U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 AM

480 posts, read 2,703,174 times

Advertisements

What's really sad is that you think they're stuck up and paranoid. That's a sign of insecurity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tterry71 View Post
I couldnt agree with you more. I was born in Martinsburg. Moving back soon. Cant stand the nothern states. too stuck up and paranoid of their neighbors. That is really sad
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 12,460 times
I'm from the D.C. area, I've lived here (Martinsburg) for almost 2 months...And I must say that West Virginians are some of the friendliest people I've ever encountered.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:24 AM

9 posts, read 37,816 times
Im obviously from my SN from clarksburg, but I think WV is an awesome state and most of the people I have lived around are the friendliest I have ever met, but there are some exceptions of friendliness in the mountain state if you have any other ethnicity other than caucasian. In my opinion I think this racism is haltering the growth of WV

Old 04-12-2007, 12:07 PM

215 posts, read 1,097,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarksburg Kid View Post
Im obviously from my SN from clarksburg, but I think WV is an awesome state and most of the people I have lived around are the friendliest I have ever met, but there are some exceptions of friendliness in the mountain state if you have any other ethnicity other than caucasian. In my opinion I think this racism is haltering the growth of WV
I have suspected that, and hoped that wasn't the case. My husband and I are caucasian, but our last name doesn't sound caucasian. I have put in so many resumes with jobs I am qualified for, and never had a problem getting hired anywhere EVER because of my qualifications. I was seriously starting to think it was my last name (my last name is "Reinas" - it looks spanish but we aren't spanish - we're white as white can be).

Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 AM

421 posts, read 1,455,526 times
Default Pittsburgh is provincial

[quote=Blu;93061]I'm from the eastern panhandle in wv also......and while i agree not every one is the most friendly BUT you also have to realize.....this area is becoming the back yard of D.C. since 9/11 the residents who could afford to move and commute and settled in our area.....and what a beautiful area it is......heck even i moved here from another area. Pittsburgh!! and ifyou think people here are rude and un welcoming try living in pittsburgh, i have an accent n they were down right against me being part of thier world.....and here in Martinsburg i'm welcomed because my accent blends in with the rest.

That is Pittsburgh for ya! They speak their own, oddball dialect there, and are very provincial. I'm from Ohio, and I find Pittsburghers to fit the bad "hillbilly" stereotype 110%. Those people absolutely murder the English language, and hate those of us from other places who stand out while there because we can speak clearly and with decent grammar. The unfair stereotype that WVA gets saddled with actually fits with Pittsburgh. The locals are uneducated, suspicious of outsiders, have a bad attitude and are painfully stupid. They should all be sent over to Wheeling to learn how to speak English and to get some decent manners!! Not only are they dumb hillbillies, they are rude hillbillies who never say please or thank you. They hate Ohio and persisently talk about that because their city looks like a garbage dump, and they are jealous of our jobs and prosperity.

I've been to Wheeling, and found it to be a surprisingly nice town in all respects. What impressed me most was that the locals were well mannered and pleasant, and did not speak with the moronic accent of nearby Pittsburgh.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 AM

50 posts, read 159,047 times
Unfortunately no matter where you go you are probably going to run into stuck up or rude people at some point.

I live in Chicago now and couldn't be happier. Granted people can be testy here, but it's all in how you deal with it. However, there are a lot of good people here too.

Having said that, the same goes for West Virginia. I did live in WV for three years and found the people generally friendly as well. I loved the atmosphere of the entire state and how everything seemed less hectic. It's a different pace between WV and IL.

People shouldn't really knock another area just because it didn't work out for them....whether it's West Virginia, Illinois, Mississippi, etc... Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others feel the same way.

I don't mean to sound all "preachy" but I was getting annoyed with all the slamming of the different states and people.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:20 AM

240 posts, read 686,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
I have suspected that, and hoped that wasn't the case. My husband and I are caucasian, but our last name doesn't sound caucasian. I have put in so many resumes with jobs I am qualified for, and never had a problem getting hired anywhere EVER because of my qualifications. I was seriously starting to think it was my last name (my last name is "Reinas" - it looks spanish but we aren't spanish - we're white as white can be).
I think it depends on the job market wherever you're applying for a job. In southernmost WV, it's very tight. Lots more applicants than jobs. It does help to know someone or at least have references that are local people.

My married name is far from the norm around here. It's never effected my ability to get a job. I just always have to spell it out all the time.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:54 PM

10 posts, read 35,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygrl707 View Post
I have noticed that people in my neighborhood doesnt speak or say good morning anymore. What ever happened to friendly people?? I go into the grocery store and your lucky to get a hello most people are down right rude. I understand people want there own space and want to enjoy there family what ever happend to being pleasant?????? Is this just chicago or are the people in west virgina the same.
People in wva are not the same you will be spoken too iam from the coal fields area of wv born and raised here so come on down with us friendly people..

Old 04-13-2007, 10:58 PM

10 posts, read 35,475 times
wv is friendly still i was born and raised here i promise you will get spoken too when your at the grocery store. I lived in indiana for about 5 years on and off i told my husband people in the chicago area were kinda not on speaking terms.Iam none the less glad iam back home..

Old 04-15-2007, 10:51 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,675,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tterry71 View Post
I couldnt agree with you more. I was born in Martinsburg. Moving back soon. Cant stand the nothern states. too stuck up and paranoid of their neighbors. That is really sad
Was born there too. Not moving back.
Martinsburg now is not Martinsburg of the past.

While in Charleston last month discussing at dinner with a few folk, I told them I was originally from Berkeley County, their response.... Oh, you mean your from New Washington DC. We don't even consider that area West Virginia anymore.

Sadly, they are correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia