Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:27 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times

Advertisements

I would stay below Irvington because you can be in The Bronx in about 20 minutes, driving, and then catch the subway or express bus. There is an open air lot on Broadway at 230th, where I think you can get a monthly parking spot. You could get on the 1 train at 231st, so you don't have to go all the way to Marble Hill, where parking is a bit more difficult. The BxM2 express bus stops at 230th & Broadway, as well, which is another option to the westside, though the subway would be more reasonably priced.

Be wary about parking in the neighborhood, however, because the regulations are enforced with a vengeance along Broadway in Kingsbridge. For example, Staples and Stop & Shop have abundant parking, but I have seen people towed for leaving Staples and running across to Garden Gourmet, because the tow company employs spotters who radio the tow truck in seconds. Similarly, Target, near 225th St., has abundant parking, but I would not chance parking there, since the car would likely be towed away. At the intersection of Broadway, 230th, & Exterior Street, there is a parking garage in the building on the corner where you could park and walk to 231st or 225th stations.

There are garages in Inwood, 216th Street, for example, where you can park near the subway, that might be preferable in inclement weather. You do pay higher rates and taxes, however, taxes for parking a non-Manhattan registered vehicle, once you cross into Manhattan, even though it's only a few blocks.

The other option is Amtrak to Penn, and then the subway uptown, but it's significantly more expensive, and you would have to get on at Croton-Harmon. Since it's in the region served by MNRR, Amtrak does not allow monthly passes on that route, and you would have to book based upon available tickets, which could be $35-$40 one way.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would stay below Irvington because you can be in The Bronx in about 20 minutes, driving, and then catch the subway or express bus. There is an open air lot on Broadway at 230th, where I think you can get a monthly parking spot. You could get on the 1 train at 231st, so you don't have to go all the way to Marble Hill, where parking is a bit more difficult.

The other option is Amtrak to Penn, and then the subway uptown, but it's significantly more expensive, and you would have to get on at Croton-Harmon. Since it's in the region served by MNRR, Amtrak does not allow monthly passes on that route, and you would have to book based upon available tickets, which could be $35-$40 one way.
I forgot about the 231st St. "1 train" station, thanks. I still think you might want to consider the D train, the northernmost portions are not seedy though people think they are and it will be much faster than the 1 train.

If you live below Irvington you could also get Amtrak at the Yonkers downtown station. But I think it's a very expensive proposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County