Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Was doing work on this house in Larchmont by the water...its so pitiful....so sad...so miserable....

Such a beautiful Kitchen/house and when you look out the kitchen back door you see the fence 5 feet in front of it.... no backyard, no side yard, no front yard...Land is an absolute disgrace....I would feel ashamed owning a $600k or less property in Lower Westchester.... I dont blame you for leaving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
Would I be flaming this debate by pointing out that there is currently a post 2 above this one where a teacher in NYC was stating that because she 'only makes $60K', she gets section 8 vouchers to live in Westchester??

Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,266 times
BTW I wanted to again mention something about CT's pathetic transportation system. The town I grew up in, Bedford, is now innundated with traffic during every rush hour because of people who live in CT, mostly the Danbury vicinity, who are going to work in Stamford and Greenwich. Because CT has never bothered to upgrade route 7 much, it's quicker for these people to go west to 684, go to exit 4, go through Bedford Village, and go into Stamford or Greenwich, mostly Stamford.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:33 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Would I be flaming this debate by pointing out that there is currently a post 2 above this one where a teacher in NYC was stating that because she 'only makes $60K', she gets section 8 vouchers to live in Westchester??
So how is that her fault exactly? Is it her fault that she qualifies for section 8 vouchers? Did she make the rules? Why do teachers get blamed for the whacked out "system"?

Old 10-28-2010, 04:37 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
No, but the rules in NYC (where she works) said she didn't qualify. So she then gamed the system by moving here, where they have a higher income threshold.

I was mainly offering it up to the person who was flaming teachers in general to REALLY het her mad.

I hold nothing against good teachers, personally, but do believe that every state should adopt Virginia's 'right-to-work' stance. No unions, no tenure.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
Quote:

I hold nothing against good teachers, personally, but do believe that every state should adopt Virginia's 'right-to-work' stance. No unions, no tenure.
I'm a teacher and I agree with you.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:20 PM
VRV

73 posts, read 222,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonuptotheeastside View Post
This makes me oh SO sad and frustrated. My family and I are leaving FL for those exact same reasons and wanted to relocate to NY to be close to the city but not IN the city and chose Westchester. There are many reasons we want to leave FL but the materialism and snobbery are one of the main ones, I hated reading this post! Well, since you're going to the midwest I can personally tell you you'll love it. I'm originally from WI and I still say and always will, they are the NICEST people you will ever meet. Good luck. I feel so scared now to move to Westchester,crap!
I'm looking to move to Westchester too more for the physical, and geographical characteristics and I'm also a little worried about the cultural repuation it has. It seems that we aren't the only ones (judging from som eof the posts I've seen) so maybe it's not so bad. Hopefully...

Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
It really does make a difference allowing people to work for a fair wage without the unions mucking things up...

Old 11-02-2010, 10:35 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
This thread is way off topic with multiple discussions not related to the original topic. Comparative discussions of Connecticut and Westchester, whether or not unions are necessary, etc. are all topics for another thread or forum. Please return to the original topic of this thread. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County