Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 AM

11,240 posts, read 18,711,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murda ville's finest View Post
Across the street from Graham elementary? Yeah Im very familiar with that area,one of my closest friends lived in The Heights and we use to frequent that block. With the exception of one or two incidences,I remember that particular block being rather tamed and quiet. It was nothing like where I lived,4th st and 3rd ave. But to be fair,I havnt lived in Mt.Vernon in over four years and havnt been in The Height since high school,so the area couldve gotten worst,according to friends and family the entire city has gotten worst.
Well, I had to respond to one of your two posts on this issue. I think many parts have gotten worse (including where you lived), but many parts have gotten better (particularly Fleetwood in general and the always very very nice area near Bronxville, but I'm not completely "north side centric", the area around Sandford Blvd. where the stores are (NOT the nearby area Queensgrl mentioned) has too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 11:18 AM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
One of the problems Mount Vernon has is people glorifying its problems with nicknames like 'Murda Ville".

Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM

95 posts, read 249,508 times
Seriously, using the name "Murda-ville" as an example of Mount Vernon's problems?!? I'm sure that's Mount Vernon's real problem...bad publicity. The criminals all over the place have nothing to do with it.

I know people who used to live in Mount Vernon, and other than the Fleetwood section, I've heard that it's really bad, and that ordinary working people fear for their safety. I don't think the poster using the Murda-ville handle has anything to do with it.

Otherwise, using your logic, why don't we just rename Mount Vernon "Happy Town" and maybe all the crime will just go away?

Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 AM

340 posts, read 1,181,754 times
I think everyone exaggerates safety...80% of the southside of mount vernon are decent looking blocks with private homes. there are a few spots where theres a lot of hanging out and buildings but most of the southside is peaceful if ur not with the wrong crowd.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,291,182 times
There is some exaggerating going on about safety. I can remember when I was growing up in the late 80's/90's the southside had a really bad reputation. There used to be all types of things going down on seventh avenue, 5th and 5th etc., gunshots etc. There are still specific blocks where things just aren't that great.

After they had built Target, best buy and Stop and Shop that part of Sanford Blvd did improve. Before the recession (officially lol) started there were plans for more new businesses. I still feel that all the industrial stuff below Sanford is depressing. I've noticed on macquestern that developers are starting to redevelop some of the old industrial buildings as loft housing. I think it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Anyone know why they haven't finished building that building by the Fleetwood station? It seems as if the building was left unfinished for the past two years.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 AM

11,240 posts, read 18,711,826 times
Thank you Jerry and wordlife, I've repped ya.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 PM

326 posts, read 714,335 times
Today I read some interesting info in a New York State Tour Book regarding Mount Vernon. Many years ago a man named Tailor started a Home Association for people who could not afford a home, 1,000 people joined and purchased over 300 acres of farmland in Mount Vernon so they could build their own homes. They voted on the name Monticello, but since it was taken already, they chose to name their land Mount Vernon.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
Yup, many of those first homeowners in Mt. Vernon were Germans leaving the city for greener pastures, many after the General Slocum disaster (the biggest loss of life in NYC until 9/11 and devastating to the German-American community in Manhattan) and quite a few German names crop up in Mt. Vernon and the adjacent area of Yonkers. They were the Italians of their day.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:07 PM

54 posts, read 109,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
One of the problems Mount Vernon has is people glorifying its problems with nicknames like 'Murda Ville".
HA HA....that was funny ABQConvict. I was thinking the same thing. The problem is you have the young black youth trying to be "gangstaz". They admire and look up to rap groups like Dipset who glorify that type of lifestyle.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,070 times
Mt.Vernon (the part i am from) was a whole neighbourhood of Italian americans i mean everyone's last name ended with a vowel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County