Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,579 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear some of your ideas about which town you feel is the best fit for my family.

I'm a young jewish professional, wife stays at home with our 2 young children, and we are expecting our 3rd. We like to walk everywhere, rather than drive. Parks where lots of neighborhood kids go to play is crucial, empty parks are almost as bad as no parks. I commute to manhattan 5 days a week, so an easier commute is a plus.

I don't think Scarsdale is very walkable, but it is a place we're considering. What else is there for us, I want to find something I prefer to Scarsdale. We don't need the biggest jewish population, just a place we'd feel comfortable, and have it include the other factors we're looking for.

Thanks, look forward to your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,855 times
Definitely Larchmont - in the village. Fits everything that you need. But I will say that nowhere in Westchester can you literally walk everywhere if you are coming from the city.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 38,170 times
I would agree that walking everywhere in a Westchester town is a little hard, but if you want something smaller where things are close together I would consider Irvington (small town by the river) and Chappaqua (if you live in "downtown" Chappaqua you can walk to parks, middle school, library, pizza, restaurants, train station, farmers market, doctors, etc).

Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Definitely Larchmont - in the village. Fits everything that you need. But I will say that nowhere in Westchester can you literally walk everywhere if you are coming from the city.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:26 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,442 times
Pleasantville also has a very quaint downtown, nice parks and overall great community vibe.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,579 times
Visited Irvington today, it's definitely an option. That's some hill down to the river on Main St. It was real rough on the river today with 20 knot winds, and the one playground in town is right on the river bank, which would be great on a hot summer day, but come fall/winter really got to tough it out. It feels very safe there, and its proximity to Tarrytown is wonderful. I would definitely keep a boat on the river. Is there another park I don't know about in Irvington, besides Matthiessen?

What's the story with Mamaroneck? Rye Neck schools better or worse?

Is Rye Brook walkable? Can kids walk to each others houses and not need rides everywhere?

Chappaqua is definitely a place where kids need rides everywhere. I grew up in Great Neck, and that's a town that's truly walkable, so kids are really able to gain independence young by not needing a ride to or from their friends houses, they are able to travel by bike, skate, or on foot safely. What town in Westchester can you say that about?

Old 10-17-2010, 08:18 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times
As someone who grew up in Rye Brook, I would not consider it a walkable town. The neighborhoods are spread apart too far to walk from one to the other for the most part, especially between the ones on the Ridge St side of town and those over on King St. Where I lived, on Country Ridge Dr, I could easily walk to and from the Ridge St elementary school and Blind Brook High School, but you couldn't walk to the shopping area from there. Also, Rye Brook has no real "downtown" area with a main street with a sidewalk, and does not have its own train station. You'd have to go to Port Chester or Rye to catch the train.
The areas that have been mentioned above - Irvington, Larchmont and Pleasantville - sound like good choices for what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County