U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 PM

71 posts, read 181,199 times

Advertisements

My husband and I took a drive up to Croton this weekend, looked at a few houses and quickly checked out the area. We're still not sure about how this will work, coming from the city and being that far away but, can anyone offer any input:

*Honestly, how is the commute to Manhattan? My husband won't have to do it every day, and me, not at all...but is it painful?

*How are the schools? We've gotten some vague "they're good" from a couple of people, but does anyone have their kids in that district? The high school has lots of sports teams; is the emphasis on sports or academics?

*Any parents have opinions about the quality of teachers -- at any level?

Thanks much, as always!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,882,579 times
The commute really isn't painful at all. In fact it is generally pleasant. The express train is 43-47 minutes, which is not that long. There are loads of trains, so you have lots of options. (The hard part about commuting is having to catch a train--the more options, the better!) The trains are nice, and the view is amazing. I much prefer my commute (which includes a drive from Yorktown Heights to the Croton-Harmon station) to my old commute from Park Slope, which was slightly shorter but a lot nastier.

On the schools, we have many friends who live in Croton and in general they are postive. I've heard good and bad tales. But I'm sure that's true of all districts. You should join the Croton social networking site and see what people say: Crotonspace

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the advice. When we lived on the Upper West Side, it took me around 45 minutes to get all the way downtown and -- you're so right -- it's the quality of the time spent commuting that's important.

Quality of time: It's one of the reasons us die-hard city-people have decided to leave and try a more "civilized" lifestyle. We feel like our time is spent in situations that are just not worth it: waiting in line; feeling rushed and cramped and like everyone's trying to get over on you every second of the day. The "charm" of the summer subway smells and the people who will put you out in a heartbeat as long as it means that they get what they need is wearing off on us.

Do you know a lot of people who commute in, or is your experience that most people who live in that area also work locally?

I'll check out the Croton group. Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM

132 posts, read 481,790 times
We just moved up to Cortlandt Manor (just next to Croton) this month and my husband commutes 5x a week to Midtown. We were only in lower Westchester before but the commute is fine, and as dma1250 said, really pleasant. Lots of train choices and only about 10/15 min more from Dobbs Ferry where we were.

We're not in Croton schools but have heard great things about them- being good for both special needs and gifted kids etc. And on a side note, we've been really impressed with Hen Hud schools and Furnace Woods Elementary where our kids go.

All in all so far it seems like a tight-knit, welcoming community that I think most people would really like. I'd suggest maybe coming up on the weekend a couple times and hanging around cafes, restaurants, parks etc. to get a better sense of what it's like.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 AM

Yes, we'll definitely be going back up to hang out and get a better sense of the community and visit the schools.

Mclairch, mind if I ask why you moved (feel free to say "none of your business!")? Just that we're also considering a town much closer (Larchmont), so I'm curious about choosing a town in N.Westchester, especially when you commute.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM

223 posts, read 761,912 times
Have to speak on the commute too. There are lots of trains from Croton and many run express. The Hudson line(Croton)line is a great line to commute on. Very few problems and the ride is really scenic next to the river. I commute from two stops further South(Scarborough) and my train ride is about the same because of the more frequesnt express trains from croton. The ride does not bother me at all-gives me time for a short nap or reading the paper0my only"me " time all day

Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenimore View Post
Have to speak on the commute too. There are lots of trains from Croton and many run express. The Hudson line(Croton)line is a great line to commute on. Very few problems and the ride is really scenic next to the river. I commute from two stops further South(Scarborough) and my train ride is about the same because of the more frequesnt express trains from croton. The ride does not bother me at all-gives me time for a short nap or reading the paper0my only"me " time all day
Awesome! We take our "me time" when we can get it, right? Feeling much better about the commute issue.

Any input about the schools? Will visit them, but would like a first-hand opinion.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 AM

223 posts, read 761,912 times
I am actuaully in the Briarcliff school district but I think the schools are decent in Croton

Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,126,756 times
Just an FYI, I don't know if the situation has improved at the station but I've heard that a good portion of the parking lot floods in Croton, so unless you catch an early train you might have to park very far away when it rains. And, of course, you have to be OK with living close to a nuclear power plant.

Croton vs. Larchmont? A very interesting combination! Very, very different communities. Your train ride will certainly be much prettier and on a nicer train in Croton, if nothing else!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,882,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Just an FYI, I don't know if the situation has improved at the station but I've heard that a good portion of the parking lot floods in Croton, so unless you catch an early train you might have to park very far away when it rains. And, of course, you have to be OK with living close to a nuclear power plant.
The Croton-Harmon station underwhent major work last year (which took months and months) to redo the lot that had flooding problems (the Daily Parking and one of the Non-Resident lots). That lot was raised many feet, and no longer floods. So there are no longer any flooding issues (and there never were any in the village resident lot). As for the power plant, being 5 miles versus 10 miles versus 15 miles away won't really matter depending on which way the wind blows and how much it blows. The entire metro region is in danger if Indian Point has a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County