Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:39 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Seven killed in West Virginia mine blast - CNN.com

Hope there are others who escaped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 PM

404 posts, read 1,188,252 times
WBOY is reporting 8 killed 18 still missing. I wonder if there is any relation between this explosion and the recent earthquake activity in the state.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Just saw you all on the news and wanted to give my regards to all during this tragedy.
So sorry for the families of the mine workers.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
WBOY is reporting 8 killed 18 still missing. I wonder if there is any relation between this explosion and the recent earthquake activity in the state.
My thoughts exactly, it possibly could have caused a release of methane in the mine.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Earthquakes, in the past, have caused shattered faults in the coal strata and these cracks are filled with mud or sand. When they are mined, they are very dangerous because of the weakening area of the coal seam. At times they can be enormous and cover thousands of feet.

Actually, the lowering of the Barometric Pressure causes a spiked increase in liberated methane.
Storms passing through are the culprit. Methane is odorless and tasteless.

If a roof fall occured, methane would build up in the unsupported higher, open cavity.
Men might have been working in that roof fall pocket and could have ignited the gas, if it were not properly ventilated.

This is 'low coal...under 48" high and impossible to work from a standing view point.
Every job is done from a sitting or laying position.

It will take some time to get the full story:
When State and Federal people come in to take charge, everything goes into slow motion.

Nobody wants the responsibility of anything until the company can be blamed fully.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 AM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Now reporting 25 confirmed dead with 4 still missing. So sad.

25 dead in W. Va. coal mine blast - Life- msnbc.com

Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Now reporting 25 confirmed dead with 4 still missing. So sad.

25 dead in W. Va. coal mine blast - Life- msnbc.com
It is sad, 3 among the dead were family members, the dad had done the day shift and the 3 had the night shift.

My heart goes out to all involved.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 AM

404 posts, read 1,188,252 times
Thank you for that explaination David. I wonder if it's possible for the methane levels to increase so quickly that even with warning, it would be to late to get out of a big mine like that?

Some of the comments on the national news sites are upsetting to me. I had to stop reading them. Some people are just so mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Earthquakes, in the past, have caused shattered faults in the coal strata and these cracks are filled with mud or sand. When they are mined, they are very dangerous because of the weakening area of the coal seam. At times they can be enormous and cover thousands of feet.

Actually, the lowering of the Barometric Pressure causes a spiked increase in liberated methane.
Storms passing through are the culprit. Methane is odorless and tasteless.

If a roof fall occured, methane would build up in the unsupported higher, open cavity.
Men might have been working in that roof fall pocket and could have ignited the gas, if it were not properly ventilated.

This is 'low coal...under 48" high and impossible to work from a standing view point.
Every job is done from a sitting or laying position.

It will take some time to get the full story:
When State and Federal people come in to take charge, everything goes into slow motion.

Nobody wants the responsibility of anything until the company can be blamed fully.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 AM

My brother is in the mines and I was a Mine Foreman for 17 of 21 years.

The mines are filled with inexperienced and incompetent workers...
Poor management practices have made the mine envornment very unsafe.

In the 80's, a purge was effected to get the older experienced miners out of the coal companies.
The rationale was to hire college grads to take their places. DuPont was a leader in this insanity.

A worker in the mines gets his knowledge gradually, through experience. It takes about five years to get a rudimental basic knowledge of the underground working conditions. Much like moving to a foreign country, assimilating and learning a new language...

A vaccume was created in the workforce....older experienced men retired until the mining industry were left with a second rate workforce. Drugs have been a problem...many workers still sneak and smoke in the mines...particularly in the southern fields where they were once considered 'non gassy.

Everytime I visit with my brother, the same topic comes up...Which mine will go up first?

The State Agencys cannot get inspectors because of the horrendously low wage...and that's only the begining. Why would a man want a $60,000 job when he can make double that with less responsibility.

Work in Fear???

You bet...the Foremen (remember the falsified records just last month) and the workers...that the mine will blow on somebody elses shift and not their own...

What got me out of the mines?
The Grace of God...3 layoffs and just to much cocaine, booze and sex on my side of the fence...

Nobody was really interested in competition, safety and the professional mining of coal...

My heart goes out to these families...it really does.
I worked the recovery effort of a huge mine for over 4 years...a dedicated and sacred effort. The very best of my career. My crew brought out the last of the recovered bodies at the Farmington # 9 Mine on Dec. 22, 1978.

These men who work in the mines are truely heros...unsung.
They literally give their lives for that paycheck...and always kicked in the face...

Black Lung denial...Safety denial...pension and health benefits denial...all for the good of Wall Street and the green back dollar..lol

Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 AM

Sharedspirit:

When an explosion occurs, gases fill the area and some are unburnt...Carbon Monoxide...

Death is quick and painless...just like going to sleep.

A belt/ or satchel rescuer is on each person but it is only effectual if a small amount (2%) of carbon monoxide is present. These rescuer-filters get hot from the chemical reaction and will burn your face...

Ventilation is disrupted in an mine explosion too...
It's like a fireball traveling through the mine tunnels seeking air to keep it alive. As it goes through an area, smoke, unburnt gas and carbon monoxide remains.

In the aftermath, ventilation devices are shattered and must be replaced to restore the flow of ventilated breathable air.

The hope of these men..(those who might be alive) is to reach the safety chambers that contain food, water and breathable air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia