Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

Katonah is a great place, and not much further than Mount Kisco -- literally only a few minutes. I would also consider parts of Bedford, too, especially Bedford Hills, nearer the train station as it's between Mount Kisco and Katonah, geographically. You would still have the benefit of Mount Kisco, and might have more housing options to consider all three. It's about an hour to GCT on the train from Katonah.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 AM

36 posts, read 84,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruus10580 View Post
katonah is another town that has been suggested by some folks. however, i have to imagine that commute could get old, quick
First of all, I'm only too glad to help. I'd love to know your secret as an actor; I wish I could afford a house.

Katonah wouldn't take much longer than the commute from Croton. Also, since it's Harlem Line, you can get to White Plains. One thing about living in Croton is that you will have to drive to any kind of real shopping; you have your supermarkets, CVS, post office, etc, but any department stores in the area are in Yorktown Heights, Route 6 in Mohegan Lake and Kisco, The Jefferson Valley Mall or down to White Plains. Same with Katonah.

I grew up in Ardsley. I once had a kid from Rye tell me, when I said I was from there, "I never heard of it." LOL. It's a great town but there isn't much happening there. We used to joke in high school that the name should be changed to "Three Pizzerias, Two Dry Cleaners And Carvel". One advantage is that it's close to Central Avenue so you can get to shopping in about 5 minutes. Also, at one time, the school district was outstanding. I'm long past the education loop so I don't know the current situation. I believe the Croton schools are decent.

At one point there was a train stop in Ardsley:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...utnam_Railroad

Service stopped in 1958.

Last edited by JimLovesNC; 06-29-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM

701 posts, read 3,324,584 times
The train commute is much longer from Katonah compared to Croton. Croton has a surprisingly short train commute, due to an ample number of express trains. The express trains from Croton are 42-47 minutes (compared to 65+ for non-express trains). The Katonah trains are 60-70 minutes... So you are looking at another 20 minutes each way with Katonah. And that assumes you can get parking at the Katonah station. Many people in the area actually use Goldens Bridge, adding yet another 5 minutes to the train ride.

Croton schools are very good. But your point about shopping is valid. Croton is a bit isolated. It has a bit of a village of its own, a few restaurants and shops. A couple of medium-sized supermarkets. But for any significant shopping, movies, etc, you need to drive at least 10-15 minutes, on less than super highways. The Taconic is the only major highway really going through Croton, mostly you are stuck with Rte 9A.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 AM

14 posts, read 60,054 times
If you're not commuting during rush hour, be sure to check the off-peak train frequency and when the LAST train is for the night. Living on a local stop off-peak is no fun. It can be an hour between trains.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM

36 posts, read 84,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
The train commute is much longer from Katonah compared to Croton. Croton has a surprisingly short train commute, due to an ample number of express trains. The express trains from Croton are 42-47 minutes (compared to 65+ for non-express trains). The Katonah trains are 60-70 minutes... So you are looking at another 20 minutes each way with Katonah. And that assumes you can get parking at the Katonah station. Many people in the area actually use Goldens Bridge, adding yet another 5 minutes to the train ride.

Croton schools are very good. But your point about shopping is valid. Croton is a bit isolated. It has a bit of a village of its own, a few restaurants and shops. A couple of medium-sized supermarkets. But for any significant shopping, movies, etc, you need to drive at least 10-15 minutes, on less than super highways. The Taconic is the only major highway really going through Croton, mostly you are stuck with Rte 9A.
You are correct; I had not thought of the express factor. What I meant was that the distance from GCT is about the same. Express trains are very fast from Croton, especially in the morning when there are some which only go Croton, Ossining and then straight into GCT. They can get crowded, however, especially if they emanated from somewhere other than the Croton yard. Sometimes it's SRO.

I also want to mention that Croton is a major stop; it's where the trains are repaired as well as being an Amtrak station. Trains of both the commuter and other variety arrive and leave at a fairly constant rate unlike some of the smaller stops. There are always cabs there too, even if you get home late at night. The #14 Beeline Bus stops right at the top of the station entrance so if you ever need that during the day, it's there for you.

Avoid the local at all costs; it takes about an hour and ten minutes.

9A is a pain, especially during the morning rush. It goes right through Croton. The Taconic is more on the back end, towards Yorktown off of Rt. 129.

And let's not forget that there is now a Hudson Line stop at Yankee Stadium.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
On the true "express" trains from Croton, Croton is the last stop before Manhattan (or the first stop on the way home). In the morning, these are often very crowded, but I've personally never seen one with no seats available (except on St Patricks' Day). There are other semi-express trains that start at Croton and then make 2 to 4 stops before Manhattan.

The Taconic runs roughly through the center of Yorktown, about 10 minutes from Croton, taking Rt. 129.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,261 times
I wouldn't want to buy in hastings, I judge where I live based on the village, the shops and what not. everything closes too early in hastings. try grabbing a bit to eat after 9 at night. I personly like most of the town off the blue line. like Tuckaheo, its has a good village, stores are open into the evening more. which if you commute I'd think you'd like to be able to grab a bite when you get off the train.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM

38 posts, read 125,486 times
Briarcliff Manor, great schools, good commute to NYC... nice community
also Croton on Hudson or Cortlandt Manor.
Katonah...

Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 30,155 times
man, this forum is absurdly helpful. thanks to all. we are looking into briarcliff, hastings, old greenwich, mt kisco, mamaroneck (awful taxes, great town), and a little bit of irvington.

decent list, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County