U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 PM

729 posts, read 1,611,463 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I live in NYC and hardly ever drive. But I have to make a trip up to Westchester and visit a few locations this coming week, on a weekday. I'm taking a brush-up driving lesson to prepare, it's been that long! LOL

I checked out several map sites to plan the route, but some are more user-friendly than others -- so I thought I'd come to the experts here!

Would love some feedback on how long you guys think each leg of the trip will take and if there are any helpful tips for getting around and cutting down on travel time. I'm starting early, like around 8am, and need to be at the Rye location before 4pm. This all has to be done in one day, and I'd like to avoid toll roads as much as possible, but not if it means I'm stuck on a slow one-lane road for a long time. Also would love to know if there are any unsafe areas I should avoid, and some feedback about the Boston Post Road around Rye.

Here are the legs:
  1. Upper East Side to Yonkers
  2. Yonkers to Mt. Vernon
  3. Mt. Vernon to Rye Brook
  4. Rye Brook to Rye
  5. Rye to the Bronx (near Bay Plaza Shopping Mall)
  6. Bronx back home to Upper East Side

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Last edited by citychik; 07-25-2010 at 02:16 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 PM

No helpful hints from anyone? Estimates on lengths f time for each leg? Anyone?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 PM

846 posts, read 2,294,631 times
I'm not too familiar with this whole area, but 2 things:

1. Rye Brook and Rye are right next to each other.
2. NEVER EVER drive on the Cross Bronx. NEVER. Avoid it at all costs, you may have to go out of your way but you will save time in the end.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,502,339 times
UES to Yonkers: not sure what part of Yonkers you need
  • Take First Avenue to the Willis Avenue Bridge, as it's much easier than taking the FDR, since you want to avoid the toll, which you would have at the Henry Hudson Bridge if you were to follow the FDR to the Harlem River Drive to the Henry Hudson.
  • Follow, the Deegan to any of the Yonkers exits that is near your destination. If you need Broadway, just over the city line, exit at Van Cortlandt Park South, turn left, and then right on Broadway.
  • Time: Variable, depending upon GWB outbound traffic, and any delays. 30-45 minutes.
  • No Tolls

Yonkers to Mount Vernon: depending upon the part of Yonkers/Mount Vernon
  • You could take Yonkers Avenue or the Thruway (87) or the Saw Mill Parkway to the Cross County Parkway to Exit 7. Watch the signs as you have to be in the proper lane for that exit.
  • At exit 7, Broad Street, follow to a right on Gramatan Avenue. You can get to Lincoln via Gramatan, if that's near where you need to go.
  • Time: 10-15 minutes, minimal delays, just traffic lights.
  • No tolls

Mount Vernon to Rye Brook:
  • The easiest way is to make your way back to the Cross County Parkway via Gramatan. Take the Cross County east.
  • On the Cross County, move to the left center lanes to stay on the parkway, where it will transition to the Hutchinson River Parkway north.
  • Follow the Hutchinson to Exit 29, which is Rye Brook.
  • Time: About 30 minutes, minimal delays during the day.
  • No tolls

Rye Brook to Rye: depends upon the part of Rye Brook, but both areas are easy to Rye.
  • If starting near Crawford Park, take North Ridge Street south. Take a left at Purchase Street, and follow to the Boston Post Road (Route 1) to Rye.
  • If starting nearer the Connecticut state line, take King Street south to Pearl Street. Take a right on Pearl, and follow to a right on Boston Post Road (Route 1) to Rye.
  • Time: 10 minutes, minimal surface street traffic
  • No tolls

Rye to Bay Plaza:
  • The fastest route is to take I-95, the New England Thruway, south from Rye. However, if you do not want that route with all the trucks, you can continue on another route.
  • You can also follow the Boston Post Road (Route 1) south from Rye. Follow Route 1 through Mamaroneck, Larchmont, New Rochelle, and Pelham, where the name will change to Boston Road. Turn left on Conner Street, follow under I-95, and then make a right on Tillotson Avenue. This street turns into Baychester. Follow Baychester to a left on Bartow to Bay Plaza.
  • Time: 20-25 minutes on I-95; 30-40 minutes on Boston Post Road.
  • No Tolls

Bay Plaza to UES:
  • I would avoid the Bruckner and the Cross Bronx at all costs, so I woudl proceed as follows, even though it's slightly longer mileage.
  • Hutchinson River Parkway north from Bay Plaza.
  • Follow the Hutchinson to the Cross County Parkway.
  • Merge onto the Saw Mill Parkway south.
  • Follow the Saw Mill Parkway to the Bronx line, and veer to the left, toward Mosholu Parkway.
  • Merge on to I-87 South, the Deegan, toward Manhattan. Follow the Deegan to Exit 3, the 138th Street Bridge.
  • Cross the 138th Street Bridge to Manhattan, and turn right on Fifth Avenue.
  • Turn right after a block or so to get on the Harlem River Drive south. Follow the Harlem River Drive to the FDR Drive south to the UES. You could also exit to get on 2nd Avenue if you prefer
  • Time: 35-40 minutes
  • No tolls

I hope that helps a little bit in avoiding tolls, and a guess as to the time it would take for your trips. Have fun!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-27-2010 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: Fixing the HTML code

Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 AM

Very useful - thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County