U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:09 PM

396 posts, read 859,814 times

Advertisements

I live >3y in Charleston.Honestly, I don't know about rasism here. I know there is a lot of racial prejudice here. But it's not area specific. Another number- WV has the least racially diverse state, state with the least immigration.
Racism is a problem in remote WV villages but I doubt it's a problem in charleston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,423 times
Yeah from my experience people in Utah try to be so nice to minorities and people from other cultures but sometimes you feel they are fake, but in Charleston I felt honesty and really liked it.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 PM

688 posts, read 2,682,325 times
Default Scott,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod8 View Post
I am also looking into moving to WV in a couple of months and agree with you that no one knows how to be neighborally anymore. Jobs are a lot harder to find but at this time Im willing to take a paycut. Good luck
Scott
Yes, jobs are soooooooo hard to come by in WV! That's one reason I don't live there anymore. But if you are interested, you may want to check out a company that used to be called RAC, in Ravenswood/Ripley area. Jackson Co. I'm not sure I've not been there in a few years but it may be called something else. It is an aluminum plant and the pay is good. It may be a little challenging at first to get your foot in. But if you do, it's worth it. The plant is actually located in Millwood, WV. That's in between Ripley and Ravenswood. That's where most people in the area make a living at. Hope that helped some.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:59 PM

688 posts, read 2,682,325 times
Hey, it doesn't really matter does it? I mean, you were nice and that's what counts really! These people were probably havin a rotten day and I just bet you helped them by smiling and sayin hey yourself , even if you don't know it! And, they might have been friendlier to the next person, hopefully. Ya just never know.....

Old 04-29-2007, 04:47 PM

15 posts, read 73,100 times
Well, you have snobs everywhere. It's definitely changing here though. It's not as friendly as it use to be. You still have people while you're walking along in the park greet you, or walking in a store somebody will help if you drop something and say you're holding a small child. If you break down or run out of gas people are usually there to help, especially the older crowd.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,147 times
West Virginia is still holding on as being friendly. I see it slipping away, though. Most people will speak to you as you pass by them on the sidewalk or in a store. You will also see a lot of people holding the door open for a stranger and you will also find more courteous drivers (that also is slipping away...).

Old 09-02-2007, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 35,705 times
I go up to WV (Hurricane area) quite frequently from S. Florida. I have been going since 1990 and I can say that WV people have been the friendliest until the last couple of years or so....I have noticed the niceness "slipping away". Noticing many more incidents of road rage and tailgating. What happened?? It seems rudeness is contagious and has even infected WV. I find it disturbing and saddening. It still has a long way to go to match S. Florida rudeness but still....it seems once an area goes down that path, there is no turning back. I still love WV though.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,823 times
my name is tommy glandon, i was born and grew up in whitesville wva, used to know a lot of people there, in 1967 i went to vietnam and stayed in the army 23 years, i live in fayetteville nc now but still keep in touch with old friends from whitesville. did you know any of the fosters from petus? danny foster called me last night, we talked four hours. my girl was carolyn snodgrass from stickney,i new junor averson, ronnie averson roger and all the averson boys.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:43 PM

302 posts, read 974,033 times
As far as Mich. folks looking down on Ohioans, it reminds me of the song by Kris Kristofferson, " Everybody needs somebody to look down on".
Mich. people joke about Ohioans and also Hoosiers, who in turn make jokes about Kentuckians. Ohio and WV seem to have issues. In Ca.they joke about Mexicans, not realizing that Mexicans make fun of Americans, too, while smiling and acting so sincerely gracious. Maybe Rodney King had it right. Can't we all just get along?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:48 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,384,268 times
Its tribal...not trusting the stranger...goes back a few generations.
About those Mexicans....taking back their land in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas...over 14 million of them now...WOW...
Did you know Vincente Fox's Grandfather was from Cincinatti?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia