Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times

Advertisements

The Keith Albee Theater in Huntington just received a $25,000 donation from City National Bank with a $25,000 matching state grant as well to replace the roof. Other money for the interior renovations is already lined up and once the roof is redone, should start full speed ahead. It's great to see such a great theater being restored for future generations. For those of you who have never seen the inside of the Keith, here's a picture as well.

Keith gets funds for roof repairs - The Herald Dispatch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 AM

352 posts, read 796,494 times
Just Beautiful! Am so appreciative of people who value the arts and see the importance of protecting the theaters for generations to come. Thank you TBailey for the pic!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:05 PM

No problem. I love old buildings in general and think that theaters often have some of the neatest architecture. It's so sad to see how many of the old theaters have been partitioned off or even torn down. Luckily for the citizens of Huntington, when they made 2 smaller auditoriums off of the main auditorium of the Keith Albee, they did it so that they could be taken down without damaging the intricate plaster work and this was done a few years ago. I try to take any chance I can to attend events there and can't wait to see the Keith fully restored. It is actually one of the few atmospheric theaters left in the US. Its sister theater in NY was sadly torn down several years ago.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,243,831 times
When I was a kid my class was taken here, for whatever reason, to see "Lawrence of Arabia". And I remember seeing the Beatle's "Help!" here, as well as some double features with things like "Curse of the Mummy", some of the old Hammer films. Nice to see they've saved it, outside and in. Philadelphia managed to save a total number of (0), that's "zero", of its grand theatres.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:53 AM

63 posts, read 223,907 times
I'm glad to hear this! The Keith-Albee is simply beautiful! You can rent the building out now for events, and if I ever get around to getting married, I want the ceremony here.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:53 AM

Here's an editorial with a little bit of info from today's Herald-Dispatch here in Huntington. It mentions that when built, the Keith was the second largest theater in the US. I had never heard that fact before. Pretty neat.

Thumbs up: Complete revival of Keith-Albee is long-term effort - The Herald Dispatch

Old 05-15-2010, 10:51 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
Those old theaters are gorgeous. The Keith is a classic, and it
is wonderful to see it being restored. They are doing the same
thing at the Capitol Theater in Wheeling and the Metropolitan
in Morgantown. My understanding is they did it with a theater
in Uniontown too, but I haven't personally seen it. It's great
that folks finally have the foresight to protect these links to
our past. The Keith Albee will provide Huntington residents with
a valuable cultural resource for generations to come. Hats off
to those who saved it!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:29 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,832,721 times
woot woot! It's great to see Huntington keeps some of its great architecture. I used to just go drive around Huntington and take pics of buildings or architectural features that I liked. Huntington always had so much more to work with, aesthetically, than Charleston did. Charleston should never have allowed the Kearse theater to be torn down.

(sorry I moved back applies to my native state, not WV, lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia