Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 47,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygrl707 View Post
I have noticed that people in my neighborhood doesnt speak or say good morning anymore. What ever happened to friendly people?? I go into the grocery store and your lucky to get a hello most people are down right rude. I understand people want there own space and want to enjoy there family what ever happend to being pleasant?????? Is this just chicago or are the people in west virgina the same.

I have lived in WV all my life and am pleasant & friendly to everyone I come into contact with, guess I am a people person. Most of the people that I know are the same. A dose of kindness goes a long way. I have been to larger cities <NY, NJ and Chicago> and I agree there are a lot of people who aren't very friendly or pleasant, just smile & be kind, makes you the better person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM

12 posts, read 46,539 times
People in West Virginia are definitely the friendiest. There will be of course a few people that aren't, but don't mind them and don't let those few give you a bad taste in your mouth about Mountaineers.
Here's how friendly the ppl of WV are (especially in Williamstown)
A few years ago, we had a bad storm with some very strong winds, possibly even a tornado. My family and I had to retreat to the basement until the storm was over. When we came out, the entire neighborhood was a trainwreck of fallen trees, pieces of house rooves everywhere, and fallen electric lines. There wasn't too much extensive damage, but as soon as the storm was over, all of my neighbors emerged from the safety of their basements and we all stood out in the streets in the middle of the night talking to each other and making sure everyone was okay. We all helped each other pick up the fallen pieces of their house. These are the kind of people you will find in Williamstown. The neighbors here and more than friendly, they'll go out of their way to help you.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:55 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
W.V. is awesome! My good friend is from W.V. Nice people there!

Hatfields' cemetary was neat.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:17 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrose View Post
Hi in Chicago,
No way! people in WV are soooooo friendly! If you come to visit, (even if you are a stranger) most WV folks will offer you hospitality, food, cookies, chat, etc. Always ready to talk or wave or say "Good mornin'. I love the attitude of West Virginians. I adopted WV as my home many years ago and raised my family there. All 7 kids, ..If need directions, they will help you and may try to keep you there to chat for awhile. Watch [u]where[/U you stop to ask directions, they will stop in middle of the road and chat. haha...]Never have to worry about folks in WV being friendly. for sure!
I am stuck in Montana at the present time, but can't wait to get back home to WV. ***wvrose
Where in WV are you from? I've narrowed in down to a few counties I'm checking out, Greenbrier, Monroe, Pocahantas, Webster, and Nicholas. Can you give me any clues about those places? Being from TX now and CA originally, I'm a little concerned about how I'll do in the snow should I decide to move to WV.

I read on one of the posts that Summersville in Nicholas county is a great place.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm just curious but what is wrong with Montana?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 AM

7 posts, read 25,862 times
I agree with Georgia... mostly because I am from the Romney area... but Romney is a friendly town I think..Its a town and county where mostly everyone knows everyone... unless your a move in... but most people are still friendly to you..There are a few grouchy people but you have them in most of the towns.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
KewGee... don't worry about the snow. I know a lot of people who drive cars cause it really only snows a decent amount a few times a year. I have a Jetta and it does just fine in the snow. The snow can cause some annoyances.. Such as Coldness, shoveling the snow off your sidewalk. Some people think its really pretty. I'm kind of annoyed with it though ha ha

Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 PM

69 posts, read 394,121 times
WV is a friendly state. When I moved to Bridgeport, people were waving in the neighborhoods as I was looking for houses for sale. The real estate agents were all very professional and polite. People in the stores actually thank you for shopping there. Most drivers on the interstate are not in a mad rush. Sure, there were a few exceptions, but it always amazed me when I left WV to visit neighboring states, how nice it was to be back in WV. If I could find a good job, I would move back to WV.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 PM

215 posts, read 1,164,588 times
I have visited WV twice -- the people are sooooo nice it makes you wanna cry! I live in NJ and my husband and I (and 2 little kids) are a quiet christian family. The kindness shown to us in WV made us really wanna cry! We're moving to Tucker/Randolph county area in the spring/summer of this year. I can't wait!

West Virginia -- truly almost heaven!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Pick Randolph County. Tucker County never has school in the winter time because their high school was built in the middle of no where on top of a mountain! Elkins has an elevation around 1900 ft i believe and receives some snow but nothing compared to the higher elevations in Tucker County

Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM

16 posts, read 86,472 times
Default West Virginians

West Virginia has a lot of suspicious, negative people. The church people are very snotty. I am from MS. I have ived here in WV 12 years. I do not fit in. I don't over sleep, over-eat or worry about people taking my stuff. I have had quiet a bad experience with church people. Now wal-mart people are very nice. They do seem down a bit. I try to cheer them up. I am a joyful, happy person and get lots of looks. I think maybe they think I am on drugs or something. I have found that after several years of communicating with some people that they had trouble understanding me when I talk. I run all my words together youknowusMississippians. So I began to talk slower and now it seems I don't get so may looks.......thats my two sense. My husband is a WV but he doesn't sound like then or act like them. Thank God! We are in hopes of moving to TN in two years. We love it there. We spend our vacations there every year. People are very friendly and love you it seems. I have been lost here in WV. Just need some family figures in my life. I love the Mountains in WV and the over all living here. Just haven't connected with the right peole I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia