Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 03:06 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times

Advertisements

We are on about an acre in northern Westchester and it's absolutely infested with ticks. My dog gets them first, but if we don't treat the yard then the kids get them and that just terrifies me what with the Lyme disease risk in this area of the country.

We had a tick service in our former home in NJ and it was only about $60 per treatment, but I called a number of services around here and the lowest I found was $170 per treatment. Also, apparently the laws are tougher in Westchester and they can't apply the stronger chemicals, so they have to come more often (i.e. more $$$). The one we've been going with only seems to last 3 or 4 weeks, even though in NJ we could do it once every 2-3 months and be fine.

So I just wanted to check with other locals- does anyone have a recommendation for a cheaper, but still effective, yard treatment company for ticks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 04:07 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
This is a terrible year for the damn things! We use https://www.mosquitosquad.com/ with great success.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This is a terrible year for the damn things! We use https://www.mosquitosquad.com/ with great success.
Funny- I've been using Mosquito Corp. Unfortunately my post was foreshadowing- pulled a tick off the dog when I got home from work tonight. My last treatment was only two weeks ago and he was only on the short mowed grass, so maybe I should try the Squad instead of the Corp.

We normally do Advantix on the dog once every couple months but this season we're up to monthly treatments.

I hate ticks.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Funny- I've been using Mosquito Corp. Unfortunately my post was foreshadowing- pulled a tick off the dog when I got home from work tonight. My last treatment was only two weeks ago and he was only on the short mowed grass, so maybe I should try the Squad instead of the Corp.

We normally do Advantix on the dog once every couple months but this season we're up to monthly treatments.

I hate ticks.
I do to, especially when you find them crawling on you. Unfortunately we can't use any tick treatment on the dog as it gives him terrible seizures. So we do our daily tick check. After a treatment by the Mosquito Squad, our yard is good for a solid two weeks, then it gets a little iffy...we have lots of wildlife coming through. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:55 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
How visible are the ticks up there? A sr. exec in our nank who lives in pound ridge got lyme disease twice in her life.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:44 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
We are on about an acre in northern Westchester and it's absolutely infested with ticks. My dog gets them first, but if we don't treat the yard then the kids get them and that just terrifies me what with the Lyme disease risk in this area of the country.

We had a tick service in our former home in NJ and it was only about $60 per treatment, but I called a number of services around here and the lowest I found was $170 per treatment. Also, apparently the laws are tougher in Westchester and they can't apply the stronger chemicals, so they have to come more often (i.e. more $$$). The one we've been going with only seems to last 3 or 4 weeks, even though in NJ we could do it once every 2-3 months and be fine.

So I just wanted to check with other locals- does anyone have a recommendation for a cheaper, but still effective, yard treatment company for ticks?
This year has been especially bad for ticks. I live in cortlandt and it has been terrible. I have pulled ticks off both my kids and myself at least twice each in the past 2 months. I usually spray once in May Once after the 4th of July and once at the end of August. This year we have sprayed twice. I will say that after the second spraying, the first week of June, we have not seen ticks on our yard. But instead after baseball, soccer or lacrosse practice/games. Be careful.

I use Steve Peterson's tree and pest service in Putnam Valley.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
How visible are the ticks up there? A sr. exec in our nank who lives in pound ridge got lyme disease twice in her life.
Dog ticks are pretty easy to spot, the deer ticks get about as big as a sesame seed. The deer tick nymphs can be a problem too. After weeding in my yard the other day I had a couple crawling up my arm. They look just like crawling poppy seeds and they're hard to brush off.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I am probably jinxing myself here, but so far haven't found any on the humans in the house (two kids and two adults). I use permethrin on everyone's outdoor socks and pants once or twice per year and that really seems to help, but I worry when I see the kids rolling around in the grass. It's part of being a kid though so I don't want to stop them from having a good time; I just make sure to do the tick check.

The one I found on the dog the other day was infinitesimally small though, so I don't feel terribly confident in the tick checks.

Last edited by NYCresident2014; 06-16-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 02:45 PM

276 posts, read 397,961 times
We use Griffin Organics out of Peekskill. They have a pretty good program that seems to control mosquitos and ticks. Unfortunately, we started them immediately, so we don't have a before/after experience that I can share. However, we always notice that there are more mosquitos when we walk up the street in either direction, so we feel like we are getting something for our money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County