U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM

8 posts, read 21,268 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I am looking at moving upstate, (from Long Island), and would like to hear what any upstate NY'ers have to say. Areas I am interested in include Westchester, Lake Placid, and the Albany area, in the suburbs, with good schools and safe neighborhoods.

Thanks!

C
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 PM

2,521 posts, read 6,115,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdy_ny View Post
I am looking at moving upstate, (from Long Island), and would like to hear what any upstate NY'ers have to say. Areas I am interested in include Westchester, Lake Placid, and the Albany area, in the suburbs, with good schools and safe neighborhoods.
This is far too vague to get much in the way of meaningful responses - even more so, since the 3 areas you mention have virtually nothing in common other than being north of LI and within NYS. Please give us some clue about your relo objectives, budget, commuting needs, etc.

BTW, many Westchesterites will call you out on calling Westchester "upstate" (though I know this is common practice on LI).

Old 10-08-2010, 05:28 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,324,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdy_ny View Post
Hello All!

Thanks!

C
I'm a Suffolk native living in lower Westchester, take everything that sucks about LI(traffic, cost, congestion, rudeness, general suckery), double it, and you have Westchester.

I went to college in upstate NY,(I actually got Canadian TV channels somehow) its a horribly poor, bleak, depressing place.

Albany is a cesspool-fittingly so. I used to loathe having to go there for work.

Lake Placid is to my knowledge buried under piles of snow 6 months out of the year. Have fun!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 PM

2,521 posts, read 6,115,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I'm a Suffolk native living in lower Westchester, take everything that sucks about LI(traffic, cost, congestion, rudeness, general suckery), double it, and you have Westchester.
Interesting. Everyone I know from LI has told me the reverse. Possibly because this issues outlined here: [ Get Off Our Island ] are more entrenched in LI than Westchester (though we're running a close second ).

Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,147,537 times
Quote:
Disagree a bit.

Grew up in Brooklyn, spent a lot of time on the Island and but for the food, would never go back.

Traffic is 10 times worse on LI. There's some traffic in a few spots in Westchester (Hutch, Cross-County, 287) but unless you are commuting to someplace off Westchester, you can avoid them.

Cost is more in Westchester as everyone who is going to do anything on your house has his hand out -- wait, that's both hands out. I pay to clean my gutters what my dad in FL could pay to replace his. Twice. Car dealers look at you funny when you say you aren't paying MSRP.

Rudeness -- not really. I find the drivers to be courteous. You'll never see people 1. sneaking up on your right at a stop light to try to jump in front of you; 2. jumping their turn at a 4 way stop. If you do frequent some if the Richie Rich areas, though, there is a general snottiness that I could do without.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:34 AM

10,345 posts, read 16,583,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Interesting. Everyone I know from LI has told me the reverse. Possibly because this issues outlined here: [ Get Off Our Island ] are more entrenched in LI than Westchester (though we're running a close second ).
And remember, in Westchester you don't necessarily need to deal with 2 toll bridges (and related traffic) to go beyond your region.

And yes, I'm calling the OP on "Westchester being upstate". It borders the Bronx, that's hardly a big cultural change from NYC. Nowadays, I'm don't think "culturally" Putnam or certainly Rockland counties are even upstate. Some in that sense would even debate the southeastern part of Orange County and the southern part of Dutchess County at least in the last 10-20 years.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:27 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,324,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post

Oh LI does suck, I just think (lower) Westchester sucks more for the reasons LI sucks. Its more congested, more expensive, the people are much ruder, and if you don't floor the car the nanosecond a red light turns green people start honking like mad. That doesn't happen in Suffolk county.

Plus Westchester has tons of village cops with no discernible purpose other than to shake people down for money.

To be fair I find north Westchester pleasant, I really hated living in lower Westchester (picked it for the easier commute). the North is still horrifically expensive, but you have some elbow room and its prettier at least.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM

506 posts, read 1,228,527 times
Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Buffalo, Charlston, SC, or Chicago, can you help me?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:24 PM

142 posts, read 339,902 times
Quote:
Oh LI does suck, I just think (lower) Westchester sucks more for the reasons LI sucks. Its more congested, more expensive, the people are much ruder, and if you don't floor the car the nanosecond a red light turns green people start honking like mad. That doesn't happen in Suffolk county.

Plus Westchester has tons of village cops with no discernible purpose other than to shake people down for money.

To be fair I find north Westchester pleasant, I really hated living in lower Westchester (picked it for the easier commute). the North is still horrifically expensive, but you have some elbow room and its prettier at least.
Oh crap, we're leaving FL for the same reason, rudeness and snobbery-and the honking if you don't floor it the second it turns green, same thing here. We wanted to come up north for colder weather and nicer people, we chose NY cause we are all arty and want diversity, we have a kid so wanted to be close to the city but not IN it so we chose Westchester, I'm nervous now...is it definitely better the more north you go? Like say, Tarrytown/Pleasantville?

Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
I live in Scarsdale (10583) and I hate it. I was born and raised in Manhattan but my family moved here when I was 13 it is so boring the people here are rude and think they are above the law. Northern Westchester is just as snobby. Live in NYC trust me Westchester is dead half the year anyway its only fun in warm weather. However, I do love the beaches in Rye during the warm months and I love biking and rollerblading along the path by the Bronx River Parkway. When I go away to college I will not look back because I need to move back to a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County