Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM

10 posts, read 61,201 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I've been a forum reader on this site for a while and I wanted to ask if anyone could assist me with my specific situation. My girlfriend and I are looking to move out of Queens to make her commute easier to her job in Westchester. My job is in NYC. I currently use the subway, but it's becoming an annoyance to be crammed in there every day. So, below I've compiled a list of requirements for an apartment in Westchester

1) At least 1BR/1BA
2) Walking distance from Metro North
3) Up to $1500 per month rent (we don't want to go over this much)
4) No more than a 45 minute commute to NYC (Grand Central)
5) We've rented by owner before several times with BAD experiences, would prefer a building / managed property

Some things that would be nice but not required:

* Allows dogs
* 1 Parking space

Any specific towns / areas of Westchester that anyone can recommend are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,338 times
My advice is dont do it! Westchester sucks...dont forget that metro north doesnt run constantly like the subway...u gotta constantly be looking at timetables so u can time the train and if u miss it ull prob be waiting at least a half hour to an hour.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
My advice is dont do it! Westchester sucks...dont forget that metro north doesnt run constantly like the subway...u gotta constantly be looking at timetables so u can time the train and if u miss it ull prob be waiting at least a half hour to an hour.
Seriously? I've heard there are many nice areas of Westchester. In addition, one of the reasons we are looking is to reduce her horrible commute in the morning (driving)

Old 09-29-2010, 12:55 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
Noleaf, I'm not even sure that the above poster even lives in Westchester, so take it for what it's worth...

The Metro North is completely fine...LIRR, eh not so much. The Hudson and Harlem lines are more reliable than the New Haven one but still, it's generally great. They run every 20 minutes or less during peak hours, so unless you work odd hours, you will be fine. Where in Westchester does your GF work? Might as well live near the line closest to her work.

But I'll be honest in saying that if you want under 45 minutes to GC, you need to be in lower WCH and $1500 is pushing it for walking to the train. Maybe Yonkers or New Rochelle?? I've also found that many professionally managed buildings just won't take dogs...too much of a hassle with other tenants. Also factor in a Metro Card at about $220+ depending on locale.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Noleaf, I'm not even sure that the above poster even lives in Westchester, so take it for what it's worth...

The Metro North is completely fine...LIRR, eh not so much. The Hudson and Harlem lines are more reliable than the New Haven one but still, it's generally great. They run every 20 minutes or less during peak hours, so unless you work odd hours, you will be fine. Where in Westchester does your GF work? Might as well live near the line closest to her work.

But I'll be honest in saying that if you want under 45 minutes to GC, you need to be in lower WCH and $1500 is pushing it for walking to the train. Maybe Yonkers or New Rochelle?? I've also found that many professionally managed buildings just won't take dogs...too much of a hassle with other tenants. Also factor in a Metro Card at about $220+ depending on locale.
@jjinla,

Thank you for the reply. My GF works in Yonkers, although I've heard some sketchy things about certain areas of that city...what about White Plains?

My hours are a basic 9-5 so the train schedule(s) shouldn't really be an issue. I just don't want the commute for me to end up taking forever when all is said and done. From Grand Central, I'd have to walk up about 10 blocks to get to my office, so that alone will add some time. Overall I really don't want it taking longer than an hour if possible.

The dog thing was more wishful thinking than anything. We have wanted one for a while but until we move to an area that allows dogs (large breeds at that) we are probably out of luck. I'm ready to take the monthly hit for a metro-card for the train, but I really can't go higher than $1500 for rent - that's my ceiling.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM

18 posts, read 54,919 times
Unfortunately managed rental properties in Westchester are a rarity - the vast majority of buildings/complexes are condo/co-op - and there are only a handful that are within walking distance to a Metro-North station. There are a few in White Plains that do meet all your non-budget requirements (including a dog - at least not very large breeds), but none are possible for $1500. You'll have to extend to at least $1800-$2000 for a 1-bedroom, and then add parking on top of that, which will run anywhere from about $100-$250. Yonkers may be your best bet, since I think the newer buildings downtown may meet all your criteria, however you'll need to decide for yourself how safe you feel in the area. I've heard the area right around the station is improved but not yet ideal (others should comment further). New Rochelle may have some buildings in your range, but again you'll want to check out the area first. If you want more options, I'm afraid you'll need to compromise on something, whether it's the managed rental, budget, walking distance to Metro-North, or Westchester altogether. Good luck!

Last edited by mcwc; 09-29-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
The only issue with living in Yonkers is that you pay an additional income tax (not sure exactly what) so you'll want to factor that in. I think in WP you pay extra, too, but am not certain.

You could also take an express bus to a train...lots of people do that. Anywhere near a major city - Yonkers, New Roc & WP you will likely need to pay for parking, too.

Doesn't hurt to look, though. There are even some areas in Dobbs Ferry & Mamaroneck that have apartments in a reasonable range. Tarrytown has a lot but I don't know what the commute is. Probably not terrible, and it is certainly very safe.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 54,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
The only issue with living in Yonkers is that you pay an additional income tax (not sure exactly what) so you'll want to factor that in. I think in WP you pay extra, too, but am not certain.
No, Yonkers is the only municipality in Westchester in which you pay a municipal income tax.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:47 AM

4 posts, read 19,529 times
I just moved from Queens to Westchester but my parents lived in Westchester for over a decade. First off, if the dog is a requirement, forget about your budget. It was almost impossible to find places that allowed dogs (we have a dog so for us it was a definite requirement).

I was looking for 2bdrm apts so I don't know if your range is market, but I don't think it would be if you (1) want it in a safe neighborhood and (2) within walking distance to the train. The neighborhoods I looked at were scarsdale, bronxville, wp, hartsdale, villages in eastchester, and ardsley.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:50 AM

4 posts, read 19,529 times
Forgot to add - the metro north is WAY better than the subway. You're not crammed in, standing up, people aren't talking on the cell phone etc. The only down side is going by a timetable. But having also lived in long island, the metronorth is better than the LIRR and subway any day. hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County