U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM

70 posts, read 270,490 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at Westchester as a possible location to move from the Fordham Section of the Bronx. I am tired of living in a dirty, grimy area where I'm constantly looking over my shoulder and prostitutes and Drug dealers are always in my halls. Floors are messy, elevator is always busted and there is no hot water at this moment.

I'm a 39 year old light skinned hispanic male, single with no kids. I work in the Chelsea area of Manhattan. I'm looking for a town to move to that has good shopping, train and bus service (I dont own a car), a decent bar scene. I'm trying to keep rent at around 1,000.00, if possible. Having lived in Dobbs Ferry when I went to school, I would love to move to something similar, yet not so expensive. Any ideas?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 01:56 PM

54 posts, read 93,211 times
Sorry but you won't find anything that desirable for $1,000 a month. I say $2,000 could get you what you're looking for.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:34 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,876,244 times
I would suggest looking into White Plains, rents have gone up a little though. You'd probably have to spend $1200 or a little bit more. You can easily live here and get around without a car and the metro north service is good. The bus service is decent as well, but you won't really need to use it that often.

You could easily find something in that price range in Tarrytown, but there won't be a bar scene. You can get around in Tarrytown without a car as long as you don't live that far from the Train station (plus its an express stop on the metro north).

Dobbs Ferry is a nice town, there's a small part that is walkable but you really need a car around there.

You can also look at Yonkers, there are plenty of places on the east side that meet your criteria.

The thing that i'm wondering from your post is how much will public transportation dent your budget. The MTA just voted for a fare increase so factor that into things if your looking to move to Westchester. The suburban systems are about to get hit really hard with this increase, but good luck with your search!

Old 10-09-2010, 07:37 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,835,376 times
Try the Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon (but not the other parts of the city)

Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 AM

340 posts, read 1,101,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniabeatle01 View Post
I'm looking at Westchester as a possible location to move from the Fordham Section of the Bronx. I am tired of living in a dirty, grimy area where I'm constantly looking over my shoulder and prostitutes and Drug dealers are always in my halls. Floors are messy, elevator is always busted and there is no hot water at this moment.

I'm a 39 year old light skinned hispanic male, single with no kids. I work in the Chelsea area of Manhattan. I'm looking for a town to move to that has good shopping, train and bus service (I dont own a car), a decent bar scene. I'm trying to keep rent at around 1,000.00, if possible. Having lived in Dobbs Ferry when I went to school, I would love to move to something similar, yet not so expensive. Any ideas?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Moving anywhere in westchester without a car will be torture to urself...and westchester rents are not that cheap...if u want to pay 1000 u should stay in the bronx and just go to a better neighborhood...ull get a better apt and much better transportation than u would in westchester.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,160 times
You'd have to move further up north, like middletown. It might have what you're looking for, but I dont know what the Short Line prices are from there. I heard a lot of people commute from there though. Good luck, I'm looking to leave the state all together for the same reasons. stay away from third ave by the hospital.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 AM

2,479 posts, read 5,765,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniabeatle01 View Post
Having lived in Dobbs Ferry when I went to school, I would love to move to something similar, yet not so expensive. Any ideas?
Unfortunately nothing similar AND less expensive AND easy commute to Bronx w/o car. Sorry to say it but you need a new plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County