U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-14-2018, 09:42 PM
 
931 posts, read 1,412,965 times
Reputation: 384

Advertisements

Everybody has a different definition of racism and what is racist today.

Most people in WV communities I have served are "let people live" type of people.

I was a principal in a school once where a black lady was transferred to our area. She purchased a house and came to enroll her son. After we finished the formal enrollment, she asked how many black students do you have. I had to tell her that her son made us one. I could literally see her shock and I could tell she was wondering "what in the world have I done".

He was in the third grade then and several years later, I saw her at a local event. She came up to tell me how great everyone accepted her son and what a great job all the teachers did for him and helped make in the man he was becoming as a student at Marshall University.

My opinion is there are other stories out there very similar in many WV communities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 PM
 
84 posts, read 57,262 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Nearly half...42 percent...of voters statewide and sixteen counties voted in favor of retaining the clause in the state constitution mandating school segregation.

Not in 1954. Not in 1964.

In 1994!

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/we...e7f410fb3.html

This clause had no effect because fortunately federal protections were in play from the 1950s onwards but it shows where nearly half was the electorate was at in their minds as far as race was concerned.

Lol.... Looking to segregate in a state thats segeregated by default. Hilarious.

Racism only comes from blacks that move in though.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2018, 11:56 PM
 
84 posts, read 57,262 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Everybody has a different definition of racism and what is racist today.

Most people in WV communities I have served are "let people live" type of people.

I was a principal in a school once where a black lady was transferred to our area. She purchased a house and came to enroll her son. After we finished the formal enrollment, she asked how many black students do you have. I had to tell her that her son made us one. I could literally see her shock and I could tell she was wondering "what in the world have I done".

He was in the third grade then and several years later, I saw her at a local event. She came up to tell me how great everyone accepted her son and what a great job all the teachers did for him and helped make in the man he was becoming as a student at Marshall University.

My opinion is there are other stories out there very similar in many WV communities.

The bolded is the key. I think some people from WV on this thread didn't even consider that. And with this, here lies the problem.

As someone else on another thread stated (loosely by my memory), racism is more subtle and coded. This is 100% correct, even outside of WV. Some people see it, while others don't. In some folks mind, since black people aren't being lynched, can eat in the same restaurant with them and they can't call them n-word publicly, racism is no an longer issue.

Racism is a mentality and a practice, not really just extreme events. Saying things such as "I have family black members in WV and they never had a problem", is close to racist.

Take the time out to think beyond yourself. Have you examined every moment of your family member's existence? Have you asked all 8 people about EVERY MOMENT OF THEIR LIVES or are you just going by what YOU'VE seen? Have you paid attention to how ALL non-whites interacted with your family?

Also, even if they agree with what you stated, would they even know what to look for? It's probably a problem for non-white folks to grow up in a state that is 96% white to grant a fair assessment. Some people may have a "hey there is an issue here" sense about themselves. Others may be scared to speak out. Others may not even have enough awareness to see something wrong (aka "white-washed"...etc).

With 4% of the population being non-white, thats a small sampling size to gage that you do not have racial issues. Also, your white-privileged life may give you the ability to not even take these thoughts into consideration. I'm not sure.


Anyways, I'm not surprised that "black folks who moved in" to WV seem to be "racist". They probably see a mentality that is deeply insulated in white supremacy and white privilege that the natives may not. If a slick remark is being made, any person who has some awareness will pick up on that. White supremacy is used to not being challenged, so there for any question of it is recognized as "racism" as opposed to "exposure" or "truth".

I'm going on another tangent. I noticed that this simple thought of "what is racism" didn't seem prevalent in this thread until it was brought up here. It was a great point that needed to be made.

Last edited by cwitty; 01-16-2018 at 12:11 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia
1,214 posts, read 2,024,439 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwitty View Post
The bolded is the key. I think some people from WV on this thread didn't even consider that. And with this, here lies the problem.

As someone else on another thread stated (loosely by my memory), racism is more subtle and coded. This is 100% correct, even outside of WV. Some people see it, while others don't. In some folks mind, since black people aren't being lynched, can eat in the same restaurant with them and they can't call them n-word publicly, racism is no an longer issue.

Racism is a mentality and a practice, not really just extreme events. Saying things such as "I have family black members in WV and they never had a problem", is close to racist.

Take the time out to think beyond yourself. Have you examined every moment of your family member's existence? Have you asked all 8 people about EVERY MOMENT OF THEIR LIVES or are you just going by what YOU'VE seen? Have you paid attention to how ALL non-whites interacted with your family?

