U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:26 AM
SKR SKR started this thread

2 posts, read 36,371 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I'm starting a job in White Plains in the fall, and wonder where in the city I could live where I could commute in without too much trouble, and that is relatively affordable (ie, a smallish 2 BR apartment for under $3000K). Another priority is being able to get into Manhattan for socializing.

For various reasons I may need to keep my car, and hence drive in to White Plains every day for work. WHich of course also means I need to be able to park (!)

Some friends have recommended Riverdale in the Bronx; but others have said that would be too dull and family-oriented for a single, mid-30s woman as I am. I suppose White Plains is also an option, but maybe I would languish from boredom there too...? I know I can't have it all; but would love to hear any comments as I weigh the options. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 02:35 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,634,955 times
the upper east side...my personal fav.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:19 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,414,801 times
Why not live in White Plains so you are closer to work? That is priority number one. Your commute to the city to hang out is just a bonus (and it's not a very long ride on those trains). Just move into an area in Westchester near the Metro North. Then whenever you want to commute into the city you can. White Plains has a high quality of life as well.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:49 PM

975 posts, read 3,562,544 times
I agree with this--you may also want to check out Stamford, CT -- I think there are a lot of younger people there now. It isn't NYC, but there are bars and restaurants in White Plains. Neither of these places is cheap to live though. I wouldn't live in Riverdale--that will make your commute about 40 minutes (I used to do that commute) and parking can be very difficult in some parts of riverdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Why not live in White Plains so you are closer to work? That is priority number one. Your commute to the city to hang out is just a bonus (and it's not a very long ride on those trains). Just move into an area in Westchester near the Metro North. Then whenever you want to commute into the city you can. White Plains has a high quality of life as well.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:00 PM

That's a long drive to white plains, and there's no where to park a car there unless she's willing to pay 200-300 month for a garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
the upper east side...my personal fav.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:41 PM
SKR SKR started this thread

2 posts, read 36,371 times
Thanks for some input...I am moving from a small town and have thought that White Plains might reduce my culture shock! Any other opinions out there on White Plains versus Riverdale?? I understand the commuting difference--what about night life? I am not a big partier/club goer, but would like to find a place where being a 30-something single isnt a totaly anomaly! Suggestions of other neighborhoods (like Stamford) are great too.

Anyway--I love this site; I am totally new to it, and am learning a lots of bits/pieces about the NY metro area. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:47 PM

nightlife in riverdale is mainly irish pubs and places where manhattan college students go to drink...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR View Post
Thanks for some input...I am moving from a small town and have thought that White Plains might reduce my culture shock! Any other opinions out there on White Plains versus Riverdale?? I understand the commuting difference--what about night life? I am not a big partier/club goer, but would like to find a place where being a 30-something single isnt a totaly anomaly! Suggestions of other neighborhoods (like Stamford) are great too.

Anyway--I love this site; I am totally new to it, and am learning a lots of bits/pieces about the NY metro area. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:46 PM

52 posts, read 550,841 times
Honestly, White Plains is an awesome option for you. There are quite a few new luxury apartment buildings that are going up/just went up that are really awesome.

White Plains has a lot of entertainment options, a lot of bars and parking isn't as bad as it would be in the city.
Plus the Metro North line is right in White Plains so the commute isn't bad at all to go into NYC.

White Plains has awesome shopping, both high end (Neiman Marcus, Tiffany's) and low end (Wal-Mart & Target).

Old 06-24-2007, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 27,371 times
Smile Working in White Plains--where to live?

Hi!

I have lived in White Plains for 19 years, and hopefully can give you some good insight about living and working here.

Firstly, if you are going to work in White Plains, you should DEFINITELY live in White Plains. I grew up and lived in N.Y City for 40 years, including Riverdale and Manhattan (Upper West Side) for 10 years.
The #1 reason that I moved to White Plains is that EVERYTHING that you need is within WALKING DISTANCE. You dont have to get into your car every time that you need a bottle of wine, tube of toothpaste, etc.

