U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 46,109 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from Needham, MA. We found a house in Armonk in the Windmill Farms section of town. Can someone please give us an "insiders" point of view regarding the town? I have looked at all the online information and the previous threads, but I am trying to find out what it is really like to live in Armonk? Is it a "clique" town? Since it's small in numbers, is it hard to assimilate into the community? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 09:01 PM

124 posts, read 671,471 times
Having renting in Armonk for a while, we decided to buy a house elsewhere as this is not our town, even if the tax is better and my son is already in the school system. It is true that it's very clique. Although my son did well in Coman Hill and the town is very clean and well maintained, I feel very isolated and it does not have a community feel at all, even in area like Windmill Farm (which is obviously better). It's also not convenient to anywhere. People go to Mount Kisco or White Plain to shop, and both are 20 minutes one way. Town pharmacy and grocery store price triple normal prices. My son's daycare friend's mom who was also looking to buy said "tax is good, but not worth it to live there". I found people living here are mostly working from home and don't need to commute to NYC because the daily commute really sucks. The town does not have good after school care but it depends on your need. Lots of landlords here and we know one of those jerks. My friend who bought here a few years ago moved to southern W. county because of the isolation feel and long commute.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 AM

9 posts, read 64,179 times
I've lived here for about a year and know Windmill very well. Its lovely and the lake is lovely, and they hold lots of activities there during the summer. Armonk could be considered clique-y but I think thats true of any affluent town. I have certainly met some great people this past year. You just have to find your own niche. There is a wonderful pre-school association where you can sign up for playgroups to meet other parents in town. If you have any specific quesitons I'd be happy to answer them.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 19,534 times
VERY clique-y!!!!GREAT SCHOOL BUT IF YOU ARE NOT JEWISH DRIVING MERCEDES GL OR RANGE ROVER OR YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THOSE SKINNY LADIES FROM THE "GYM" YOU ARE NOT WELCOME.THOSE LADIES THINK THEY ARE BETTER THEN REST OF THE WORLD.CHILDREN BECOME SAME LIKE THEIR MOM'S.
AND YOU BETTER BE PART OF PTSA OR BHSA CAUSE THEN YOU WILL NEVER BE THE "POOPULAR" MOM AND YOUR CHILD WILL CRY FOR PLAYDATES.
I LIVE HERE 6 YEARS AND YES LIVING IN ARMONK IS NOT WORTH YOUR STRESS OF TRYING TO BE NICE TO PEOPLE WHO THINK YOU ARE INVISIBLE.THERE ARE OTHER AREAS WITH NICE HOUSES AND GREAT SCHOOLS WHERE KIDS ARE GOING TO IVY COLLAGES... SO GO FOR IT!!!IT IS NOT TO LATE...

Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 PM

124 posts, read 671,471 times
So agree with Ivana.....no exaggerating at all! People from Ma....u r too nice to fit in that town. Westchester is tough already, let alone armonk.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 AM

1,496 posts, read 4,236,914 times
I find it so funny when people insist on living in the toniest areas of town, and then complain about all of the snobs.

Even though we can afford to, we have already ruled out Scarsdale as a place to buy. You can absolutely tell the difference between that area and the surrounding ones.

To the OP, have you considered Pleasantville? I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could get my husband to sit on a train longer.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:03 AM

395 posts, read 1,543,821 times
I really have to 2nd Pleasantville (jj every time I ready your posts, I think to myself that you would LOVE it there!! It's really not THAT much farther on the train and the lot is small so you have no walking time from car to train like in some of the huge lots).

The only issue w/P-ville is available housing inventory, especially in the village which is where you want to be unless driving to and from school is not an issue for you, since there are no school buses.

We ended up buying in Chappaqua and I think the saving grace has been that it's a big enough area with plenty of "moderate" homes (for Westchester, at least) and working families to offset the other end of the wealth spectrum. If you go into any of the Chap nail salons on a weekday, you'll see a lot more moms in tennis outfits and such than in Pleasantville, but we are on the more "moderate" side of town and feel totally comfortable and at home with our neighbors and the parents of my daughter's classmates. This may change once the kids are all combined in middle and high school, but we are really enjoying it here now and by then we will have longtime friends and I'm not too worried about having to deal with more of the "upper echelon" folks.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 19,321 times
You could not be more right. You have nothing but Plastic Surgery, Tennis Playing, Gym Rat SNOBS and SO ARE MOST KIDS (STARTING FROM PRE-K AND UP GETTING WORSE AS THEY GET OLDER). Please I am not begrudging anyone for having a nice lifestyle. But when parents are snobs and appearance is #1 only it has and is seen at the Coman Hill age level the kids are the same way. NOT LIVING IN THE REAL WORLD HERE. Most of the Mother's are the sad typical, husband always working (MOST WON'T ADMIT THEY ARE CHEATING ON THEM SOME WITH THEIR OWN FRIENDS) I laugh at them here they are so snobby and in the clique-y circle and their husband is doing their friends. Meanwhile, not all the men are like that. While they work hard and the wives go to the GYM, have lunch, lippo, boob jobs, eat lunch and vomit, while their children are being raised by the nanny they are screwing the Tennis Pro, Plastic Surgeon or Personal (Very Personal)Trainers. Heard to many of these stories. So Yes it's not a great place to live because of the cliques with both parents and children, but if you reasearch the schools, they are great in many ways, however, the Byram Hills School District falls short on the NYS Reading and Writing Tests.. Look it up you can see for yourself. there is a quote: "Beauty Fades and DUMB and Ignorant are FOREVER." That sums up Armonk 90% of the woman.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,290,104 times
I've never lived in Armonk, but as someone who works there, it seems like a very wealthy area where men work very long hours in stressful, competitive jobs so that their wives can stay at home and go shopping, play tennis, go to the gym, attend fundraisers, etc while a nanny looks after their children, a housekeeper keeps the house tidy and a gardener takes care of the yard. Drive over to the Moderne Barn restaurant (the site of a former furniture store) and pay $14 for a burger platter with gruyere (spelling?) cheese. The town is very clean and safe, but also very small with limited choices for dining and shopping. It does have an isolated feel to it, as it is really not very close to neighboring towns. I overheard a conversation from a customer recently who didn't understand why her son chose to live in isolation in the woods of Armonk, when he could have chosen to live in Greenwich, which has so much more to offer.

I also heard a member of the North Castle police department which serves Armonk telling some friends about a woman living in Armonk who left her husband to run off with her 21 year old tennis instructor. The police officer joked that she wondered if there were any more 21 year old tennis instructors left in Armonk, given the type of women who live there.

Driving into work the other day, I saw a brand new Audi A4 sedan drive past me at an intersection. On the windows was written "Seniors 2011" (may have been written as "Senyahs" or "Senyuhs") in white lettering. We couldn't expect a high school senior in Armonk to drive something like a Nissan Sentra, could we?

Last edited by manyroads; 10-21-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 AM

11 posts, read 49,984 times
Is it true that Armonk has a lot of Mafia guys ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County