U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM

40 posts, read 135,520 times

Advertisements

This is probably a really dumb question so I apologize in advance.

Excluding Yonkers (with an income tax), how are all of the various Westchester county taxes applied? I know RE tax is a huge one, and that is based on property value. But I see mention of City/County Tax, Gas Tax, Sewer Tax, etc. - how are these applied? Does the City/County just send you a tax bill? Annually? Monthly? How does it work?

Also, are these additional taxes just flat or consumption based, or are they based somehow on income (so, progressive in nature)?

I'm trying to get a handle on a true financial comparison of renting in the city versus owning a home in Westchester, or frankly even renting in Westchester. I've always assumed that walking away from the 3.65% NYC income tax would be a GREAT thing, but I'm wondering if we're literally just going to transfer that $$ to other sources- or worse, INCREASE our burden somehow.

Any explanation would be helpful- thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM

506 posts, read 1,265,713 times
Well, your property tax is applied depending on the value of your property. I'm not sure what municipality you're referring to, but assuming you've bought property before, your annual taxes should be right in the real estate listing. City, county, and school taxes are included in that number, and are usually billed twice yearly. If you have a mortgage, you can have the mortgage provider pay it for you out of your monthly payment. They put the payments into an escrow account as you pay the monthly bill and then pay the tax bill when it comes due.

I don't pay a gas tax, or a sewer tax, but I have a water bill, and it's all of $150 ish per year.

Your RE broker should have given you this information. My wife is a broker if you need one so if you send me your contact info I can forward it to her if you like. If not, no problem.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Hi, thank you for the reply! So does that mean that the city/county/school, etc. taxes are essentially pegged to the value of your property (and therefore progressive in nature)? Or are they flat taxes? In other words, if you buy something for $500k and something for $1mm, and strip out the actual RE taxes, are all of the other taxes that show up on that RE tax bill going to be the same for those 2 properties, or will one be double the other one? Thank you!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 PM

122 posts, read 354,452 times
All your county and local taxes are based upon the assessed value of the home you purchase. They actually have nothing to do with the actual cost of the home. All the various county, real estate, garbage fees, taxes and charges are billed through your local town or city yearly. School taxes are collected in two installments. I think most towns collect in Sept and again in January.

Westchester county does not have an income tax.. only the city of Yonkers has an tax on income for residents and for non residents earning income in Yonkers.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the clarification!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 AM

701 posts, read 3,191,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U510545 View Post
Hi, thank you for the reply! So does that mean that the city/county/school, etc. taxes are essentially pegged to the value of your property (and therefore progressive in nature)? Or are they flat taxes? In other words, if you buy something for $500k and something for $1mm, and strip out the actual RE taxes, are all of the other taxes that show up on that RE tax bill going to be the same for those 2 properties, or will one be double the other one? Thank you!
It's based on assessed value, which is only indirectly related to actual purchase price. With falling real estate values, many homes are actually assessed above their market values. Which can allow you to challenge the assessment, which may result in lowering your taxes.

Many banks require you to let them pay your taxes, as part of the mortgage. Thus, it is folded into your mortgage payment, the bank puts the tax portion in escrow, and pays it at the appropriate time.

Typically, there are not separate taxes for other county/village/school services. When you see listed property taxes, it should include the county, town/village and school taxes. You pay separate utility bills (including water), but you do not pay separate tax bills for things like garbage removal, sewers, etc. (Of course, some towns don't provide those services, so then you have to privately make arrangements. For example, many homes are not on sewer lines, in which case you need to privately maintain a septic tank).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County