Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 01:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,295 times

Advertisements

Good Morning. My family has been living overseas for the last four years and we would like to find a community in lower westchester that has a short commute to GCS and a good public elementary school. Are there any elementary schools that offer foreign language in the early years? Are there towns that are more internationally-minded--expats returning or international citizens residing? Finally, we will be renting initially. Do house owners allow dogs? Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:54 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I think that most of your requirements, including an expat community, would be in Larchmont. The public schools are good, Mamaroneck Union-Free District, but there are also nearby campuses of the French American School of New York. FASNY is an immersion French program, not unlike the Lycee-Francais, but you would not have to travel to NYC with the children to take them to/from school.

As for rentals, there should be some, though the area is largely owner-occupied. Most will accept a dog, though you might have to pay a pet deposit, and some do have breed restrictions, so as not to foster aggressive dogs, which can be an insurance risk.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-10-2010, 04:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,295 times
Thanks so much for your reply! Sorry to be slow. I will certainly explore Larchmont, sounds lovely. perhaps Pelham? Do the river towns tend to be me more "artsy" than "international" (to use loose generalizations). I am from Washington, DC and would love to find a town similar to the Palisades area--great mix of people and green! Many thanks.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,529 times
Yes, the River Towns are a bit more artsy, a bit more liberal. Not quite as "international" as Larchmont, but I wouldn't describe them as provincial. You'll find ex-pats all over Westchester.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:55 PM

9 posts, read 42,175 times
I am not sure about foreign languages in elementary school, but I would advise you not to make a decision based on this as they are being cut, by the school districts due to budget constraints. I would also addd that the quality (number of hours a week and general rigor) are not what you may have experienced in European schools.

Agree with the previous poster that expats are everywhere, with there being a large French contingent in Larchmont.

Katonah is a great place to look at. Artsy for Westchester, no chain stores in town. Great little shops, plenty of expats.Martha Stewart lives here and tried to name a furniture line after the town and there was an outbreak of protests only second to that of the Starbucks attempt (they gave up, too)

It is less than hour by train to GCS. My son is commuting in for his summer job as is my HS age daughter. In fact, my daughter is finishing up her HS years at a school in Manhattan (two subway stops north of GCS). When I asked her about moving south, she wouldn't hear of it. Most people end up relaxing on the commute with either sleep, movies/tv (my daughter), magazines(my son).

Old 08-02-2010, 04:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,731 times
Default Moving back to the US and need your help!

Hi Expat repat, I'm interested in the same things you asked about. Will you share what you find as you get home and settle in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County