Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times

Advertisements

We have a lot of family south of here and will want to cross into south Jersey and below somewhat frequently.

Having just moved here, we had our 1st experience with the 95 north and the GW Bridge last night at 10:30pm, and it took us over 1.5 hours to go less than 5 miles into NY (so our 1.5 trip south ended up taking 3 hours on the return trip in the middle of the night). There HAS to be a better way than this. My friend crossed over last week around 1pm and it took her over 3 hours to go that stretch. What a disaster...the lanes are all over the place, people were honking left and right and there was zero order. I fully expected people to start overturning cars at any moment.

Mapquest and Garmin won't let me go around it, no matter how many times I try to avoid it. We are going from Mamaroneck if that matters. Please help! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:39 PM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
Welcome to the traffic mess they call the tri-state area...one reason I moved away.

Take a look at the Tappan Zee Bridge....might be more driving (miles), but you may move along a bit better.

Jim

Old 08-29-2010, 03:01 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
welcome to NY.

alternatives:

1. Garden State to Tappan Zee. A little bit roundabout but worth it traffic wise.

2. Verrazanno to Belt to Throgs Neck which could be as horrific as the GW.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:15 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
We always take the Tappan Zee. After one particularly horrific trip when we took the Cross Bronx and the GW Bridge we swore that we would never EVER drive that way EVER again. It might be longer but in general will save you time in the end.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:19 PM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
Quote:
2. Verrazanno to Belt to Throgs Neck which could be as horrific as the GW.
OMG...don't even consider it!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:34 PM

131 posts, read 439,534 times
Oh, how I miss it! What you describe is your life from now on. The first thing to learn is you will be close enough to other cars to read what they're reading in their cars. How do you expect to get all those lanes merged.They won't hit you. Trust me! While I haven't been back there in a long time, I can't imagine going the Verrazano or Tappan Zee route is going to be any less stressful. You're a New Yorker now! Show it! Remember the proper sequence on the highway is; gas, brake horn. Or is it the other way around. I hope you still don't have out of state plates on your car. The natives go for the kill

Old 08-29-2010, 04:43 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
"I hope you still don't have out of state plates on your car. The natives go for the kill"

Ha...California plates. That could explain the number of people cutting me off.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:54 PM

132 posts, read 514,683 times
Don't use GW if you're driving peak times (sunday night, holidays etc.) I'd definitely use the TZ bridge as well. Also 9 runs parallel up most of NJ along the Garden state if that's back up. May or may not save time but at least with the traffic it's way more pleasant to be moving along then just to sit on the highway...

Old 08-29-2010, 09:36 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Definitely take the Tappan Zee to the Cross Westchester to the Hutch. It's much easier than the GWB when there are any sort of delays. You can divert at 287 in NJ (near the Amboys), but you need to know the status of the Hudson Crossings, which can be a challenge with the traffic reports.

I have gotten stuck in backups forecast for 40 minutes, which are about the time I'd spend skirting the delay, only to end up sitting for nearly three hours because of an accident that occurred in the backup. And, generally, if the tunnels are bad, the bridge can only get worse, because people will divert to the GWB and then take the HH Parkway/WSH downtown.

If you're in NNJ, and can access the Palisades Parkway, it's generally free-flowing, and gets you north to the Tappan Zee.

The Verazzano is even worse, I agree, by the time you get to it, because you have the Long Island traffic with which to contend. It's traffic to LI, and from LI through Queens and into The Bronx. The Hutch can be slow here, but 95 can be the worst option, as the Cross Bronx merges with it, and it's the truck route. It can be bad well into Southern Connecticut, when the Hutch has minor delays.

If you're headed north on the Turnpike, and want to divert to 287, tell the GPS that you want to go to Morristown via Metuchen and Basking Ridge. Follow 287, and when you get to Franklin Lakes, 287 heads north to the NYS border, crossing at Suffern, a bit west of the Garden State, where the Thruway (87) and 287 meet. You want to stay on 287 east, toward Nyack. The Garden State Parkway will merge a few minutes east, and then it's towns in Rockland County. This route can seem like it's a longer distance, which it is, but it can save a lot of time, and beats sitting in choked Turnpike/GWB traffic.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Maybe these GPSes will be the first NOT to suggest the cross bronx?

TomTom XL 340T Portable GPS | Staples®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County