U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,879 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Our family may be moving to NY from Santa Barbara, CA. It is pretty laid back here. We have a large dog and a 3rd grade daughter adopted from China. I'm used to a 5-10 minute commute so this will definitely be a change.

I'm hoping some people here can help give us some advice on where to start looking... Here are the particulars:

Budget: $3000-$5000/month
Prefer single family home (3br/2ba)
Need a yard due to our large 100+ lb dog.
Prefer a school with a decent Asian population
As short of a commute as possible to Grand Central Train Station (office is right by train station).

In researching this board, we seem to be leaning towards Scarsdale, Edgement, Ardsley and Irvington. These seem pretty far away though and was just wondering if there was anything suitable. Bronxville was closer but seemed to lack the Asian population.

Any where else to look into? Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 AM

375 posts, read 1,452,908 times
By local standards, 30 to 40 minute commute is very preferable, which is what you are going to get from those towns. The only way you are going to get a 10 minute commute to midtown is if you lived in midtown. You have the right towns for Asian population. I would also add Eastchester and Hastings. 10% or more will be relatively large for Asians.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:28 AM

1,488 posts, read 4,104,737 times
Hmm, seems like a lot of people from CA are moving to NY right now. Welcome to the club!

FYI, Ardsley doesn't have an MTA stop - you have to use Dobbs Ferry, which from what I've heard is a bear to get to in rush hour. Have you looked in Dobbs? We looked there to buy and liked it, but the RE taxes were so high that we ultimately decided that for the same money, we could pay $150K more for a house in a more sought after area and STILL break even (Dobbs politicians take note...$24K a year for a $750K house on a tiny lot? Seriously?!) It might not affect you if you rent, though.

We looked in the River Towns because we also thought we wanted a laid back area, coming from the LA Coast but I actually felt it was more Berkeley laid back than Santa Barbara laid back. Something to consider.

Anyway, Rye seems to have a decent Asian population (10%+ in the schools) and is a bit further out there but I will tell you, coming from CA, nowhere but the areas with bad schools are you going to find a 'decent' amount of minorities, per se. Maybe Harrison?

At any rate, although you may want her growing up with more diversity you should not be particularly concerned that she will not be accepted. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2010, 10:43 AM

835 posts, read 2,214,076 times
In particular, the Edgewood section of Scarsdale seems to have a large number of Asian families. Many of the houses in this part of the village are on tiny lots though. Having said that, your budget for a rental in any of the towns you mentioned is not all that big, so you might have to make some trade-offs in your search.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,879 times
Thank you all. Definitely some more sections to look at.
LightningMcQueen: We'll definitely start looking at Eastchester & Hastings.
jjinla: Thanks for the info about Ardsley not having MTA stop. Appreciate the insight into "laid back" watertowns as well. Diversity is important but I think just being near NY will introduce us to a lot more diversity than we are used to here.
streetsmart: We could probably stretch our budget to $6-$7k but the plan was to rent for a year before buying. I just hate the thought of paying rent and not building equity.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:51 PM

124 posts, read 652,108 times
Idealdirect, for Ardsley, you can park at Scarsdale train station. It'll cost a little bit more but only 5-10 minutes drive plus 30 minutes to NYC.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Who can park at Scarsdale? I was told that even the residents of Scarsdale can't get permits there right now. And Rye has a 6-7 year wait list. Do you mean private garages?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM

835 posts, read 2,214,076 times
I'm pretty sure Scarsdale doesn't have a parking problem. We moved here last June, walked into the village hall and got a permit right there and then. They built a new garage a few years ago so there don't seem to be anymore parking permit shortages. However, I have no idea what the situation is like for non-residents.

We also considered Rye and there IS a 6-7 year wait there.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM

I was told that many in Rye park at Harrison's station. Where we were looking, Harrison was actually closer anyway.

A shame, because when we were staying in Rye looking at housing and I drove my husband to the station every morning for work, half of the spaces were completely empty!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:34 AM

701 posts, read 3,107,526 times
International Asian adoption is very common in most Westchester towns. Our daughter was adopted from Vietnam. In most Westchester towns, you will find a good-sized Asian population, as well as a number of interracial-adoption families.

A truly large yard, on a budget, will be harder to find in Southern Westchester, but your commute will be shorter. You will more easily find the large yard in central/Northern Westchester, though your commute will be longer. Though remember to factor into the commute -- the proximity to the train station.
For example, Katonah may be a 60 minute train ride, and Mamaroneck may be a 40 minute train ride... But if the choice is living 2 minutes away from the Katonah train station, or 10 minutes from the Mamaroneck train station, it starts to get a whole lot more comparable.

The towns you mentioned are all nice, and have good-sized Asians population. Bronxville has a history of exclusion. Though that has changed somewhat, it remains perhaps the least diverse part of Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County