Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,962 times

Advertisements

My kids and I will be moving shortly to rural Morgan County, to my husband's home The boys and I have always lived in an area where internet connection is a given. My husband not only doesn't have internet, he doesn't have a computer so this is all unexplored territory.

Our options are WildBlue through Direct TV (or another satellite provider), dial-up, or a modem through the his cell phone company . None of the DSL providers are even close to coming out to the hinterlands yet.

I am leaning towards the cell phone-modem thingie (surprisingly, he gets excellent cell phone reception at his house), but it's got a 5 GB max for one month and I question whether we'll hit overage constantly. Still, it seems like a faster option than satellite.

I would appreciate anyone's 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 05:05 PM

229 posts, read 879,208 times
My husband and I have serveral friends along the Morgan County ( Berkeley Springs ) and Frederick County, VA ( Winchester ) boarder. Wild Blue? Maybe they have since changed but as of early 2008 they had no interest in Morgan County as they actually had turned down many of our friends for service. In early 2009 one of our friends had this idea of getting internet through Prettyman Broadcasting ( Martinsburg's WLTF-FM 97.5 "Lite FM" ) since the WLTF tower is just to the east of Berkeley Springs and they had provided some net service to a few in Morgan County in the past but alas Prettyman Broadcasting is having severe money woes right now, so bad that WLTF/WEPM/Oldies 95.9 is about to file bankruptcy even though they are Martinsburg/Berkeley County's main radio stations. Anyway our friends ended up with good old fashioned dial-up AOL.

I wish I could be of more help to you.

Last edited by cathy J.; 05-26-2010 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
We have a place in Paw Paw and I know that frontier offers it. I am not sure of the dsl (I know they have it but not sure if it is available there) but they do have the dial up....slow internet is better than none.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 AM

84 posts, read 202,086 times
Visual link out of Winchester, VA has 2 broadband wireless towers out on Capon Mt. They offer service in Morgan Co. Here is a link to the coverage map Wireless Internet Coverage Maps just hit play or next to view the different coverage maps. Prices are better than satellite and speeds are 100X faster than satellite. My buddy that lives out west of Winchester uses it and it works great. Back in the day I used visual link for dial up and their support was good and rarely any down time.

Visual Link Wireless:
Name: Sales DSL and Residental
Title: Sale DSL and Wireless
E-Mail: info@visuallink.com
Name: West Virginia Broadband
Title: WV Internet sales
E-Mail: office@visuallink.com

Good luck, I know it will stink if you have to go back to dial up. You may have a riot on your hands with the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia