U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 20,005 times

Advertisements

I am glad to find this forum and have found the posts/discussion here very helpful!

Switched job from the city to Briarcliff so although my DH still works in Midtown, we are thinking of moving up here given that we have a 2 year old daughter and plan on further expanding the family

Looked around: Croton, Yorktown heights, Briarcliff, Bedford, Katonah and eventually we feel that lower part of Somer (close to Katonah) seems to be a good fit for us: good school, reasonable commute for me (25 mins driving), easy access to various activity centers/areas, and yes, lower taxes is a main factor, as we are stunned by the 25K+ taxes we saw in the houses in most areas I mentioned above. Yorktown is just too hard for a commute, I suspect.

As one house we looked at is to the west of the middle part of the reservoir in somers, it is kind of an awkward commute to get to either Golden’s bridge or Katonah train station – have to go around the reservoir – I tested it and it is about 15 mins just driving, if adding into parking, walking etc., wouldn’t that add to almost 25-30 mins? Does this seem to be a bad commute, if anyone has done it?

Also, your comments or suggestions on other areas to choose are also welcome. We are looking at 700-900K range, 4 bdr, .5 acre + flat yard and I found it is hard to see anything decent in Briarcliff or Bedford/Katonah in this range – some houses are a bit old some are just backed to the highway/Taconic. I found out some schools in Bedford are not so good (base on statistics on line, and no personal experience) so it gets tricky. We kind of leaning towards the east part now...

Thank you!

Last edited by caramelmommy; 08-04-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM

701 posts, read 3,050,326 times
In that budget, you will certainly get more for your money in Somers. You will find a decent house in that budget in more southern Westchester towns, but it will be smaller, older.

I know people who do the Manhattan commute from that part of Somers. People certainly do it. We considered it. But it is a hard long commute. Your assessment is accurate-- Give yourself 20-25 minutes from the time you leave your house, to the time you actually board the train. Then the hour-long train ride. Then getting from GCT to your place of work. Easily 2 hours each way, for most people. Personally, I don't think I could do it. But others can.

As to commuting from Yorktown, I agree with your assessment. But there is another poster on this board who will tell you that there are parts of Yorktown that are quite commutable, via the Croton train station.

And for that matter, you may want to look at Croton. Prices somewhat similar to Somers and Yorktown, but the town has its own large train station --- And 47 minute express trains. Can easily be a 15-30 minute shorter commute than the area of Somers you are considering.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks! what you said makes sense. Regarding Croton, completely agree that commute wise is much better both for me and my husband. We saw a house in the teatown area which is lovely (I didn't really check posts on Croton schools here, if any), but although Croton high school has a high rating, regarding the primary or middle school in this area, Are they comparable to Somers? Thank you!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM

I believe Croton schools are slightly better than Somers. But you will typically pay higher property taxes in Croton compared to Somers.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,770,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
.... But there is another poster on this board who will tell you that there are parts of Yorktown that are quite commutable, via the Croton train station.
I hate being so predictable!! Although, what I'll actually tell you is that the commute from almost all of southern Yorktown is very doable via either Croton or Mt Kisco.

I live in the Huntersville section of Yorktown and commute daily via Croton. The drive is just over 10 minutes and my commute to Grand Central is 65 minutes. (Leave the house after 8:05, catch the 8:23, get in at 9:10). It is a very pleasant and generally mellow commute--lovely drive into Croton, pleasant train ride with an amazing view. (Once in the city, I have an additional 15 minutes to get to my office across town). You can also get to the Croton station in 10 to 15 minutes from the Teatown section of Yorktown. (Most of Teatown is Yorktown PO and schools, though small parts are Croton PO/schools and Ossining PO/schools).

From the southern Yorktown areas east of the Taconic (Crow Hill, Kitchawan, and Croton Heights) you can get to the Mt Kisco station in 5 to 15 minutes (depending on which area). Obviously, the trip from Mt Kisco will be shorter than the ride from Katonah or Goldens Bridge (but longer than the trip from Croton).

I strongly recommend the commute via Croton (no matter which town you live in). It has more train options, lots of express trains, you can take Amtrak if MetroNorth isn't working or GC is closed (its happened), and the view is tremendous.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 PM

2,402 posts, read 5,453,936 times
Quote:
I believe Croton schools are slightly better than Somers. But you will typically pay higher property taxes in Croton compared to Somers.
Don't worry about any perceived differences between the school districts, and which districts have higher test scores. If your kids are smart and motivated they will do fine in either school district (true for Croton, Yorktown, and most Westchester school districts). If your kids are not academic and lazy, they will do poorly in the "best" school district.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I hate being so predictable!! Although, what I'll actually tell you is that the commute from almost all of southern Yorktown is very doable via either Croton or Mt Kisco.
I forgot to comment on the Mt. Kisco options. The same holds true for parts of Somers -- The option of a 10-15 minute drive to the Mt. Kisco station, as opposed to Katonah/Goldens Bridge.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,770,634 times
Quote:
I forgot to comment on the Mt. Kisco options. The same holds true for parts of Somers -- The option of a 10-15 minute drive to the Mt. Kisco station, as opposed to Katonah/Goldens Bridge.
Yes, totally. The house the OP mentions that is "to the west of the middle part of the reservoir in somers" is probably around Moseman Ave and your best bet for commuting would be to go down Rt 100 and then take Crow Hill or Croton Lake Rd to Mt Kisco. That would probably be a tiny bit longer than the drive to Katonah, but you'll save close to 10 minutes on the train.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Agree! Thanks so much...
I am looking for a positive environment where children enjoy learning and have fun growing up, like what we had when we were young. I heard Somers is a bit "rural" and schools are big on sports and hope that can be a better fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Don't worry about any perceived differences between the school districts, and which districts have higher test scores. If your kids are smart and motivated they will do fine in either school district (true for Croton, Yorktown, and most Westchester school districts). If your kids are not academic and lazy, they will do poorly in the "best" school district.

Last edited by caramelmommy; 08-05-2010 at 08:44 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Thank you! I tried to google the distance (the area I am looking at is to the west of Amawalk Reservior) to Mount Kisco...20 mins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
Yes, totally. The house the OP mentions that is "to the west of the middle part of the reservoir in somers" is probably around Moseman Ave and your best bet for commuting would be to go down Rt 100 and then take Crow Hill or Croton Lake Rd to Mt Kisco. That would probably be a tiny bit longer than the drive to Katonah, but you'll save close to 10 minutes on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County