Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The more south, generally, the more racist it gets.

Also, people from the Charleston and Huntington area can have a weird close-minded mentality where they feel they are the center the universe and deserve everything from the state, while the rest of the state gets nothing.
I've spent most of my 60+ years in the Huntington and Charleston areas and my experience is that this attitude is the opposite of my observations. Post like this make me wonder if a person has ever been to West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 887 times
I am trying to learn about the social climate in Huntington, WV. Can anyone of color speak honestly about what it is like to live there, as an adult and as a teen? Thank you

Old 11-01-2017, 10:42 AM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler View Post
I am trying to learn about the social climate in Huntington, WV. Can anyone of color speak honestly about what it is like to live there, as an adult and as a teen? Thank you

Not a person of color but grew up in Huntington. Can't think of a single time where color was an issue with anyone

Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 PM

84 posts, read 77,369 times
I'm willing to bet most of the people who are commenting on this post about color not being a problem are white.

Ive been to the eastern panhandle about a dozen times or so. I can tell you outside of a few times, my color (black) is an elephant in the room. I get head nods, strange looks and fingers pointed at me ALL THE TIME. Ive even had white people tell me flat out "Its getting dark you should probably be heading home now. Whatever you do, do not break down"

Stop lying to these people. Color is an issue in WVA.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:20 AM

37 posts, read 31,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwitty View Post
I'm willing to bet most of the people who are commenting on this post about color not being a problem are white.

Ive been to the eastern panhandle about a dozen times or so. I can tell you outside of a few times, my color (black) is an elephant in the room. I get head nods, strange looks and fingers pointed at me ALL THE TIME. Ive even had white people tell me flat out "Its getting dark you should probably be heading home now. Whatever you do, do not break down"

Stop lying to these people. Color is an issue in WVA.
Glad you've "been to the eastern panhandle a dozen times" but my wife (who's not white) and I own a house here in the Eastern Panhandle and have not experienced anything negative at all. Our neighborhood has many non white households and people never give us a second look when we're out in town. Can't speak for the rest of WV, but the eastern panhandle is very friendly and welcoming and is pretty much an extension of the D.C. suburbs.

The only negative experiences we've ever had was actually when we were living in Fairfax and Loudoun County in Virginia. So glad we we're able to leave NoVa behind.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
Glad you've "been to the eastern panhandle a dozen times" but my wife (who's not white) and I own a house here in the Eastern Panhandle and have not experienced anything negative at all. Our neighborhood has many non white households and people never give us a second look when we're out in town. Can't speak for the rest of WV, but the eastern panhandle is very friendly and welcoming and is pretty much an extension of the D.C. suburbs.

The only negative experiences we've ever had was actually when we were living in Fairfax and Loudoun County in Virginia. So glad we we're able to leave NoVa behind.
So you and your wife had more issues in a melting pot such as NOVA than in a state thats 96% white?? Riiiight lol

Anyways, you are confirming my point, most people who dont see an issue with race in WV are probably white. Im not sure about your wife and what issues she's run into. She may be oblivious to racial issues, she may pass for a white woman. Who knows. But the fact that im pretty sure you are white tells me what I need to know.

Of course there are some places out EP that are better than others
(Martinsburg, Shepardsville), but there are some places that arent friendly to others. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT.

i'll go by my experience of a white woman telling to "get on the road its getting dark out" over what you say on here any day of the week. If a white person is telling you its not safe around here, what else do i need?

Old 01-07-2018, 12:08 PM

I guess the folks on this video(shot in the eastern panhandle) arent racist either.

https://youtu.be/ODaxZSz3Awg

Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 PM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
who are you to tell others their experiences in life. iv'e lived in Chicago,Dallas,Columbus and Denver and saw much more hatred and racism from all the races in all these cities than in West Virginia. most people here grow up together and yes there are racist here as there are everywhere. Dallas and Chicago were the worst where everyone hated everyone else of a different race. I never understood it. I live in a small town in West Virginia and hang out on a regular basic with all races and sexual orientations. I have all in my family and there has never been a problem. I have seen it but never in the scale I have in the city. most people of different races, nationalities and sexual orientations live in their own neighborhoods and stay segregated. here everyone just lives together. yes it is mostly a white state but for the most part everyone lives together and everything is fine. You sound like you prejudge on stereotypes and don't even try to look for friends. if you stare at someone in Texas they ask you what you are looking at in West Virginia they reach there hand out and say hi. if someone mad racial comments to you i'm sorry but you seem paranoid and over reactive to everything. racism works both ways. I started at a school in Chicago and I was the minority and I never had one good day of never being harassed because I was white. the only thing that made the semester bearable was my sister making friends with the toughest girl in school. I made friends the best I could but iv'e never seen that happen in West Virginia because you grow up in smaller schools where you make friends with everyone because your choices are limited. Why your surprised they had more problems in northern Virginia is shocking. it is one of the racist uppity areas iv'e ever been in. the whole east coast in the cities is that way. i'm sorry if you've had bad experiences in West Virginia but they're not mine and yes i'm white but I have many family members that aren't

Old 01-07-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
who are you to tell others their experiences in life. iv'e lived in Chicago,Dallas,Columbus and Denver and saw much more hatred and racism from all the races in all these cities than in West Virginia. most people here grow up together and yes there are racist here as there are everywhere. Dallas and Chicago were the worst where everyone hated everyone else of a different race. I never understood it. I live in a small town in West Virginia and hang out on a regular basic with all races and sexual orientations. I have all in my family and there has never been a problem. I have seen it but never in the scale I have in the city. most people of different races, nationalities and sexual orientations live in their own neighborhoods and stay segregated. here everyone just lives together. yes it is mostly a white state but for the most part everyone lives together and everything is fine. You sound like you prejudge on stereotypes and don't even try to look for friends. if you stare at someone in Texas they ask you what you are looking at in West Virginia they reach there hand out and say hi. if someone mad racial comments to you i'm sorry but you seem paranoid and over reactive to everything. racism works both ways. I started at a school in Chicago and I was the minority and I never had one good day of never being harassed because I was white. the only thing that made the semester bearable was my sister making friends with the toughest girl in school. I made friends the best I could but iv'e never seen that happen in West Virginia because you grow up in smaller schools where you make friends with everyone because your choices are limited. Why your surprised they had more problems in northern Virginia is shocking. it is one of the racist uppity areas iv'e ever been in. the whole east coast in the cities is that way. i'm sorry if you've had bad experiences in West Virginia but they're not mine and yes i'm white but I have many family members that aren't
Your response was full of deflection. This post is about WV, not Chicago, Dallas, Anchorage Alaska....etc if you want to speak about those cities, go to those sub-forums.

I've posted evidence in the form of a video and my experiences. You can not negate that. Race is an issue in WV. Period.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:01 PM

"Color isnt an issue in WV."

These high school kids in the article below didnt get the memo.

W.Va. school administrator apologizes to Perry for 'Trump Perry' sign at football game | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia