Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:36 AM

12 posts, read 36,658 times

Advertisements

If anyone could suggest specific areas or streets within or outside of White Plains that would be ideal for a single fun career woman in her early thirties to live? I am currently looking townhouses near Hall Ave. and Kensico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megandco View Post
If anyone could suggest specific areas or streets within or outside of White Plains that would be ideal for a single fun career woman in her early thirties to live? I am currently looking townhouses near Hall Ave. and Kensico?
That's not a very good area. Have you walked on Lake street in that area?

Anyhow, I am not a woman so I don't know what "single fun career woman" enjoy. If you mean bars and restaurants, you should be looking at mamoreneck avenue in central white plains. Although, if you are set on a townhouse, you may be out of luck. Give us some more info.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 AM

I never been to the White Plains area and am doing all this via internet and feedback. I would like to live in either a.) a newer apartment i.e. granite, stainless, wood floors, modern build OR b.) amazing location and deal with no upgrades . I am moving from Palm Beach Florida and have been told to look at Tarrytown or Briar Cliff Manor? My friend lives in Greenwich but thats to far a commute to where I will be working at Sleepy Hollow Country Club. This townhouse in White Plains is at the end of Hall Ave. is that ghetto?! Its a new construction!?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I never been to the White Plains area and am doing all this via internet and feedback. I would like to live in either a.) a newer apartment i.e. granite, stainless, wood floors, modern build OR b.) amazing location and deal with no upgrades . I am moving from Palm Beach Florida and have been told to look at Tarrytown or Briar Cliff Manor? My friend lives in Greenwich but thats to far a commute to where I will be working at Sleepy Hollow Country Club. This townhouse in White Plains is at the end of Hall Ave. is that ghetto?! Its a new construction!?
Don't know anything about that complex. But I think its safe to assume that if you want all new you will be in a ghetto area and if you want a nice neighborhood you will get a fixer upper.

But if you have a lot of $$$, you can have both! I still think you are all over the place. I think you should rent for 6 months or a year before you make a decision. Unlike Florida which probably seems like they hit the bottom, Westchester is still lingering and prices will stay down for a bit IMO.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 PM

I'm def all over the place! I am looking to rent under $1,300 a month so no I don't have alot of $$$ for that area!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'm def all over the place! I am looking to rent under $1,300 a month so no I don't have alot of $$$ for that area!
oh you are looking to rent. sorry I assumed you wanted to buy something. $1300 is enough for a 1 bedroom in livable condition with no upgrades.

Your best bet is to use a no fee realtor. But you can do a little research online. For instance, here is a link to craigslist: new york all no fee apts classifieds "Mamaroneck Ave" - craigslist

You can remove the mamoreneck filter and get more results. You can post back here and we may be able to give you some idea of the neighborhood.

I recommend White Plains, Tarrytown, or Ossining as easy commutes if you have a car. Other than that I think the most important would be the size of the apartment, the condition and the amenities. For instance, make sure heat is included. One of my pet peeves is to make sure one of the windows has a clear view of the southern sky. That will help a lot during the winter.

The next important thing for you would be the atmosphere (entertainment). Those 3 I listed are pretty suburban and have nice "mainstreets."

Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 PM

WOW! Thank you! Yes I'm looking to rent!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:59 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,288 times
megandco, I rented in White Plains so I think I can give you some perspective. I'm afraid $1300 isn't going to get you the type of apartment you are envisioning. The area you mentioned, Hall and Kensico... I wouldn't call it ghetto, but it is where you would find most of the hispanic population, for what it's worth.

But if my budget dictated that I rent in that section to get the shiny appliances and what not, I wouldn't feel unsafe or anything like that in that area. But you will be away from central White Plains where you would find most of the shopping and whatever social activities you single ladies like.

Now, if I hear you correctly, the kind of place I think you are looking for (both in location and type of residence), would be something like "Jefferson Place" apartments along Mamaroneck Ave. I think those are condos that people buy, but you may be able to rent one from the individual unit owners. I'm not sure how much those go for, but I think it will be close to $2000, if not more, for 1 bedroom. There are other buildings like this around the White Plains trains station.

But in general, you should be budgeting somewhere above $1700 if you want something "fit for a single female in her 30's" and in central location in White Plains. Your options open up widely starting at $2000.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Main street Tarrytown??? Any thoughts on that? I am looking at studios or one bedrooms under $1,500 around that area as well. . . Tarrytown has an "express" train which I have been told is important because not all trains are the same?! I just would like to find a "cute" apartment where I can drive to "the" gym and shop at Whole Foods! LOL!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Hall Ave. intersecting with Lake Street is where this upgraded unit is? Thoughts still the same? Agent told me it was an up and coming area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County