Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 31,155 times

Advertisements

The idea of a door to door drive is appealing to me. I'm moving to the area and looking at towns. Want really good schools and potentially am interested in a regular driving commute to the city. What is the drive time from Village of Bronxville to Midtown East at around 7 or 7:30 AM? And what about the return trip at around 6:30 or 7 PM?
Same question also for Rye.

Thinking about towns and wondering about the train vs drive option generally. I know Rye has parking scarcity in the train station. Does Bronxville? How much is the monthly parking cost at each? Do many people drive to the city for regular commuting? Why or why not?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:00 PM

956 posts, read 1,208,045 times
Driving into Manhattan during the rush hour will be very stressful. Most people take the train; Metro-North Railroad into Grand Central Terminal. Bronxville is on the Harlem Line and Rye would be on the New Haven line.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. I realize most people would take the train out of convenience and cost but any idea how long it would take to do the drive from Bronxville? the distance is really short so i thought it might be feasible. workplace is about 10-15 minute walk from Grand Central and i may get a good deal on parking.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,577,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard25 View Post
The idea of a door to door drive is appealing to me. I'm moving to the area and looking at towns. Want really good schools and potentially am interested in a regular driving commute to the city. What is the drive time from Village of Bronxville to Midtown East at around 7 or 7:30 AM? And what about the return trip at around 6:30 or 7 PM?
Same question also for Rye.

Thinking about towns and wondering about the train vs drive option generally. I know Rye has parking scarcity in the train station. Does Bronxville? How much is the monthly parking cost at each? Do many people drive to the city for regular commuting? Why or why not?

Thanks
between 40 minutes and 2 hours, with the latter being the exception and the average being an hour fifteen or so. I drive because my parking is subsidized making it cheaper than Metro north. If you have flexibility in when you come and go that can help. Thursdays and Fridays before holidays, take the train though.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM

1 hour 15 on average even from Bronxville? that surprises me. it is only 15-17 miles to midtown and i'm often on the FDR in Manhattan in those hours and traffic moves quickly. the part on the FDR from the UES to midtown only takes 5 minutes or so to cover 2-3 miles. what are the bottlenecks?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 AM

132 posts, read 515,065 times
I'd say it depends how far into Manhattan you go. In my experience driving from Dobbs Ferry if I didn't have to go to far in to the middle of Midtown i.e destination was just a few blocks from Hen Hud expressway it'd knock off 15-20 min and I could do it in just under an hour during morning rush hour. Not sure about evening rush though as I was never driving in for work just play but during morning rush.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,737 times
I used to drive from Irvington to lower Manhattan. I left at least an hour earlier than you do and it took me usually about 45 minutes. To midtown it would be a little shorter but not as much as you think. Most of the traffic was above 59th street and then you often have quite a lot of traffic on the streets. Going home averaged me about one hour and ten minutes. Keep in mind things such as rain, virtually any amount, will add 30 minutes. Fridays going home were brutal, especially in the summer, even though I usually scooted out of work by 3. An accident? A flood? Who knows, it could take you 2-3 hours.

The only reason I drove is because my office was downtown and I had to take the overcrowded 4-5 to and from work, and then walk 10-15 minutes to my building which was on Water street. I used to be really jealous of people that worked near GCT. My advice is to skip the car and train it.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:16 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,577,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard25 View Post
what are the bottlenecks?
Deagan
FDR from RFK to 59th
Getting to office from FDR

Since you're close to GCT if you are anywhere near the Westchester train station train might be easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County