"Some friends have recommended Riverdale in the Bronx; but others have said that would be too dull and family-oriented for a single, mid-30s woman as I am."

DULL IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT! RIVERDALE IS ABSOLUTELY DEAD - YOU DONT WANT TO LIVE THERE!

"I suppose White Plains is also an option, but maybe I would languish from boredom there too...? I know I can't have it all; but would love to hear any comments as I weigh the options."

YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL, AND YOU WILL NEVER LANGUISH FROM BOREDOM IN WHITE PLAINS - take it from someone who lived in NY CITY for 40 years.

Downtown White Plains is the closest thing to Manhattan that you will find anywhere in Westchester and yet still have the feeling of a small city.
I live 3/4 of a mile from the heart of downtown White Plains and can walk to ALL OF THE FOLLOWING WITHIN FIFTEEN MINUTES:

WHITE PLAINS HOSPITAL - one of the BEST hospitals in the country.

METRO NORTH RAILROAD (a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride)
where you can get an express train (non-stop) that will take you to Grand Central Station at 42nd Street in Manhattan in 34 MINUTES

"Another priority is being able to get into Manhattan for socializing".

EVERY KIND OF RESTAURANT IMAGINABLE, including
CHEESECAKE FACTORY, OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE, LEGAL SEAFOOD, APPLEBY'S
plus any FAST FOOD restaurant that you can think of plus MANY, MANY small and relatively inexpensive restaurants with virtually any kind of ethnic foods that you can think of.

A TON OF PUBS (mostly for a younger crowd) with outdoor seating located throughout White Plains.

A CITY CENTER with 15 MOVIE MULTI-PLEX and a THEATRE where you can see live shows and live music.

A FULL SERVICE GYM
(Planet Fitness) where you can go to work out ANYTIME 7 days a week (including your lunch hour) for a $10-15 per month membership

SHOPPING AT TWO MAJOR MALLS with every store imaginable, anchored byMACY'S, SEARS, NORDSTROM & NIEMAN MARCUS. We also have a WALMART.

TWO MAJOR SUPER MARKETS (Whole Foods and Super Stop & Shop.

BORDERS BOOKS & MUSIC and BARNES & NOBLE BOOK STORE.

INEXPENSIVE MUNICIPAL PARKING LOTS LOCATED THROUGHOUT WHITE PLAINS. (for both short term & overnight parking)

THESE ARE JUST A FEW of the things that come to mind and remember
that I said ALL WITHIN A FIFTEEN MINUTE WALK of downtown White Plains.
The beauty is that all of this is concentrated in a small area. When you leave the 15 minute radius of downtown, the rest of White Plains is QUIET & GREEN.

You should have NO PROBLEM finding a "small 2 BR apartment" for under $3,000 withing this 15 minute walking radius of downtown White Plains.
RENTALS IN THE HIGH-RISE BLDGS in the heart of downtown White Plains
(Trump Tower, etc,) are expensive, but there are many other rentals to be found in CONDOS, CO-OPS, PRIVATE HOMES, ETC.

I would suggest that you look online at realtor.com for listings of rentals in White Plains.

Please feel free to contact me for any further information re White Plains.
I am on the Board of Directors of a Co-op, and know the city very well.

THIS IS DEFINITELY WHAT IS CALLED A "NO BRAINER".
IF YOU WORK IN WHITE PLAINS, YOU SHOULD LIVE IN WHITE PLAINS!!

Best regards and GOOD LUCK!

Rob
(the "unofficial" Mayor of White Plains, NY)

Old 06-24-2007, 05:16 PM

I agree with Rob, White Plains will offer a better quality of life. Riverdale is nice but has some pretty irritating problems -- parking, hordes of people from other areas with zero class and zero respect for anyone descending on van cortland park on the weekends, students from Manh. college are mostly a bunch of pigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeau44 View Post
Hi!

I have lived in White Plains for 19 years, and hopefully can give you some good insight about living and working here.

Firstly, if you are going to work in White Plains, you should DEFINITELY live in White Plains. I grew up and lived in N.Y City for 40 years, including Riverdale and Manhattan (Upper West Side) for 10 years.
The #1 reason that I moved to White Plains is that EVERYTHING that you need is within WALKING DISTANCE. You dont have to get into your car every time that you need a bottle of wine, tube of toothpaste, etc.

"Some friends have recommended Riverdale in the Bronx; but others have said that would be too dull and family-oriented for a single, mid-30s woman as I am."

DULL IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT! RIVERDALE IS ABSOLUTELY DEAD - YOU DONT WANT TO LIVE THERE!

"I suppose White Plains is also an option, but maybe I would languish from boredom there too...? I know I can't have it all; but would love to hear any comments as I weigh the options."

YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL, AND YOU WILL NEVER LANGUISH FROM BOREDOM IN WHITE PLAINS - take it from someone who lived in NY CITY for 40 years.

Downtown White Plains is the closest thing to Manhattan that you will find anywhere in Westchester and yet still have the feeling of a small city.
I live 3/4 of a mile from the heart of downtown White Plains and can walk to ALL OF THE FOLLOWING WITHIN FIFTEEN MINUTES:

WHITE PLAINS HOSPITAL - one of the BEST hospitals in the country.

METRO NORTH RAILROAD (a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride)
where you can get an express train (non-stop) that will take you to Grand Central Station at 42nd Street in Manhattan in 34 MINUTES

"Another priority is being able to get into Manhattan for socializing".

EVERY KIND OF RESTAURANT IMAGINABLE, including
CHEESECAKE FACTORY, OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE, LEGAL SEAFOOD, APPLEBY'S
plus any FAST FOOD restaurant that you can think of plus MANY, MANY small and relatively inexpensive restaurants with virtually any kind of ethnic foods that you can think of.

A TON OF PUBS (mostly for a younger crowd) with outdoor seating located throughout White Plains.

A CITY CENTER with 15 MOVIE MULTI-PLEX and a THEATRE where you can see live shows and live music.

A FULL SERVICE GYM
(Planet Fitness) where you can go to work out ANYTIME 7 days a week (including your lunch hour) for a $10-15 per month membership

SHOPPING AT TWO MAJOR MALLS with every store imaginable, anchored byMACY'S, SEARS, NORDSTROM & NIEMAN MARCUS. We also have a WALMART.

TWO MAJOR SUPER MARKETS (Whole Foods and Super Stop & Shop.

BORDERS BOOKS & MUSIC and BARNES & NOBLE BOOK STORE.

INEXPENSIVE MUNICIPAL PARKING LOTS LOCATED THROUGHOUT WHITE PLAINS. (for both short term & overnight parking)

THESE ARE JUST A FEW of the things that come to mind and remember
that I said ALL WITHIN A FIFTEEN MINUTE WALK of downtown White Plains.
The beauty is that all of this is concentrated in a small area. When you leave the 15 minute radius of downtown, the rest of White Plains is QUIET & GREEN.

You should have NO PROBLEM finding a "small 2 BR apartment" for under $3,000 withing this 15 minute walking radius of downtown White Plains.
RENTALS IN THE HIGH-RISE BLDGS in the heart of downtown White Plains
(Trump Tower, etc,) are expensive, but there are many other rentals to be found in CONDOS, CO-OPS, PRIVATE HOMES, ETC.

I would suggest that you look online at realtor.com for listings of rentals in White Plains.

Please feel free to contact me for any further information re White Plains.
I am on the Board of Directors of a Co-op, and know the city very well.

THIS IS DEFINITELY WHAT IS CALLED A "NO BRAINER".
IF YOU WORK IN WHITE PLAINS, YOU SHOULD LIVE IN WHITE PLAINS!!

Best regards and GOOD LUCK!

Rob
(the "unofficial" Mayor of White Plains, NY)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County