U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 AM

59 posts, read 170,912 times

Advertisements

Good Morning everyone..., I'm planning a Christmas week working vacation of which I'll be taking some members of my family who have never seen snow in their lives !!! I'll be staying mostly around Tarrytown/Nyack. Since I don't have the luxury of going up to the Adirondacks B/C of work, I'd like to know what are the chances of seeing everything covered in snow around the Westchester/Rockland county areas..., maybe even western Conn. Also, I'll be making a trips out to Eastern L.I. & NYC..., Thank you, in advance for any & all responses...,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 02:42 AM

34 posts, read 79,990 times
On Christmas Day itself, or around that time? And how long will you be here?

The reason I ask is because it's really random. I can remember maybe one or two times when we got snow on Christmas.

It's different every year. Some years, we don't get snow before Christmas. Some years, the snow starts in November and it piles on. More than a few years, we've gotten snow anywhere from a couple days to two weeks before Christmas, and instead of "white Christmas" it's dirty gray slush Christmas.

If you're here for a couple of weeks you'll have a much better chance of getting a good snow. If you can come up in January or February, even better. But Christmas is a gamble.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:48 AM

59 posts, read 170,912 times
Thanks, Plan..., we'll be there from Dec. 20th - 28th..., maybe even spending New Years there, depending on business..., but for the most part the 20th thru the 28th...,

Old 07-10-2010, 03:21 AM

34 posts, read 79,990 times
You never know.

I can't find historical data for Westchester at the National Weather Service, but a list of Central Park's December snowfall totals shows:

- 12 inches for Dec. 2009
- 6 for 2008
- 3 for 2007
- 0 for 2006
- 10 for 2005
- 3 for 2004
- 19.8 for 2003

I remember Dec. 2006. It was bizarre. We had temperatures in the 60s and 70s through the whole month and into the first week of January.

IIRC we did have snow on the ground for Christmas last year, but it was old snow from five or six days earlier.

Well, here's to hoping you wake up to snow on the ground and you get to crack out the Bing Crosby records.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:08 AM

76,724 posts, read 61,822,899 times
Ask Nostradamus.

Usually Chances are 40% around that time .... but this year it could be 20% becuase of La Nina Phase we're currently switching into. Tell them to pack lots of coats.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 AM

374 posts, read 972,484 times
we go to nyc every christmas eve. I believe it did not snow this past Christmas. If my memory serves me right it usually rains or is very cold and windy during that time. Maybe once in the last ten years has it snowed. But then again you never. The only thing that is certain is that they will have a better chance in late January then late december :/

Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM

10,371 posts, read 16,615,851 times
Officially the NWS says about 1 in every 3 to 4 Christmases in this area have snow cover.....northern Westchester is closer to the 3 and NYC closer to the 4.

Note that just one hour or so north of here (Dutchess/Orange Counties) have a lot more snow/snow cover than here, so if you don't see snow here then, you may be able to just take a short drive for it. Drive two hours (Albany, Catskills, Hartford/Springfield area) and I almost guarantee you'll see snow somewhere. Long Island you're actually equal to if not a little less likely to see snow than NYC.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 PM

Im going to go for it and predict No snow this Christmas. Based on a Moderate La Nina. We're gonna have a fridgid winter but little snow.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 PM

10,371 posts, read 16,615,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Im going to go for it and predict No snow this Christmas. Based on a Moderate La Nina. We're gonna have a fridgid winter but little snow.
Check out the CT forums, this guy is better than the TV weather people, no I'm not kidding......

Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Check out the CT forums, this guy is better than the TV weather people, no I'm not kidding......
LOL...Thanks 7Wishes...Nice to see you here too. Long term is always tough but maps and models make it easy to call a storm 4 weeks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County