U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 02:42 PM

66 posts, read 133,315 times

Advertisements

We could use some help We are going to move from Lower West. to either Mahopac, Yorktown, Brewster (and anywhere else along those lines!) and could use some insight. Heard some Lakeland schools not so hot (would like to consider Cortlandt).

We'd love an area that has a community pool but don't want to move into a townhouse community, as family members who did had BAD experiences. If not a community pool can anyone recommend a club that doesn't want $20,000 just to say "can I join"?

We are planning on buying a house within a year and wish to settle in a family friendly, not over the top price $, good school community now, before September rolls around. We're going to rent for now, but wherever we go this summer is where we stay!

Thanks to anyone who can give us info on these (or any other) areas. Tired of living among the rich, and we are NOT rich. It's really hard and kids can be very mean to those who don't have it all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,027 times
Dear MCGMOM,

It was good to read your posting. I think that the Mahopac area will meet many of your needs/wishes.

If you are looking for a particular religious community in this area, I would be happy to introduce you to some of the local churches/synagogue.

best wishes,
-Eytan

Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,435 times
No community pools in Mahopac. But Mahopac does have older, former vacation communities built around lake beaches. Read: Secor, Kirk, etc. Yorktown has some decent pools.

Lakeland-Panas schools were always known as the areas Ghetto schools. Mahopac schools and Yorktown always had a good rep.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM

32 posts, read 116,952 times
Panas has come a long way. Look at their recent seniors' college acceptances- Harvard, Yale, Cornell. The list goes on. And you can review their state testing scores. Just as good as Lakeland, Yorktown, and Hen Hud. Even better in some instances.

If you look in Cortlandt, Cortlandt Colony and Mohegan Colony have community pools (for the residents of their respective HOAs).

If you are interested in houses on the market in these particular neighborhoods, please send me a private message.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM

6,163 posts, read 7,096,232 times
Taxes, taxes, taxes!
Yorktown is very bad, with excessive taxes. Most of Westchester is similar. Brewster, being in Putnam, is mellow in comparison.
Another alternative is Fairfield in CT, just a few miles away with relatively good schools. As for public pools, Americans don't like them...

Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 AM

185 posts, read 403,297 times
Hi - Moved here from Rye("best schools") to Yorktown HTS, ("average schools") and could not be happier. I don't want to get on this soapbox again as I have before on these boards, but it truely depends on what you want out of a school in Westchester. Do you want test scores/ivy league? Special needs programs? "Top Rated" schools tell more about the scores than anything else. Yorktown schools are not as updated as lakeland schools are. They recently closed an elementary school due to budget. Mahopac schools now make the parents pay for sports. The Lakeland school district encompasses a large area involving Cortlandt, parts of Putnam Valley, & northern Yorktown. There are 2 high schools involved. Look at the Lakeland area that goes to Lakeland High School. We have a great community here in Shrub Oak specifically, great elementary schools where many teachers live in this community. My taxes are higher, but not so much worse than MANY towns in Westchester, and I get more than I did in lower county by far. We have TWO NEWER CLEAN community pools in this town, no condo needed! Our annual pool pass is around $270 - beat that! After living in Rye, Rye Neck, and Harrison, I may pay the taxes, but at least I see where some of my $$$ is going! Come and look - PM me if you need more info on Shrub Oak. good Luck

Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,998,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
...Yorktown schools are not as updated as lakeland schools are. They recently closed an elementary school due to budget....
All of Yorktown Central schools (the district that covers Yorktown Heights and southern Yorktown) have been updated and renovated over the past 5 years. The closure of the elementary school is due to the declining number of elementary age kids, not for budget reasons (there are no immediate budget savings from the change, which is requiring reconfiguration of two of the other school buildings). The same school was closed for 11 years in the late 80's and then reopened when enrollment soared. (I am opposed to the closure, since it doesn't save any money and is a lot of hassle.) Yorktown Central schools are excellent by any measure and I've been thrilled with the education my child has gotten so far.

Based on the OP's post, I'd agree that Shrub Oak sounds like a good fit(and a much better one than Yorktown Heights). As for taxes, we looked all over the Northern Westchester area, from the Hudson to the CT border, and the taxes in Yorktown on average were no higher than those in surrounding areas. It depends on the specifics of the house and the property--our current taxes are realtively low, compared to many. And, as eileen824 said, Yorktown tax payers get two great pools, a great lake, a wonderful community center, loads of free and cheap programs and classes, and loads of parks and nature preserves.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 AM

185 posts, read 403,297 times
sorry dma1250 - I get a little defensive when I hear the "Yorktown is better" thing. I know the schools are good and have family there (and that is affected by the closure) - Even though we support different school districts, I don't think you can go wrong most anywhere in the whole of Yorktown!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 40,705 times
Another question I would pose is,where do you work? Southern Yorktown is very convenient to trains, and many towns with amenities (such as Chappaqua and Mt Kisco).
As mentioned there are pools and also a lake for town residents.
On taxes, as much as there are generalizations from town to town, taxes may differ widely depending on when the house was appraised. We recently grieved our taxes to the town resulting in a significant reduction (from over $20,000 a year to $14,000). Many home owners are grieving taxes before putting them on the market. Also, should a house sell for less than what it is assessed for, one would be able to make a grievance which would almost certainly be successful.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 PM

66 posts, read 133,315 times
Thanks for the replies. I am soooo confused but realize if we want to buy (which won't be until next year) we need to make sure we make the right move, so we don't have to do it again. Kids hate to move away!

Right now we are primarily looking at Yorktown, Mahopac, Cortlandt, Shrub Oak - along those lines. We would love to rent a small house, but have only seen houses out of horror movies, or ones that were really overpriced based on size. I know that Lakeland HS is favored over Panas. We actually have family with 2 in Panas and they seem happy with it.

Trying to move soon and getting no where fast. If anyone hears of a nice rental for a nice family let me know. We don't want to spend a fortune as we want to be owners someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County