Also, even if they agree with what you stated, would they even know what to look for? It's probably a problem for non-white folks to grow up in a state that is 96% white to grant a fair assessment. Some people may have a "hey there is an issue here" sense about themselves. Others may be scared to speak out. Others may not even have enough awareness to see something wrong (aka "white-washed"...etc).

With 4% of the population being non-white, thats a small sampling size to gage that you do not have racial issues. Also, your white-privileged life may give you the ability to not even take these thoughts into consideration. I'm not sure.


Anyways, I'm not surprised that "black folks who moved in" to WV seem to be "racist". They probably see a mentality that is deeply insulated in white supremacy and white privilege that the natives may not. If a slick remark is being made, any person who has some awareness will pick up on that. White supremacy is used to not being challenged, so there for any question of it is recognized as "racism" as opposed to "exposure" or "truth".

I'm going on another tangent. I noticed that this simple thought of "what is racism" didn't seem prevalent in this thread until it was brought up here. It was a great point that needed to be made.
Good post, but you lost some credibility when you added "white privileged lifestyle".

Is the assumption that because of the color of our skin we live or have lived a privileged lifestyle?

The word "privileged" by the dictionary definition doesn't even remotely describe West Virginia. As a state, we've overcome more hardship through our history than some third-world countries.

If you simply mean that we, as whites, are unable to see the hardships of minority races because we are the majority, then I understand. I'm curious what your definition of "white privileged lifestyle" is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2018, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, Hilly South, Land of Doors
1,997 posts, read 1,083,434 times
Reputation: 2627
African Americans comprise a good portion of WVU's football and basketball teams, for what it's worth. I've not had much experience with racism in WV in my 50+ years of visiting there frequently. But that's just my opinion.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 05:46 PM
 
84 posts, read 57,262 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Good post, but you lost some credibility when you added "white privileged lifestyle".

Is the assumption that because of the color of our skin we live or have lived a privileged lifestyle?

The word "privileged" by the dictionary definition doesn't even remotely describe West Virginia. As a state, we've overcome more hardship through our history than some third-world countries.

If you simply mean that we, as whites, are unable to see the hardships of minority races because we are the majority, then I understand. I'm curious what your definition of "white privileged lifestyle" is.

No credibility is lost if its actually true.

I won't dive into everything concerning white privilege. For this scenario, it affords white people the ability to overlook, not consider certain factors, or straight up not care about the plight of someone of color. This is especially true in a place where white people are the overwhelmingly majority of the population.


By no means was it meant to say that because you are white, you live a more affluent lifestyle. During my journeys through WV, I did not see a lot of what I would call "wealth". That definitely was not meant to be implied in that post.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 03:04 PM
 
37 posts, read 21,023 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwitty View Post
So you and your wife had more issues in a melting pot such as NOVA than in a state thats 96% white?? Riiiight lol

Anyways, you are confirming my point, most people who dont see an issue with race in WV are probably white. Im not sure about your wife and what issues she's run into. She may be oblivious to racial issues, she may pass for a white woman. Who knows. But the fact that im pretty sure you are white tells me what I need to know.


Of course there are some places out EP that are better than others
(Martinsburg, Shepardsville), but there are some places that arent friendly to others. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT.


i'll go by my experience of a white woman telling to "get on the road its getting dark out" over what you say on here any day of the week. If a white person is telling you its not safe around here, what else do i need?

Husband showed me this thread and your response. As the non white wife my husband mentioned of me in his original post and for someone who actually lives in this community I will say I love it here and the people are the most welcoming and friendly people of anywhere Ive ever lived. Cwitty doesnt live here so take what he says with a grain of salt. Im sorry you had a bad experience but as a colored female who actually lives here 365 days a year I will say this community is awesome. If your looking to move here and you think that is an issue...dont hesitate!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 05:50 PM
 
84 posts, read 57,262 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
Husband showed me this thread and your response. As the non white wife my husband mentioned of me in his original post and for someone who actually lives in this community I will say I love it here and the people are the most welcoming and friendly people of anywhere Ive ever lived. Cwitty doesnt live here so take what he says with a grain of salt. Im sorry you had a bad experience but as a colored female who actually lives here 365 days a year I will say this community is awesome. If your looking to move here and you think that is an issue...dont hesitate!

I love how people attempt to discredit me as if I need to live in a state to see racism.

I guess if I was hanging from a tree or called a n-word on one of my visits, racism in WV would be negated because "he didnt live here"?!?!?


Anyways, your experience isnt supposed to represent everyone else's. I have presented evidence that proves my point. The only evidence you and your husband presented is "we live here". That doesnt mean much to me. You can be the type of "colored" person that is oblvious to racism or waits until something flat out happens to you to call it what it is.


Just because you lack awareness doesnt mean racism does not exist.

Me, I read between the lines. The weird looks, the coded jargon spoken by natives, the amount of confederate flags i see in a state that seceeded from Virginia due partly to its confederacy status and the fact that somebody TOLD me to leave town before it got dark is enough for me. Btw, a lot of this happened to me on seperate visits. Why would I need to move in to see racism after that if a good amount of my visits race is an issue of some sorts?

Anyways, I will be back in WV someday soon enough. I've met some nice and welcoming people myself so Id be a lie to say EVERYONE in the state has a problem. But if you went 365 days without seeing SOMETHING and Ive see enough in about 5-7 times of my 15 visits, im inclined to think something is wrong with your awareness, or lack there of. Especially with you being married to someone white.

Last edited by cwitty; 01-21-2018 at 06:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,603 posts, read 8,959,126 times
Reputation: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwitty View Post
I love how people attempt to discredit me as if I need to live in a state to see racism.

I guess if I was hanging from a tree or called a n-word on one of my visits, racism in WV would be negated because "he didnt live here"?!?!?


Anyways, your experience isnt supposed to represent everyone else's. I have presented evidence that proves my point. The only evidence you and your husband presented is "we live here". That doesnt mean much to me. You can be the type of "colored" person that is oblvious to racism or waits until something flat out happens to you to call it what it is.


Just because you lack awareness doesnt mean racism does not exist.

Me, I read between the lines. The weird looks, the coded jargon spoken by natives, the amount of confederate flags i see in a state that seceeded from Virginia due partly to its confederacy status and the fact that somebody TOLD me to leave town before it got dark is enough for me. Btw, a lot of this happened to me on seperate visits. Why would I need to move in to see racism after that if a good amount of my visits race is an issue of some sorts?

Anyways, I will be back in WV someday soon enough. I've met some nice and welcoming people myself so Id be a lie to say EVERYONE in the state has a problem. But if you went 365 days without seeing SOMETHING and Ive see enough in about 5-7 times of my 15 visits, im inclined to think something is wrong with your awareness, or lack there of. Especially with you being married to someone white.
You bring up some good points, but it is important to keep in mind that what you are seeing in an intersection or race, insider/outsider dichotomy and urban/rural dichotomy. Appalachia in general is a place where being an "insider" versus an "outsider" matters in how you are perceived and treated. Black people that are members of our communities are "insiders" while black, white and any other races who are not from the community are "outsiders."

This is NOT to say there is no racism in WV or that you didn't experience it, but just as you point out others are not qualified to speak about your "lived experience" there, you can't speak to theirs either. If you have multiple POC in WV saying they love it there and feel accepted, that is reality too.

So, yes, it is not correct to say WV is free of racism, especially for outsiders who come to visit. But likewise, your personal experience isn't enough to claim there is something wrong with other people's "awareness" of what is going on around them.

Lastly, the same stuff you experience happens to white people too, it is your reaction to it that is different. I get stared out when I get 30 minutes outside my hometown too, people around here look at each other, when driving, when walking, cars will even sometimes slow down to get a better look, it is a weird feeling. As a white male, I simply take it to mean the person is trying to figure out "do I know that person" and "if not, what are they doing here." Likewise, my white friend warned me when we were taking a overnight trip to Pocohontas County about watching what I say around the locals. Even being white from Appalachia doesn't put me in the club, I am still an outsider who was advised to be on my best behavior.

Lastly, rural roads suck at night and are full of deer. It is not very safe overall, especially not for people unfamiliar with the area to drive at night. I would advice a non-local to leave before dark too, probably completely unaware that such a statement could be interpreted as racist because of the experiences of POC.

I completely understand how race legitimately leads to different interpretations of these behaviors and statements, but I think it is mistake to assume race is the sole reason for them. We are dealing with intersectionality here, it's more complicated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 AM
 
9,734 posts, read 8,676,125 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
African Americans comprise a good portion of WVU's football and basketball teams, for what it's worth. I've not had much experience with racism in WV in my 50+ years of visiting there frequently. But that's just my opinion.
Most college athletes are recruited from out of state to play on the teams. When I attended college in WV in the 1980's the black players came mostly from Atlanta, GA and had ZERO connection to the state.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top