U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2010, 11:34 PM
 
Location: North shore, Long Island
1,919 posts, read 5,139,394 times
Reputation: 482

Advertisements

Why do residents in Westchester praise their diverse areas, while diverse areas on Long Island get bad reps as ghettos, dangerous, unsafe, infestations? Places like Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Port Chester, White Plains, Peekskill, Tarrytown, Elmsford, Ossining and of course Yonkers would be considered slums, unsafe, even ghettos by Long Island standards. Yet, I've seen threads where many Westchester posters praise these cities and towns, using words such as quaint, walkable downtowns, having great restaurants, lovely big homes, upscale neighborhood. Are people from Westchester blind and crazy or are we Long Islanders the blind ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 AM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,463 posts, read 5,641,261 times
Reputation: 2826
I sense from your post that everything you know about Westchester is from reading posts and what you hear about in LI. If so, I guess that doesn't make you "blind," just uninformed. The problem is that your assertion is far too general and extreme to hold up. You lumped all these towns together and that invalidates your point. You need to take it case by case.

Parts of Yonkers and Mt Vernon are indeed "ghettos, dangerous, unsafe, infestations." Other parts are fine and do have big homes, etc. Portchester does have terrific restaurants, that's a fact. Doesn't mean I'd want to send my kids to school there. I'd be surprised if you could find a single posting characterizing Yonkers, Mt Vernon or New Rochelle as have nice, walkable downtowns. Yet all have neighborhoods indistinguishable from neighboring parts of Bronxville and Scarsdale. For its part, LI does have endless miles of dead strip malls with nothing but vacant store fronts, pawn shops and check cashing places. Far more than anywhere in Westchester, where stuff like that tends to be very condensed.

Regardless, you may be on to something. I've always found it interesting that everybody I know on LI seems to aspire to Westchester, yet I've never encountered the reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
 
Location: North shore, Long Island
1,919 posts, read 5,139,394 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I sense from your post that everything you know about Westchester is from reading posts and what you hear about in LI. If so, I guess that doesn't make you "blind," just uninformed. The problem is that your assertion is far too general and extreme to hold up. You lumped all these towns together and that invalidates your point. You need to take it case by case.

Parts of Yonkers and Mt Vernon are indeed "ghettos, dangerous, unsafe, infestations." Other parts are fine and do have big homes, etc. Portchester does have terrific restaurants, that's a fact. Doesn't mean I'd want to send my kids to school there. I'd be surprised if you could find a single posting characterizing Yonkers, Mt Vernon or New Rochelle as have nice, walkable downtowns. Yet all have neighborhoods indistinguishable from neighboring parts of Bronxville and Scarsdale. For its part, LI does have endless miles of dead strip malls with nothing but vacant store fronts, pawn shops and check cashing places. Far more than anywhere in Westchester, where stuff like that tends to be very condensed.

Regardless, you may be on to something. I've always found it interesting that everybody I know on LI seems to aspire to Westchester, yet I've never encountered the reverse.

True, my only knowledge of Westchester are relative who live in Katonah and New Rochelle, shopping in White Plains and visiting a friend in Dobbs Ferry. On the Long Island forum if an area has a noticeable amount of non-whites, it's considered a bad area to avoid at all cost. The same doesn't seem to be true in the Westchester forum. I'm trying to understand why.

What I've seen of Port Chester, it would have the respect of say Patchogue.. Basically, a haven for degenerates and illegals. Mt. Vernon it would be Hempstead North, a community of black drug addicts and whores. I don't read such comments on the Westchester forums. It's just interesting the different mindset of the same metro region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 AM
 
Location: North shore, Long Island
1,919 posts, read 5,139,394 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I sense from your post that everything you know about Westchester is from reading posts and what you hear about in LI. If so, I guess that doesn't make you "blind," just uninformed. The problem is that your assertion is far too general and extreme to hold up. You lumped all these towns together and that invalidates your point.

Long Islanders tend to see things at face value. Your town is only as good as your downtown. Ex. White Plains has a housing project by its downtown, that's urban blight, therefore it's not a suitable place to raise a family. Yet, the reality is that White Plains is a magnet for coporate companies and upscale shopping. That would be downplayed and the drug dealing or gang violence taking place in the projects would be the issues of concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Harrison
823 posts, read 2,088,887 times
Reputation: 431
It seems by your logic that Manhattan would be a place to avoid... Just because there are areas of seediness and housing projects in a town doesn't mean there aren't other areas, far away but in the same town, that are perfectly nice.

For example, Fleetwood is a very nice section of Mount Vernon. Sure, if you don't know the area all you might hear is "Mount Vernon" and so you stay away and assume the worst. But Fleetwood has more in common with its neighbor Bronxville.

And nowhere have I ever heard of any of the towns you mentioned as having a "quaint, walkable, downtown" or as being "upscale" for that matter. And why would one housing project in a city the size of White Plains be of concern?

I guess people in Westchester are just more tolerant???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
 
Location: North shore, Long Island
1,919 posts, read 5,139,394 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
It seems by your logic that Manhattan would be a place to avoid... Just because there are areas of seediness and housing projects in a town doesn't mean there aren't other areas, far away but in the same town, that are perfectly nice.

For example, Fleetwood is a very nice section of Mount Vernon. Sure, if you don't know the area all you might hear is "Mount Vernon" and so you stay away and assume the worst. But Fleetwood has more in common with its neighbor Bronxville.

And nowhere have I ever heard of any of the towns you mentioned as having a "quaint, walkable, downtown" or as being "upscale" for that matter.

I guess people in Westchester are just more tolerant???


I read that about Peekskill "walkable downtown" but I have never been there. I also read about some section of New Rochelle, Wykagyl(sp) being upscale.

If you want a good laugh from people who enjoy using euphemism to discuss their intolerance read the LI threads.

Did you ever see that episode of "Seinfeld" where Elaine's friends try to convince her to leave the city, get married and move to LI? One of her girlfriends bellowed in that LI accent, "The City is a toilet." That's not far from what many LIers feel about The City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Harrison
823 posts, read 2,088,887 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I read that about Peekskill "walkable downtown" but I have never been there. I also read about some section of New Rochelle, Wykagyl(sp) being upscale.
Walkable, sure, but definitely not "quaint" which is a word you used in the original sentence.

And yes, Wykagyl is a nice area in New Rochelle. But no one would ever say "New Rochelle is upscale" (although now we are comparing it to other Westchester towns, because in fact compared to the average town in middle America it IS pretty upscale - we should keep that in mind).

Maybe we are just able to differentiate neighborhoods better, and don't let one run-down area ruin the perception of an entire town or city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 PM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,463 posts, read 5,641,261 times
Reputation: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Long Islanders tend to see things at face value. Your town is only as good as your downtown. Ex. White Plains has a housing project by its downtown, that's urban blight, therefore it's not a suitable place to raise a family. Yet, the reality is that White Plains is a magnet for coporate companies and upscale shopping. That would be downplayed and the drug dealing or gang violence taking place in the projects would be the issues of concern.
Well, it looks like you already knew the answer to your own question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM
 
Location: North shore, Long Island
1,919 posts, read 5,139,394 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Well, it looks like you already knew the answer to your own question.

I know how LIers feel, I was curious how Westchester residents felt. It appears that one bad apple doesn't spoil a town in the county north of the Bronx.

Curious, I remember a couple of years back the median price of a home in Westchester was 1mil. What is it today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 PM
 
56 posts, read 285,651 times
Reputation: 39
Well you might as well avoid times square with your attitude. Just because some housing is subpar in accordance to other homes and neighborhoods doesn't mean the town is a slum. You are foolish and primitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top