Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 11,519 times

Advertisements

I landed a job in Somers, Ny and will be moving there come November. I am male in my late 20s and I am single. I am looking for an area with a nice nightlife, clubs, bars, but still a relatively nice area. I will most likely be purchasing a condo/townhouse.

I will be looking in White Plains and Stamford Ct when I first come out to look. If anyone has any suggestions on other areas that would work for me, they do not have to be mid sized cities or anything, just something active, or if you could narrow down neighborhoods in White Plains and Stamford it is all greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 PM

18 posts, read 54,935 times
White Plains is probably the best place for you to focus. Compared to Stamford specifically, I think there is a bit more of a "scene" for 20-somethings in WP, and the commute to Somers should be better for you. You'll likely find that a good number of your co-workers live there or nearby as well.

What is your approximate budget, and would you also consider a co-op? The east side of North Broadway is predominantly residential, and the Lake/Main area in particular is quite nice, with numerous condo/co-op complexes. I think co-ops slightly outnumber condos in the area, and they tend to be older but slightly cheaper overall. Either way, I think the N Broadway/Lake/Main neighborhood is great for a young, single person who's new to the area, since it's a nice residential area yet very close to the "action" and conveniences downtown. It also has pretty good access to the major roadways.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 16,687 times
You can try Mount Kisco and Katonah also. Not sure about the singles scenes there. They are pretty expensive places, but if you got a high paying job, maybe the place for you. Maybe you will meet some one rich there. HA. Try visiting those 2 towns for yourself one day and compare to White Plains and Stamford. And try to get near a train stop so you can commute to the city when you get tired of the Westchester night life. I always ended up going to the city more because the clubs in the suburbs were always pretty lame compared to NYC.
Good luck.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM

budget 300- 375k

I would rather not do a co-op

Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 PM

You should be able to find a 1-bedroom, or possibly even 2-bedroom, condo in that range around N Broadway. I agree with hotpprs that Mt. Kisco might be worth looking into as well, but there isn't as young a crowd there as in White Plains, nor much nightlife. I also agree that you may wind up going out more in NYC anyway. White Plains will offer the most convenient train access, but if you're not going out much near where you live, it might be worthwhile to minimize your commute, in which case Northern Westchester might make more sense. If these options don't work, you could also check out Tarrytown, which is close to White Plains and offers some restaurants, bars, and good train access, or Hartsdale, which offers good train and highway access, and proximity to White Plains. As far as I know, neither offers much of a scene for 20-somethings, but I think you'll find some condos within your budget in them. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
There are plenty of buildings in great, central parts of White Plains that you can afford with your budget.

especially around the lake/main/north broadway area.

You can even find something within your budget around where Mamaroneck avenue meets with Old Mamaroneck rd. Although the middle/beginning of Mamaroneck ave are well out of your range (the city center in particular).

Although don't rule that area out, look at some of the buildings on Martine ave, or Maple which are both in very close proximity to the bars/restaurants etc. I'm pretty sure that the condo buildings on those streets are both within your budget, some might be co-ops i'm not that sure though.

Towns like Mt. Kisco, and Katonah are great (really great) if you have a family but not if your a single adult. At this age your just trying to get some action and have a good time, and although WP is small and a little slow you can get that. The clubs are actually safe, and I can honestly say that they are improving. I grew up in the neighborhood so I watched it change over time, although beware there are still plenty of cornballs and flakes whose sole mission is to "block" (if you know what I mean, and the number is higher than your average around here).

Hotpprs said it well, when things get lame (and they will indeed) you can just hop on the metro north and have some fun in the city.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM

It seems like most responses are about White Plains. Why are people not talking about Stamford? Is there a large difference?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Well, both are cities with some nightlife. Stamford is larger overall, but I think the downtown areas are fairly comparable. My sense is that the nightlife crowd there is a bit older, but there might be young folks from fields like finance. Given your criteria and budget, I don't think Stamford offers much for you that White Plains doesn't, except perhaps the shore areas if you prefer to be near water. It would, however, make your commute noticeably longer - your choices would be slower back roads or traffic-clogged I-95. If you're concerned about keeping costs down, though, Stamford could possibly offer a tax advantage.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwc View Post
Well, both are cities with some nightlife. Stamford is larger overall, but I think the downtown areas are fairly comparable. My sense is that the nightlife crowd there is a bit older, but there might be young folks from fields like finance. Given your criteria and budget, I don't think Stamford offers much for you that White Plains doesn't, except perhaps the shore areas if you prefer to be near water. It would, however, make your commute noticeably longer - your choices would be slower back roads or traffic-clogged I-95. If you're concerned about keeping costs down, though, Stamford could possibly offer a tax advantage.
Stamford offers vastly fewer guidos, for one thing. That's a fact. If you want to share your nightlife with Jersey Shore wannabes, head to WP. Stamford has vastly fewer of these types and is packed with young people. Downtown Stanford on a Fri or Sat night is a full-on scene.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 PM

The WP nightlife is certainly not for everyone, including me. OP, if the quality of the local nightlife is of paramount importance to you, you'd be best advised to check out clubs in both places when you visit, but keep in mind that neither location is comparable to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County