Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM

475 posts, read 851,130 times

Advertisements

Oh my let's see. I was born and raised in Mahopac New York but now live in a little country town called Orange Virginia, just outside of Charlottesville, not to far from Richmond, Culpeper, or Fredericksburg. When I left I was only 14 years old and I'm now 41. My parents thought that Florida would offer a much better life for us kids, WRONG!!!! If you like making money don't ever move to Florida. I miss New York alot but I left because of circumstance, not choice, I wasn't old enough to tell my parents "no I'm not leaving," lol.

As far as Virginia goes I think the state is absolutely gorgeous, I have always had an interest in history, and being close to Richmond and about an hour-twenty from DC makes this area a very nice place to live. The Smithsonians are a great place to take the family on a fall day, (Summers are very very hot in Washington, Spring or Fall is best, at least in my opinion). Another plus to DC is that the Smithsonians are all free and open to the public.

As far as Westchester and NYC are concerned, I enjoyed growing up in Mahopac, Putnam/Westchester area but I prefer the peaceful country setting personally. Had my parents not moved me at a young age, I still don't think I would ever had the desire to live or work in NYC anymore then I have the desire to live or work in NoVa./DC. The rat race, crime, rude, congestion, you can keep all that.

I will admit that the fire to return back home burns on a daily basis. I didn't want to leave my friends, I didn't want to leave my High School, I wasn't ready to leave, and I think that is why I have this desire to move back. Sadly however my wife and I have a household income of about 90k a year. In any other part of America, except Southern California, 90k isn't too bad a salary. But in Putnam/Westchester forget it, it's not enough to live there anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,464,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
I see a lot of posts about people moving to Westchester. I'm curious as to where people move to when leaving Westchester? Please explain why you are moving to the next place, for instance if it's because your kids are grown up and you are going to live closer to some other family. Or maybe you are retiring to sunny Florida? Escaping the crazy taxes? Found a better job elsewhere?

I think I am probably a lifer, or at least 18+ more years! But it does sound intriguing to move somewhere like North Carolina with the low taxes and overall low cost of living. Big house and no snow or close to it. Sounds like a dream.
Do it! If you don't have to be in Westchester because you've got a high-paying job here or family and relatives that you don't want to leave, I'd strongly recommend looking into other places. Westchester and the surrounding areas do have things going for it, but it's not the center of the universe.

My sister left Westchester years ago because it had always been a dream of hers to move to Colorado. She went there and never looked back. Beautiful scenery, great weather (many more sunny days than here in Westchester and low humidity too) and a much more reasonable cost of living.

When my Dad retired, my parents sold their house in Rye Brook of 30+ years and relocated to a large retirement community in central Florida. They got a beautiful new 3 BR home on a smaller parcel of land (less maintenance) with easy access to golf, tennis, swimming pools and shopping right there in the development. Everything could be accessed by your golf cart! My Dad was thrilled not to have to deal with snow anymore. And the taxes down there are only a fraction of what people pay in Westchester... even if you've just got a small property here.

I'm looking to leave Westchester too because of the high cost of living here. If you're not making six figures, you really can't live very well here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County