U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 20,439 times

Advertisements

Hi vevryone. What do you think about freegans and freeganism in NY.
Is there any in Westchester?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 03:59 PM

177 posts, read 444,057 times
Aren't freegans dumpster divers?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:27 PM

27 posts, read 68,304 times
After the taxes here, I guess it is not a choice. Everyone is one :-)

Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 AM

374 posts, read 1,000,546 times
never heard of it

Old 08-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Freeganism is an (www.city-data.com/wiki/Anti-consumerism")anti-consumerist lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on "limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources".
Freegans "embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."
The lifestyle involves salvaging discarded, unspoiled food from supermarket dumpsters, known as dumpster"]dumpster diving. Freegans salvage the food for political reasons, rather than out of need.

The word "freegan" is a of "free" and "vegan" Freeganism started in the mid 1960s, out of the antiglobalization[/URL"]antiglobalization and environmentalist[/URL"]environmentalist movements.
Tale a look at this blog...
SECRET FREEGAN: Rescuing Food to Feed Homeless

I went on a trush tour in Manhattan-it is very sad HOW MUCH FOOD and breads are wasted every day...
Just want to know what do you think about it and if there is group like that in Westchester.

Last edited by Sunflower09; 08-27-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 AM

374 posts, read 1,000,546 times
no way I would eat from a garbage can. I do agree that a lot of restaurants are wasteful. But I understand that they can't know how many patrons they will have each day, so they have to make more than enough. Any they can't just give out the excess, otherwise people would just stop by at the end of the day and get free food.. instead of actually buying something. Also, the places like food bank of Westchester don't take perishables, so restaurants can't even donate the food. So yea, it's a good idea... but the execution (eating out of garbage bins) is very poor.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:38 PM

375 posts, read 1,491,341 times
The idea seems noble, but cmon, going thru dumpster for food? Plains and simple, you're a bum if you have to go thru dumpsters for food. Or if you choose to do so, then, you're some ultra hippie that think dumster diving is going to save the world. Personally, I think it's a name given to a bum lifestyle to make them feel like there's some noble meaning to what they do. Freganism probably shouldn't be defined by dumpster diving alone, but the dumpster diving part just makes it stupid despite whatever else freegans stands for.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 PM

I agree with you...but don't you think waste tonnes of breads and produce every day is a crime...First of all-we spend a lot to grow and produce food (labor, time,gas...)...and then it goes to waste sometimes even before expiration date...just to free space on the shelves...we make our land one big garbage can...

Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,963,394 times
As a rule, I try to avoid all extremists, and extremist groups--they're all too easy and simplistic morally, cognitively, socially, and emotionally-- and freeganism is certainly an extreme. Have you considered the Slow Food movement? Part of the larger Slow Living movement, it incorporates a lot of the same concepts and principles, but in a more thoughtful and less extreme manner. Check out Slow Food Westchester. (I also try to avoid all movements, so I'm not a follower--but it seems a lot more reasonble than freeganism.)

Old 10-06-2010, 05:30 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,721,620 times
Freeganism

Man-up and go buy your own food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: