U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,719 times

Advertisements

I have heard parts of Pelham are zoned for Mt. Vernon schools. Any truth to this? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:57 PM

258 posts, read 866,702 times
When I search for homes online, I always use Moderator cut: Non-MLS sources via DM, please because you can search by school district. Many Westchester PO's are different than the schools they are zoned for.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-14-2010 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Please send a DM if it's not a regular MLS source.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,644,150 times
No parts of Pelham are in the Mount Vernon school district. The school district and municipal boundaries are coterminus, covering Pelham and Pelham Manor.

Part of 10803 is in New Rochelle, but it's a small area near Pelham Manor, but the P.O. does not straddle Mount Vernon.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-15-2010, 08:13 AM

137 posts, read 195,164 times
No there is no truth to that at all.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,719 times
Thank you all for your responses.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 AM

10,762 posts, read 17,383,245 times
The reality is two things that probably lead to that incorrect assumption:

1) Many African-Americans from Mt. Vernon who have become successful in their careers have moved to neighboring Pelham, despite a past reputation along with Bronxville at even being prejudiced toward "white ethnics" (i.e. Jews, Italians, etc.). In the 2000 Census Pelham had the highest African American percentage of any Westchester town under 20,000 in population (about 10 or 11%) except for Tuckahoe. Some "bigots" mistakenly believe that the recently increased AA percentage in some Pelham schools means people from Mt. Vernon are somehow faking addresses, etc. to put their kids in Pelham schools and probably also mistakenly believe that these sections of Pelham are zoned to Mt. Vernon.

2) There actually are some people in Mt. Vernon (both white and black and every other creed) who do try to "sneak" their kids into Pelham schools (and ironically many people in the Bronx who try to do that as well as get their kids into the "relatively better" Mt. Vernon schools).

In most parts of Westchester, the town and school district are as one, the two major exceptions I know of are the eastern part of Dobbs Ferry is zoned to Ardsley schools and I believe the northeastern section of Elmsford to Pocantico Hills schools.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 AM

258 posts, read 866,702 times
In most parts of Westchester, the town and school district are as one, the two major exceptions I know of are the eastern part of Dobbs Ferry is zoned to Ardsley schools and I believe the northeastern section of Elmsford to Pocantico Hills schools.[/quote]

Actually it happens more often than you think. My brother is Brewster PO and is zoned for North Salem schools. We bid on a house that was Hartsdale PO but Ardsley schools. I saw several houses that were Tuckahoe or Scarsdale PO and were Eastchester schools because those towns are in Eastchester.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:22 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,644,150 times
And in Lower Westchester, there's the prime example of Bronxville, where there are areas in the P.O. in Yonkers and Eastchester or Tuckahoe districts.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-23-2010, 02:11 PM

32 posts, read 116,202 times
To answer your question, highly unlikely. But to verify this or for any house, contact the school district you've been told the house is zoned for and verify with them. They will tell you if you're part of that school district and also which schools specifically (especially when there is more than one elementary, middle or high school).

Old 06-25-2010, 08:13 AM

10,762 posts, read 17,383,245 times
I was going by the town boundaries in my statement, not the zip codes boundaries, which in Westchester are often very very different (i.e. the part of Yonkers that is in the Bronxville zip code).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County