U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:41 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,562,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrose View Post
Hello, yes, I have lived in Romney and have friends in Elkins. Romney is a small, nice, friendly town. Elkins quite large. However, I have lived in many places in WV and found the folks with the same friendly personalities where ever I went. Always wanting to "feed" you, always want you to "sit a spell." taking time to talk with you. Even to the point of holding up traffic to do so. Of course WV has it's social problems, etc. like most places.
I still extend this same friendliness to others here where I live. However, people are so very different here for the most part.
I now live in Montana, (I wanna go home) and believe me, it is like a foreign land when compared to WV, completely different mind-set here. Oh, there are some friendly people here of course, but as a whole, they are guarded and just want you to "go away", attitude.
Over the years with my natural WV charm and friendliness I have made friends, but it just is not like home.
I truly believe that West Virginia is among the top friendliest places in the world.
Trust me Elkins is not large when you've lived there your whole life. ha ha. Occasionally I do find a new street or place though, which always excites me. It also seems to be changing more and more every time I go home. Which my time will be in June or so (Greetings to all from Warsaw, Poland).

Now onto the friendliness thing, I feel like a fish out of water over here in Poland. People expect you to get out of their way, and I mean right now! ha ha. Everyone runs around and acts cold toward each other. I guess its all those years of living under communism.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 AM

37 posts, read 95,270 times
West Virginia is not the most diverse place, even my dark skin gets me a few questions, "what are you"?...But I have been here 28 years and I have met some of the greatest "real" people, people still in touch with the land and nature...and not "fake" and out of touch. There are lots of artists tucked away here but I would say the beauty of the states mountains, forests, rivers and lakes makes it Almost Heaven. I have driven down back roads in probably 20 different counties and sometimes you feel as though you have truly gone back in time when life was simpler...That is worth a lot.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:56 AM

130 posts, read 336,353 times
Well, I've been experiencing the same thing out here on the creek. When we first moved here - if you didn't wave, it was an offense. NOW - all these "fancy" types moved in with their BMW's and Mercedes (no offense to the NICE people who have those) and everytime you try to wave, they stick their noses up at you. It's really getting frustrating. They need to haul their a$$es to somewhere where they will accept that kind.

IMO, skin color is not what matters - it's hospitality and warmth. I like people who are friendly, and warm. I don't care where they are from. As long as they understand the way the "system" works in a small town.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,377,117 times
Westvissouri:

Please don't make fun of those driving those foriegn cars....not everyone in America can afford a Chevrolet!

They probably would if they could...we need them for diversity...its sort of an Economic Equality thing.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 PM

130 posts, read 336,353 times
Haha, thanks for the reminder DK. I totally agree. We can't even afford a Chevrolet - had to go with a Dodge instead...

Really my problem was this dumba$$ that lives out here, drives a white BMW - and gets on my tail everytime he comes up behind me, NEVER waves and plays his stupid music way too loud when he goes by our house. Very rude i may add.

Economic Diversity is very key. An economic schism is bad.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,093 times
I am from New York and have met someone originally from West Virginia and he has the biggest heart. He is the type of person that will pull over to the side of the road to help you, extend both hands when he only has one to a total stranger, will just smile and greet someone in passing and just exudes what the world is missing because nowadays everyone is only out for themselves and all about money. If this is what West Virginia is truly like..... we MOST DEFINITELY NEED to clone their morals and upbringings and live how they live....and all this coming from someone who has lived in New York for too long to have forgotten that....so thank you Mister West Virginia ((T.M.N)) for putting my faith back in the world. And thank you to the people of West Virginia for keeping those morals alive!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,296,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianAndrews View Post
I am from New York and have met someone originally from West Virginia and he has the biggest heart. He is the type of person that will pull over to the side of the road to help you, extend both hands when he only has one to a total stranger, will just smile and greet someone in passing and just exudes what the world is missing because nowadays everyone is only out for themselves and all about money. If this is what West Virginia is truly like..... we MOST DEFINITELY NEED to clone their morals and upbringings and live how they live....and all this coming from someone who has lived in New York for too long to have forgotten that....so thank you Mister West Virginia ((T.M.N)) for putting my faith back in the world. And thank you to the people of West Virginia for keeping those morals alive!
Christian, as a WV native who is married to a New Yorker, and who spent many years working for NY I think you are on to something there. The reality is West Virginia is Americana combined with the remnants of a culture that grew from being isolated for a century, resulting in people being truly dependent on each other for survival. The attitude remains today. There are nice folks all over the State, but especially in North Central where the natives are absolutely fantastic. Don Knotts (a native) was basically playing himself on the Andy Griffith Show.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,004 times
I have lived here in West VA for 8 years. I have found that people are very clannish, snobbish, speak bluntly and to the point. I live a few miles east of Bridgeport, WV, not directly in the city but in a small town. I find the people in Flemington can appear to be quite friendly, but then when you are away, they will talk behind your back. Some will be very blunt and speak their mind. Many folks out here are on welfare or have large families, including adult children still living at home, and they all get a disability check. Then there are those disabled folks who are real badly off and don't qualify for a dime. People will watch you and study you, as though you are under review and evaluation as long as you live in the neighborhood. Some neighbors will join together for parties and sticking with their same old friends they have had for decades. Not many of the folks will be looking for new friends, but prefer to talk to their family members, adult children, and current friends. Some people will brag about their lives and you realize they don't have much material things or maybe they live in a mobile home and think they are high class. If you get a job at Ronald Mcd or another fast food or regular restaurant, expect to be sent home often when business slows down. I have had several friends who had jobs and they were told they would be working a 40 hour week and they only get 20 hours a week. Who can live off that? If you are thinking of buying a house out here, try to buy it close to Morgantown or Charleston or within the city limits. Otherwise, you may be living here for a decade or more, while you realize you want to travel to better destinations. Some people will bring their families outside on the front lawn to hoot and hollar and carry on, shooting their guns and fireworks, to let the world know how important they are. But truth be known, I prefer the folks who mind their own business and want to have their privacy. It is too much trouble to put on a show for these folks and take a few years to become good friends. You have to put up with too much B.S. along the way. If you want privacy, they will tell you that you are hiding out away from the world. So I would not recommend northern West VA to anyone other than Morgantown. If you are considering moving here, think again. There are nicer, more intelligent people in other states. I am looking forward to moving to Kentucky one day.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:08 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,296,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodysjazz View Post
I have lived here in West VA for 8 years. I have found that people are very clannish, snobbish, speak bluntly and to the point. I live a few miles east of Bridgeport, WV, not directly in the city but in a small town. I find the people in Flemington can appear to be quite friendly, but then when you are away, they will talk behind your back. Some will be very blunt and speak their mind. Many folks out here are on welfare or have large families, including adult children still living at home, and they all get a disability check. Then there are those disabled folks who are real badly off and don't qualify for a dime. People will watch you and study you, as though you are under review and evaluation as long as you live in the neighborhood. Some neighbors will join together for parties and sticking with their same old friends they have had for decades. Not many of the folks will be looking for new friends, but prefer to talk to their family members, adult children, and current friends. Some people will brag about their lives and you realize they don't have much material things or maybe they live in a mobile home and think they are high class. If you get a job at Ronald Mcd or another fast food or regular restaurant, expect to be sent home often when business slows down. I have had several friends who had jobs and they were told they would be working a 40 hour week and they only get 20 hours a week. Who can live off that? If you are thinking of buying a house out here, try to buy it close to Morgantown or Charleston or within the city limits. Otherwise, you may be living here for a decade or more, while you realize you want to travel to better destinations. Some people will bring their families outside on the front lawn to hoot and hollar and carry on, shooting their guns and fireworks, to let the world know how important they are. But truth be known, I prefer the folks who mind their own business and want to have their privacy. It is too much trouble to put on a show for these folks and take a few years to become good friends. You have to put up with too much B.S. along the way. If you want privacy, they will tell you that you are hiding out away from the world. So I would not recommend northern West VA to anyone other than Morgantown. If you are considering moving here, think again. There are nicer, more intelligent people in other states. I am looking forward to moving to Kentucky one day.
I wonder how you would know people are talking behind your back if you aren't there, but with the attitude you have, it's easy to see why they'd do it. They are probably wondering how such an idiot ended up there, especially somebody from such an intelligent origin.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 PM

6,347 posts, read 8,904,840 times
The more south, generally, the more racist it gets.

Also, people from the Charleston and Huntington area can have a weird close-minded mentality where they feel they are the center the universe and deserve everything from the state, while the rest of the state gets nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia