home to Marshall University, there's also plenty of collegiate offerings as well, both for entertainment and education. There are 2 large teaching hospitals in Huntington along with a VA hospital, the state Mental Health Hospital, and smaller facilities/nursing homes as well. Marshall and 2-3 other organizations would provide opportunities for your mom to further her education locally. Real Estate has been fairly steady here so your dad would likely be fine as well. For communications, I'm not sure what your focus area is but the 2 largest stations in the state are based in Huntington and the Huntington-Charleston market is the 2nd largest east of the Mississippi. There are also several radio stations based here as well. There would likely be several opportunities for your brother but if he has a lot of energy, he might consider opening a bakery downtown. We have a bakery close to downtown but the focus is almost solely pastries and cakes. A nice bakery would do well downtown.

For housing here, you would likely be able to find just about whatever your needs require. They have larger and smaller houses here and the prices overall are very low. Huntington actually has one of the lowest costs of living in the nation. Lots of older home with a lot of character in town, many having been recently updated.

In terms of the film industry, things do get filmed here from time to time with the biggest of these being We are Marshall, which was filmed here in Huntington. New tax incentives were passed to try to bring more filming to the state but most of the productions are on a smaller level.

Here are some links that you may find helpful and let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim

http://www.huntingtonboardofrealtors.com/

Cabell Huntington Hospital - Home page - Huntington, WV

St. Mary's Medical Center - Home

Huntington VA Medical Center - Locations

Contact WSAZ NewsChannel 3

WOWK-TV – News for Charleston and Huntington, West Virginia - WOWKTV.com (http://wowktv.com/page.cfm?pageid=101 - broken link)

Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
If your set on moving to the Charleston area, here are a couple of things to help you out.

CAMC- Charleston Area Medical Center is the primary hospital system in the area. There are several divisions/branches around the valley.

Spring Hill Bakery in South Charleston is a great place! They make a pastry called the "Hot Dog" that have become legendary.

If your looking to rent, you will find lot's of options. Southmoore Hills in South Charleston have some town homes and 3 bedroom apts that were remodled 5 years ago. I lived in one for 2 years when i was finishing college. There are also lot's of older homes in the valley for rent.

There aren't too many movies being filmed in WV right now. But "We Are Marshall" Was primarily filmed in Huntington. And the "Mothman Prophecies" was about Point Pleasant, WV but it was filmed in PA.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,998 times
If you don't want to go as far south or west as Charleston or Huntington, you may find the eastern panhandle has the best location for employment and school. Research these then decide where you want to move.

For your mom:
Career Opportunities - Valley Health
WVUH-East - Employment at WVUH-East
WVUH-East - Employment at WVUH-East
Department of Nursing Education

This has been a tough area for some of the new realtors that got in during the boom. Now things have settled down some and many of the newbies dropped out. So I would think there are opportunities for someone that is professional and motivated. There is still a relatively large volume of turnover if you get licensed in the easily covered georgraphical area which includes a few counties in VA and MD as well as WV.

For your brother:
Charles Town Races and Slots - Employment Information (http://www.ctownraces.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemi d=73 - broken link)
The Clarion Hotel & Conference Center of Historic Shepherdstown, WV

and any number of the myriad of high end restaurants and Inns within 40 miles. Look up cities like Martinsburg, Hagerstown, Winchester VA, Leesburg VA, Frederick MD.
Same thing goes for your position in PR/Comm; this is a big job market should be something that is within an easy commute.
Also research this site for jobs:
Jefferson County Development Authority - the source for economic, industrial, and business development in Jefferson County, West Virginia!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
I forgot to add a few other links for the Huntington area. Here are links for Marshall University and the "We are Marshall" movie along with some of the shopping and things to do. Also of note, being from Philly, there is a restaurant here that makes great Philly Cheesesteaks and they actually get their bread from a place in Philly. That way you won't have to miss good food (if you like cheesesteaks).

Tim

Marshall University, Huntington, WV

We Are Marshall: The Movie

The Marshall University Thundering Herd Official Athletic Site

Marshall University College of Fine Arts

Marshall Artists Series

Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV

http://www.huntington-mall.com/home/index.ch2

Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment

Benny's Cheesesteaks!

Huntington Funny Bone

GHPRD

Big Sandy Superstore Arena - Huntington, WV

Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
The sustaining growth area of Wv is the Morgantown region.
One hour from our big brother city, Pittsburgh and their International Airport.

Movies???
I have a friend in films and he is on a project here in Wv as we speak...a peroid piece set in the 1770's.
They are shooting the winter scenes at Ft. New Salem and Pricketts Fort now.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
If you don't want to go as far south or west as Charleston or Huntington, you may find the eastern panhandle has the best location for employment and school. Research these then decide where you want to move.
I agree. I feel there are many more opportunities, especially in health care, in that area. The real estate market has taken a beating, but that means if you are moving in you're going to find some really, really good opportunities for housing. Wages in healthcare are generally higher in the Hagerstown/Martinsburg/Winchester/NoVA region, the potential in upscale food service is better when you relocate to a growing market..

I'm not knocking other areas of the state, but for future job growth potential (as long as your not associated with building trades/real estate) is still bright in the EP region. Especially healthcare.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I agree. I feel there are many more opportunities, especially in health care, in that area. The real estate market has taken a beating, but that means if you are moving in you're going to find some really, really good opportunities for housing. Wages in healthcare are generally higher in the Hagerstown/Martinsburg/Winchester/NoVA region, the potential in upscale food service is better when you relocate to a growing market..

I'm not knocking other areas of the state, but for future job growth potential (as long as your not associated with building trades/real estate) is still bright in the EP region. Especially healthcare.
Also I forgot to mention the two new hospitals being built, Berkeley Springs & Romney. Both are replacing small antiquated facilities and should offer more employment. Both are Valley Health.
David is also right on with the central corridor up to Morgantown being a good opportunity with long term growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia