Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:24 AM

11 posts, read 24,169 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! so im apt shopping all day today and found some affordable 1BRs. My question is Mount Vernon zip code 10550. Is that considered the "safe" part of MV? I hear north side south side of CCP but I have no idea where these towns are in respect to highways!!! Mod cut: language

Also, what are the "better" zip codes of yonkers? Ive heard any above 05. Is this true?

What about the "better" zip codes of New Rochelle?

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-22-2009 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 02:02 PM

28 posts, read 117,899 times
I think it is generally the not safe area. 10552 is the zip for Fleetwood which is the safer part of MtV.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:17 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
In that zip code its more of a good block/bad block sort of thing, it would depend where. Mt Vernon isn't really that big to begin with.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 PM

28 posts, read 117,899 times
The best zip code in New Rochelle is 10804. Some of 10583 (Scarsdale) is actually New Rochelle schools and that area is beautiful but there probably aren't many apartments in that area. 10804, however, would be a consistently nice zip code.

As for Yonkers, there aren't any solidly nice zip codes that I am aware of but 10708 and 10710 both have nice areas.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I grew up in a still "nice" part of 10550 and live in 10552, so I can answer your question well.

Most of 10550 north of the Metro North tracks are fine. They are mixed urban-suburban, and have a lot of working-class (nurses, cops, teachers) and in the areas bordered by Prospect Avenue, Claremont Avenue (east of which is 10553), Lincoln Avenue (north of which is 10552) and Gramatan Avenue it is also fairly racially/ethnically diverse. If you have kids, they'll either go to Lincoln or Columbus Elementary schools, which are fine (beyond elementary school in Mt. Vernon is a whole other story you can research in other forums).

10553 I would mostly avoid. The part from north of Prospect Avenue up to it's northern edge (also at Lincoln) is mostly some nice suburbanish homes that look "Scarsdalian" (but go for a lot less) and is fairly quiet, but most of the rest of the zip code is rough (there are minor exceptions, but too complicated to explain here).

10552 - Probably the "best" part of Mt. Vernon. Only piece of this zip I would avoid is the area around Lincoln Avenue east of about Sheridan Avenue where you get a couple of rough apartment houses that sometimes get the police (though the gated Vernon Woods cooperative complex within that area is fine to live in and safe).

I hope that helps!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:06 PM

11 posts, read 24,169 times
tx so much for all the replies!!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 PM

141 posts, read 287,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaisy View Post
Hey guys! so im apt shopping all day today and found some affordable 1BRs. My question is Mount Vernon zip code 10550. Is that considered the "safe" part of MV? I hear north side south side of CCP but I have no idea where these towns are in respect to highways!!! Mod cut: language

Also, what are the "better" zip codes of yonkers? Ive heard any above 05. Is this true?

What about the "better" zip codes of New Rochelle?
eh, mt vernon in general is not a safe area. its ne of those places where u can live on a somewhat decent block and go one over and see a mugging. i lived there for a few years and i refused to let my gf walk to her car alone at night.
even had my car broken into 3 times, thankfully i didn't leave any valuables in there

Old 08-23-2009, 08:12 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syngar99 View Post
eh, mt vernon in general is not a safe area. its ne of those places where u can live on a somewhat decent block and go one over and see a mugging. i lived there for a few years and i refused to let my gf walk to her car alone at night.
even had my car broken into 3 times, thankfully i didn't leave any valuables in there
Syngar, I have seen your recent posts and I'm getting tired of them, they are too negative to the point of some of it being incorrect and was just waiting for the right one to comment to. Some nice parts of Pelham border some not too safe parts of Mt. Vernon (for example the not too nice stretch of Lincoln Ave. I mentioned), would you say no one should live in the southernmost 1/2 of Pelham on that logic? Most of the places where it goes from safe to unsafe in a block or two go under where I say "too complicated to mention here" in my post.

There are significant areas of Mt. Vernon that are not too safe (but nothing like some unsafe areas of the Bronx or Brooklyn) that I would not recommend at all, but there are many areas that are pretty nice too. There are situations where I'd say even avoid those areas (mostly if you have kids and don't like the idea of having to one day in the future move or look into private school), but it would be a lot better if you give some sort of details than just rant (i.e. specific areas).

Thanks, and by the way, I have never had my car broken into in Mt. Vernon and the only person I know who has had it in the grittiest, industrial section of town!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:38 PM

742 posts, read 1,227,877 times
he has a point mt vernon is probably the worst overall city/area in westchester.

btw " i never had it happen to me, so its invalid" is invalid.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:43 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
he has a point mt vernon is probably the worst overall city/area in westchester.

btw " i never had it happen to me, so its invalid" is invalid.
Worst in Westchester. It can't be THAT bad, especially considering the crime rate is around the national average: //www.city-data.com/city/Mount-...-New-York.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County