Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM

18 posts, read 38,957 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this has been asked. I did search but quit after 14 pages.
I'll try to keep it short:
Hubby and I, and one son, looking at moving back to WV. Hubby from there. Been up North awhile want to come home.
Found some land near Scottown, Ohio which is on the WV/Ohio border.
Questions:
what about land contracts?
vehicle inspections? (don't have here)
how are taxes figured (MO taxes every chicken i hear)
wild and crazy idea of getting some land, putting pre-built cabin on it with outhouse/compost toilet, off grid as much as possible. is this doable with locals?
are there bluegrass and the like festivals? miss my music.
we have camper we thought to stay in few months on said land, till winter, and see where we sit from there.
(we are both from south originally)
we also Homeschool/Unschool.
we are definitely hippy/hillbilly/homesteaders.
Professional EMS/Fire, hope to get back to that someday.

we live in Amish community now, off grid somewhat and all the tools to live it full time.
but again..would like to come home south.

last but not least if this makes any sense: friend here says snakes very bad. any feedback on that?

Thanks, hope I made at least a lick a sense here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 AM

31 posts, read 104,342 times
Default snakes

WV does have alot of snakes,depending on where you live,some parts are worse than others.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 AM

352 posts, read 793,955 times
I can't answer most of your questions but, one thing I'm sure of is you will be able to hear plenty of Blue Grass music...almost everywhere and almost every weekend!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,212,228 times
Questions:
what about land contracts?
Be more specific, please.

vehicle inspections? (don't have here)
Yes

how are taxes figured (MO taxes every chicken i hear)
Personal Income Tax (graduated, 3.5% to 6.5%, I think)
Real Estate (lower rate for owner-occupied, rate varies by county)
Sales Tax (6%, some items exempt)
Personal Property Tax (vehicles, primarily, rate varies by county)

wild and crazy idea of getting some land, putting pre-built cabin on it with outhouse/compost toilet, off grid as much as possible. is this doable with locals?
Depends on how eco-friendly the county health department is, I imagine.

are there bluegrass and the like festivals? miss my music.
Yes

we have camper we thought to stay in few months on said land, till winter, and see where we sit from there.
Should be do-able, depending on zoning, amount of land, etc.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:41 PM

thank you!
well with regard to land contracts, was hoping someone would chime in who'd had one? i know, not specific enough..or perhaps someone who had one to offer?

reading specs on that site someone posted, compost toilet doable with some restrictions of where and depth, etc. couldn't kind read how it applied to RV on your own land?

now on to the light pole question MOM had. anyone know?

snakes, yuk. our dogs take care of any here but haven't seen poisonous one as long as i've been up north (years).
anyone have any direct experience in the southwest side of state?
yes, i know..dumb question, but had to ask.

thanks either way for any replies!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:07 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,855,613 times
I spend a fair amount of time in the woods and I rarely see snakes. Yes, they are out there but they are hardly a determining factor IMO.

Most individuals don't care what you do on your property as long as it doesn't intrude onto theirs. You will hardly be the only trailer dwellers in the area.

One of the most famous residents of the state lives (lived) in a mobile trailer for a good while. As noted, there are bluegrass festivals all over all summer. There was one last weekend at North Bend state park.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:45 PM

OH! This is good to hear! festivals, music, live as you want with respect to others. WV sounding better all the time!!
ok, dogs and guineas can deal with any snakes. i once saw my chickens with a huge rat in their mouth, i mean this thing was the size of a small tonka truck toy!
Thank you again for your replies. It helped alot.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:40 AM

37 posts, read 103,494 times
The State legislature is working a law to get the Health Dept. to regulate septics.
I had Real Estate customers coming to WV to do the same thing as you. But they wanted free gas to power some things,were doing a greenhouse and used salvaged building materials,recycling.They bought in Ritchie County, names were Keith and Kim Finger You might be able to reach them through tax records,get their address and pick their brains.SMART people. I gave them all my old MOTHER EARTH NEWS magazines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia