U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:40 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,562,179 times

Advertisements

Well i guess thats something you have to give up with growth and prosperity
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 17,648 times
I'm from the Detroit area. Everybody is nicer compared to the locals here. If anyone does wave at you, they're missing three fingers and a thumb!! The drivers are inconsiderate sons of female dogs. I've lived here for 45 years and it just has become progressively worse. Try this.............initiating conversation!! On the movie Big Daddy that's what the kid says, "Initiating conversation is half the battle." You'll be surprised at the outcoming. Just try not to be like Borat when you do.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:00 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,675,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Well i guess thats something you have to give up with growth and prosperity

It has the growth, but still looking for the prosperity
Outside of being a place to sleep for 90,000 DC commuters, there isn't much else outside of a run down downtown and ever increasing crime rate.

OK, back to topic.
In most of WV, the folks are good people

Old 04-15-2007, 06:44 PM

Yes back to the topic from someone who still lives in WV... West Virginia people are the nicest people in the states in my opinion, and in response to someone who was complaining about people from other states ragging on West Virginia and other states. I agree! We all live in America, we all have the same rights (Unless your gay) and I'm sure there is a place for everyone in America. The people going around saying things and making fun of WV or any other state needs to stop.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:40 AM

421 posts, read 1,455,456 times
Default Michiganders are friendly too

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableComic View Post
I'm from the Detroit area. Everybody is nicer compared to the locals here. If anyone does wave at you, they're missing three fingers and a thumb!! The drivers are inconsiderate sons of female dogs. I've lived here for 45 years and it just has become progressively worse. Try this.............initiating conversation!! On the movie Big Daddy that's what the kid says, "Initiating conversation is half the battle." You'll be surprised at the outcoming. Just try not to be like Borat when you do.
Have to disagree. Used to live in the Toledo area, always noticed, in my travels in Michigan, how friendly most people are. For a big metro area, Detroit is very down home, plain folks, tell it like it is in attitude. The roads suck and the crime rate is very high, but one thing it is not is snobby or high brow. In Northern MI, folks are genuine and friendly like in WVA and very unpretentious.

The only bad thing about MI is the ignorant comments about Ohio. The attitude toward Ohio just has to go. FOr one, the MI locals seem to have only been to the Western part of Ohio. A trip to Cleveland should be mandatory for all MI folks before any Ohio oriented discussions are initiated!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:34 PM

7 posts, read 29,336 times
I would say some of the people of WV some are referring to as being awful, rude, scary, weird, whatever.....have developed attitudes from outside remarks and stigmas.

Unless you live here and you have been a victim of harassment because you are from WV and you have to defend your state, your community, and your name on a regular basis, don't judge the people who aren't from the wonderful stories you hear about the ppl here, you have NO IDEA how it feels.

I go to the beach and tell ppl as close as SC that I am from WV and they ask me if I sleep with my cousins, if I know ppl that do, and even WHERE IT IS!!!!

People from various states talk downward about WVU which is nationally globally ranked in many areas. Again, people at the beach asked me if it was a community school. Our university had intentions of going to the national championship in football and basketball (in mens and the women did make it that far) our men's bball team won the NIT tourny and our gymnastics team has recently competed on a regional level I think and one of the members is headed to nationals. There is no excuse to be ignorant enough to not know where WV is considering every grade school student takes state tests over and over again. Also, because WV is among some of the best universities across the nation that have other reasons than we do to be known....bigger states, around longer, whatever......the fact we do so great for where and who we are is just amazing.

This is no excuse not to wave but I haven't talked to anyone who has moved here from places like Texas, NY, etc that says they look people in the eye more here. A professor from NY/Jersey said he quit finding change on the ground because he isn't forced to walk looking down at the ground out of fear and anxiety of people in other states.

So, a few may think we aren't the greatest but I beg to differ. We are some of the greatest. I'm proud of us and proud to be from here.

PS - I'm a waver and a smiler...! Everyone should do it more...so, if you start practicing...you will def. get a smile back from me!!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:57 PM

215 posts, read 1,097,187 times
Hey, I'm not from WV (I'm from NJ) and I"m moving to WV next month. I will stand and defend WV and its people! I have been there a few times and that's why I'm going back there to make it my home and raise my 2 kids. The people are the friendliest you'd find anywhere, the scenery is beautiful, the sweet tea is the best (where else can I get a sweet tea at a McDonalds? lol), and the people I've come across are not pretending to be nice either -- they are sincere!

WV is the best and I'm glad the West Virginians are so willing to adopt me and my NJ family!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:54 PM

I agree 100% with "wvandwvufan". Recently on spring break in Daytona beach i encountered such a scenario. We were partying by the poolside and this older couple from tampa barged in and joined us and asked where we were from. When we replied WV she made some banjo noise and was like OH GOD! She probably hasn't even been to WV to see its beauty and realize things have changed drastically in the last 100 years. We are just like every other state in the nation, and I for one am sick and tired of the negative stigma associated with our fine state.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:29 AM

215 posts, read 1,097,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I agree 100% with "wvandwvufan". Recently on spring break in Daytona beach i encountered such a scenario. We were partying by the poolside and this older couple from tampa barged in and joined us and asked where we were from. When we replied WV she made some banjo noise and was like OH GOD! She probably hasn't even been to WV to see its beauty and realize things have changed drastically in the last 100 years. We are just like every other state in the nation, and I for one am sick and tired of the negative stigma associated with our fine state.
That was just plain ignorant of those folks from Tampa to say such things. I read your post and WVUFAN's to my husband and he was disgusted at the behavior of grown men and women.

WV gets a big thumbs up in my book! http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/2.gif (broken link)

Old 04-21-2007, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,421 times
Hi, I just got accepted to graduate school at University of Charleston and my husband and I are moving to Charleston from Salt lake city ,Utah. I visited Charleston for my school interview and really loved it, It is a beautiful city and people seemed friendly. But some of my friend here told me some scary stories about racism in West virgina, I hope those are not the truth! especially because we are Muslim and I wear scarf, I really don't know what is the reaction of people while we are living over there ...
thanks for your helps... I am really happy that I found this forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia